Hacking I see that CBHC can be lethal to the WiiU if in the wrong hands, I have some questions

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Trying to decide if I want to go ahead and install CBHC, setting up my WiiU as a family Christmas present this year, I am purchasing games and installing them on the system and want to bring my wii and GC games over to one system. After reading the threads I see that you can brick if Nintendo sends an update or you delete the eshop game, I get that. Questions:

1. Every time you load a new game, the system always goes out to nintendo's servers for updates to that game, and loads them. If i have CBHC will that be a problem?

2. If I have CBHC installed, and a new update comes out, my kids will be playing the wii u, will see it and hit ok to update. How do I prevent that? I have implemented these settings from this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ but that is all i have done.

Blocking Updates:

I recommend using the recommended DSN settings from loadiine.ovh for basic update blocking setup on the Wii U console.
  • Go into your system settings menu -> Internet -> Connect to the Internet -> Connections (or press X) -> Select your connection -> Change Settings - > DNS -> Don't Auto-obtain
  • Set primary and secondary dsn as follows: (check loadiine.ovh for updated IP's)
  1. Primary DNS = 168.235.92.108
  2. Secondary DSN = 81.4.127.20

I have not done this:
B. Block your Wii U's MAC Address in your router settings
1. Go to Wii U Menu/System Settings/Internet/View MAC Address
2. Type the string you see into your MAC address filter (Ex: b8-ae-4e-48-36-fe)

2a Can I do that, and undo it when I need to perform a game update as long as i understand the update, is that a good approach?

3. I will hide the CBHC eshop game from the kids in the settings menu. Is there anything else that could brick the system that I should be worried about?

Thanks for the help, CBHC just seems too risky, just the questions.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not sure about the blocking DNS things, but yoy may update the games no problem with CBHC installed.

Also, don't quote me on this, but updating from Nintendo servers from 5.5.1 (with CBHC installed) to 5.5.2 and then to 5.5.3 when they came out directly from NIntendo, caused no issues.

Only real bad thing would be to delete the game or move it to USB device. But latest CBHC Versions have a protection that doesn't allow anyone to do that from Wii U Settings Menu.

I hope someone else could confirm about the DNS block settings.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi,

Trying to decide if I want to go ahead and install CBHC, setting up my WiiU as a family Christmas present this year, I am purchasing games and installing them on the system and want to bring my wii and GC games over to one system. After reading the threads I see that you can brick if Nintendo sends an update or you delete the eshop game, I get that. Questions:

1. Every time you load a new game, the system always goes out to nintendo's servers for updates to that game, and loads them. If i have CBHC will that be a problem?

2. If I have CBHC installed, and a new update comes out, my kids will be playing the wii u, will see it and hit ok to update. How do I prevent that? I have implemented these settings from this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ but that is all i have done.

I have not done this:

2a Can I do that, and undo it when I need to perform a game update as long as i understand the update, is that a good approach?

3. I will hide the CBHC eshop game from the kids in the settings menu. Is there anything else that could brick the system that I should be worried about?

1. No, it isn't
2. I believe CBHC sets system version to 99.99.99 which prevents automatic updates. You can also block updates using custom dns, but at least the couple recent updates didn't cause any harm.
2a. Yes, or you can use nnupatcher to access eShop
3. Not really. Even not hiding it doesn't cause any problems. The only thing that could cause a brick is moving it to usb or uninstalling it, which CBHC blocks you from doing. So as long as you don't format the system, you'll be fine.

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi,

I have not done this:

1. No, you will have no problems while the game is updating from nintendo servers, even if u have CBHC.
2. You already prevented it, with blocking DNS. The step that u haven´t done, isn´t necessary.
3. Just don´t open the eshop, hind that channel too.
Psdt: you know that for Wii and GC games is just not necessery CBHC, cause for that you need to hack Vwii right??

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only real bad thing would be to delete the game or move it to USB device. But latest CBHC Versions have a protection that doesn't allow anyone to do that from Wii U Settings Menu.

First off, thanks a bunch for the help. Question on your response I quoted above. I highlighted the word "that"... It doesn't allow them to move it to a USB devise, or it doesn't allow them to delete it, or both?

1. No, it isn't
2. I believe CBHC sets system version to 99.99.99 which prevents automatic updates. You can also block updates using custom dns, but at least the couple recent updates didn't cause any harm.
2a. Yes, or you can use nnupatcher to access eShop
3. Not really. Even not hiding it doesn't cause any problems. The only thing that could cause a brick is moving it to usb or uninstalling it, which CBHC blocks you from doing. So as long as you don't format the system, you'll be fine.
Thanks to you as well, same question, it blocks you from doing both? moving to usb and uninstalling?

1. No, you will have no problems while the game is updating from nintendo servers, even if u have CBHC.
2. You already prevented it, with blocking DNS. The step that u haven´t done, isn´t necessary.
3. Just don´t open the eshop, hind that channel too.
Psdt: you know that for Wii and GC games is just not necessery CBHC, cause for that you need to hack Vwii right??

Hey thanks to you as well, very helpful, especially your answer to item 2.
On 3, What are you saying about "Just don´t open the eshop, hind that channel too." what does that mean?

UUMAS hit it on the head, I want to do injects...

Question 4... Can I have CBHC and make eshop purchases?
Question 5... WiiU has free online play, can I do that as well if I have CBHC?

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just don’t use CBHC. If anything goes wrong - file system corruption, anything - you are bricked. It’s not really that big of a deal to tap the big ‘Haxchi’ button once per cold boot.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just don’t use CBHC. If anything goes wrong - file system corruption, anything - you are bricked. It’s not really that big of a deal to tap the big ‘Haxchi’ button once per cold boot.
I showed my 4 yr old the 'hold A' everytime when she wants to play Minecraft because of this fear that one press might go completely wrong and sometimes I'm gone cooking in the kitchen or cleaning. I appreciate the 'hold A' to launch feature very much as it is user friendly. CBHC sounds very convenient but there is great risk.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I showed my 4 yr old the 'hold A' everytime when she wants to play Minecraft because of this fear that one press might go completely wrong and sometimes I'm gone cooking in the kitchen or cleaning. I appreciate the 'hold A' to launch feature very much as it is user friendly. CBHC sounds very convenient but there is great risk.

Hold a?

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
On 3, What are you saying about "Just don´t open the eshop, hind that channel too." what does that mean?

Question 5... WiiU has free online play, can I do that as well if I have CBHC?[/QUOTE]

On 3: I mean that, personally, would not recommend to use Eshop while you are on CFW, i mean in CBHC... If you will purchase legit games from eshop, just do it via the normal Wii U menu... BTW, i hack mi Wii U to install Wii U games via Wup Installer (free games) but you haven´t talk about that, so, just that.
Question 4: You can, but i highly recommend to not do it while u are on CFW (after launch CBHC).
Question 5: Yees you can play online while u have CBHC, it will work perfectly. We just recommend to not cheat online.
Psdt: If you wanna use inject games go ahead, but it will not work with the GameCube one´s... for that, you first need The official unpatched IOS58. Another reason on why i recommend to hack vWii.

Last edited by Escorpion,

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Question 5... WiiU has free online play, can I do that as well if I have CBHC?

On 3: I mean that, personally, would not recommend to use Eshop while you are on CFW, i mean in CBHC... If you will purchase legit games from eshop, just do it via the normal Wii U menu... BTW, i hack mi Wii U to install Wii U games via Wup Installer (free games) but you haven´t talk about that, so, just that.
Question 4: You can, but i highly recommend to not do it while u are on CFW (after launch CBHC).
Question 5: Yees you can play online while u have CBHC, it will work perfectly. We just recommend to not cheat online.
Psdt: If you wanna use inject games go ahead, but it will not work with the GameCube one´s... for that, you first need The official unpatched IOS58. Another reason on why i recommend to hack vWii.[/QUOTE]

Psdt 2: I would highly recommend to just leave the Wii U with the original Menu (mine for example is on 5.5.1 with DNS blocked), and install all the games you want via Wup Installer to de HDD (except for eshop games or dlc, cause that one´s need CFW), as the console gonna be for Kids. Also, they will can play Wii and Gamecube games without haxchi, CBHC, or anything like that... ur choice.

Last edited by Escorpion,

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psdt: If you wanna use inject games go ahead, but it will not work with the GameCube one´s... for that, you first need The official unpatched IOS58. Another reason on why i recommend to hack vWii.

Psdt 2: I would highly recommend to just leave the Wii U with the original Menu (mine for example is on 5.5.1 with DNS blocked), and install all the games you want via Wup Installer to de HDD (except for eshop games or dlc, cause that one´s need CFW), as the console gonna be for Kids. Also, they will can play Wii and Gamecube games without haxchi, CBHC, or anything like that... ur choice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you again for the help, additional questions...
If you install CBHC, its there everytime you turn on the machine, right? No real way to not be in CBHC if it is installed, correct?
For clarity are you using CFW (Custom Firmware) interchangeably with CBHC?

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thank you again for the help, additional questions...
If you install CBHC, its there everytime you turn on the machine, right? No real way to not be in CBHC if it is installed, correct?
For clarity are you using CFW (Custom Firmware) interchangeably with CBHC?[/QUOTE]

1. Correct. is there a way to not be in CBHC holding home menu during the turn on of the console.
2. Well. When the console boot CBHC, you are automatically in CFW, that´s why you can play eshop games or dlc for free.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JifeTheTurkey, you might be giving me what would really help. what are you talking about with 'hold A'? What is your setup, what are you doing?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
JifeTheTurkey, you might be giving me what would really help. what are you talking about with 'hold A'? What is your setup, what are you doing?
You don’t have to hold A when you boot up Haxchi. You can program it to boot up to custom firmware with a single press and boot homebrew menu by holding A.

I use to have this set up till I got lazy and installed Coldboot. Now I just turn on the console and I’m automatically set to load retroarch and other stuff.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure exactly how it all got installed the way it did. I followed instructions from video tutorials and from the wii u hacks guide. I ended up with a different logo than the one I've seen in screenshots. Its just a big lowercase "h", I did the haxchi method and I think that's what loads with the 'hold a' but when I dont i get in the homebrew launcher and can launch mocha. They don't do anything different that I can tell. I'ts just that if I don't do that then I can't play games that have updates or dlc but other titles that don't have either can be loaded upon cold startup. I can take pics to show you what i mean.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don’t have to hold A when you boot up Haxchi. You can program it to boot up to custom firmware with a single press and boot homebrew menu by holding A.

I use to have this set up till I got lazy and installed Coldboot. Now I just turn on the console and I’m automatically set to load retroarch and other stuff.

I'm not sure exactly how it all got installed the way it did. I followed instructions from video tutorials and from the wii u hacks guide. I ended up with a different logo than the one I've seen in screenshots. Its just a big lowercase "h", I did the haxchi method and I think that's what loads with the 'hold a' but when I dont i get in the homebrew launcher and can launch mocha. They don't do anything different that I can tell. I'ts just that if I don't do that then I can't play games that have updates or dlc but other titles that don't have either can be loaded upon cold startup. I can take pics to show you what i mean.

Mine does this... I can play installed wii U games no problem. I cannot play injected games unless I first go into haxchi and hold B, then when it comes back to the wii menu I can go into a game, but when I leave the game, to play another one I have to go into haxchi and hold B again. I have a separate homebrew launcher but I cannot use it unless I go through haxchi with B first. Seams like I am doing it wrong.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Mine does this... I can play installed wii U games no problem. I cannot play injected games unless I first go into haxchi and hold B, then when it comes back to the wii menu I can go into a game, but when I leave the game, to play another one I have to go into haxchi and hold B again. I have a separate homebrew launcher but I cannot use it unless I go through haxchi with B first. Seams like I am doing it wrong.
It does that when I had injected GameCube games. I have to reload Haxchi everytime I wanted to play a different game. Coldboot you don’t have to load everytime. It automatically does it for you. Its way more convenient.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a separate homebrew launