Emulation Best way to emulate N64 on the Wii U?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've never bothered with N64 on Wii or Wii U but figured I'd love to in the future so I'd appreciate a heads up of the current situation.
As far as I know, there's basically 4 options right now due to the lack of a real N64 core in Wii U's RetroArch as well as any Wii U standalone emulator (and by Wii U, I mean Wii U, not vWii):
  1. vWii VC
  2. vWii Wii64
  3. vWii Not64 (a fork of Wii64)
  4. Wii U VC
Did I miss something?
Does anybody know, whether a real N64 emulator for the Wii U with dynarec support is in the works somewhere? (maybe @ploggy or @ShadowOne333 ?)

Apart from that, which of the four is currently the best way to play N64?
Measurements would be:
- Wii U GamePad support
- performance
- no black borders on top and bottom of the screen (as with Mupen64Plus-Next)
- to be honest I'd love to have a rom list rather than injecting each title individually into a VC although the Wii U VC might have the best performance currently?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never bothered with N64 on Wii or Wii U but figured I'd love to in the future so I'd appreciate a heads up of the current situation.
As far as I know, there's basically 4 options right now due to the lack of a real N64 core in Wii U's RetroArch as well as any Wii U standalone emulator (and by Wii U, I mean Wii U, not vWii):
  1. vWii VC
  2. vWii Wii64
  3. vWii Not64 (a fork of Wii64)
  4. Wii U VC
Did I miss something?
Does anybody know, whether a real N64 emulator for the Wii U with dynarec support is in the works somewhere? (maybe @ploggy or @ShadowOne333 ?)

Apart from that, which of the four is currently the best way to play N64?
Measurements would be:
- Wii U GamePad support
- performance
- no black borders on top and bottom of the screen (as with Mupen64Plus-Next)
- to be honest I'd love to have a rom list rather than injecting each title individually into a VC although the Wii U VC might have the best performance currently?
I wish I could say there's a secret N64 Core or Native Emulator being worked on behind the scenes for WiiU but as far as I know there's nothing and probably wont be anything until there's a PPC Dynarec for N64, perhaps the Wii64/Not64 one can be reworked to run on the WiiU? when the WiiSX Dynarec was attempted to be ported to WiiU it didn't end well :P so maybe not.
Or if Lightrec can be adjusted for N64? but again, I really don't know :P

As for what's the best option for N64 on WiiU I think I remember people saying there's noticeable lag on the WiiU official VC so I'd go for Wii64/Not64 @ WiiU CPU Clocks? (only Not64 has WiiU Gamepad support, so go with that)?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by ploggy,
  • Love
Reactions: lordelan

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
(only Not64 has WiiU Gamepad support, so go with that)
Sorry mate, but NOT64 does not have gamepad support. The Wii U Pro controllers work fine with the emulator though.
If you want gamepad support you should go for Wii64 and Wii64 Rice, they performan pretty well on most games and both support overclock on the Wii U.

Reactions: ploggy and lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry mate, but NOT64 does not have gamepad support. The Wii U Pro controllers work fine with the emulator though.
If you want gamepad support you should go for Wii64 and Wii64 Rice, they performan pretty well on most games and both support overclock on the Wii U.
I just learned recently that features of NOT64 were backported to Wii64 so that one should be superior now anyway?
Never heard of Rice though.

Reactions: L0w

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just learned recently that features of NOT64 were backported to Wii64 so that one should be superior now anyway?
Never heard of Rice though.
Well it is being worked on to get the features of NOT64 in Wii64, Wii64 is getting close, but NOT64 still has the best compatibility these days as far as I know. Wii64 Rice is a different version that supports some other games (for example Goldeneye plays perfectly in Wii64 Rice, but has graphical issues in Wii64 and NOT64).
If you want to use the gamepad, wii64 and wii64 Rice (you can use them next to each other) are your best options 😀

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh, I got Not64 - Wii64 Mixed up I know one of them has WiiU Gamepad support :P

Reactions: lordelan and L0w

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it is being worked on to get the features of NOT64 in Wii64, Wii64 is getting close, but NOT64 still has the best compatibility these days as far as I know. Wii64 Rice is a different version that supports some other games (for example Goldeneye plays perfectly in Wii64 Rice, but has graphical issues in Wii64 and NOT64).
If you want to use the gamepad, wii64 and wii64 Rice (you can use them next to each other) are your best options 😀
Thx for explaning :)

Reactions: L0w

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Heh, I got Not64 - Wii64 Mixed up I know one of them has WiiU Gamepad support :P
the not64 only works the pro controller if it is original if it is parallel it does not connect unlike the wiistation for example which works any pro controller whether parallel or not and the gamepad but as we are talking about n64 I think the compatibility of the wii64 and the fact to at least use the better gamepad.

It's good to have all three for those who think it's worth using not64 on Wiiu. I think only Wii64 1.3 is rice 1.3 worth using on Wiiu.

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wish I could say there's a secret N64 Core or Native Emulator being worked on behind the scenes for WiiU but as far as I know there's nothing and probably wont be anything until there's a PPC Dynarec for N64, perhaps the Wii64/Not64 one can be reworked to run on the WiiU? when the WiiSX Dynarec was attempted to be ported to WiiU it didn't end well :P so maybe not.
Or if Lightrec can be adjusted for N64? but again, I really don't know :P

As for what's the best option for N64 on WiiU I think I remember people saying there's noticeable lag on the WiiU official VC so I'd go for Wii64/Not64 @ WiiU CPU Clocks? (only Not64 has WiiU Gamepad support, so go with that)?
About this I was trying to put an idea into practice, for example:
What if the WII64 had the jabo's direct3d8 video plugin? It could even be the latest integrated one, running at the original Nintendo 64 resolution.
I say this because there is already integrated rice, why not jabo?

and also if any control could work on it, like the pro controller wii u, whether they are original or not, with the pro controller wii u recognizing it as a pro controller wii u itself, and the gamepad recognizing it as a classic controller, so neither of them would take the other's place at the entrance when it was time to play.

I believe that at the current moment we should unite with our ideas and try to do the same as what happened with Wiisx, which evolved until the Wiistation came along, like do the same with the Wii64, integrate new things into it, add control support in a better way, this could be within the reach of Anyone who has already modified them will see, with dedication and time, that all of this takes time.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
About this I was trying to put an idea into practice, for example:
What if the WII64 had the jabo's direct3d8 video plugin? It could even be the latest integrated one, running at the original Nintendo 64 resolution.
I say this because there is already integrated rice, why not jabo?

and also if any control could work on it, like the pro controller wii u, whether they are original or not, with the pro controller wii u recognizing it as a pro controller wii u itself, and the gamepad recognizing it as a classic controller, so neither of them would take the other's place at the entrance when it was time to play.

I believe that at the current moment we should unite with our ideas and try to do the same as what happened with Wiisx, which evolved until the Wiistation came along, like do the same with the Wii64, integrate new things into it, add control support in a better way, this could be within the reach of Anyone who has already modified them will see, with dedication and time, that all of this takes time.
I maybe wrong but the Jabos d3d plugin is windows only right? it wouldn't work on WiiU?
Rice is OpenGL which is why it could be ported to Wii in the first place? and as you know WiiU doesn't have GL support right now. :P

Wii has quite a few Emu devs knocking about so that's why you see WiiSX/Not64/Wii64 forks and additions, WiiU on the other hand hasn't got any Emu devs, there are a couple WiiU Retroarch contributors but not any Standalone Emu devs I think? and I doubt Extrems has any interest in porting the N64 emu to WiiU, cool as that would be :)

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I maybe wrong but the Jabos d3d plugin is windows only right? it wouldn't work on WiiU?
Rice is OpenGL which is why it could be ported to Wii in the first place? and as you know WiiU doesn't have GL support right now. :P

Wii has quite a few Emu devs knocking about so that's why you see WiiSX/Not64/Wii64 forks and additions, WiiU on the other hand hasn't got any Emu devs, there are a couple WiiU Retroarch contributors but not any Standalone Emu devs I think? and I doubt Extrems has any interest in porting the N64 emu to WiiU, cool as that would be :)
Rice works in both ways, but it could be adapted to Jabo, which also has an open gl version of Jabo, but in this case, I mean working on top of Wii64's Wii.

It's good if extrems ports the N64 emulator someday to the Wiiu the port will have the same compatibility and graphical defects I could try adapting other plugins to see how it goes the rice used is very old it was cool that happened
but I'm talking about using the Wii N64 as an inject on the Wiiu with changes

like the controls I had mentioned would be good.

and the same could also be done with the plugin (mudlord rice build 6.1.4) which is a more current rice, so to speak, or (GlideN64 rev.be851a3) but this GlideN64 I believe would be too heavy for the Wii, I think because it is one of those plugins heavy loads that came out for emulators, but rice is quite capable too
Post automatically merged:

When I mentioned the other emulators I was referring to the cool things that were added to them and how the devs took greater care in making their emulators functional on the Wii and Wiiu along with support for controls and so on that overclocking can generate.

Reactions: ploggy and lordelan

liveswired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GoldenEye is awful in Wii 64 Rice - GE007 runs and looks how it did in the early PC N64 emulators = Yuck. While Wii 64 Rice renders the sky in the dam, it stretches and squashes when you look up and down, and the framerate is all over the shop at 0-60fps, virtually unplayable. The latest edition of Not64 runs GE007 the best, 20-60fps on Dam.

I don't think we'll ever see GoldenEye 007 run correctly in Wii mode, even with an overclocked single core. We need an N64 emulator running in native Wii U mode - making use of the Tri-Core and GPU.

Last edited by liveswired,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto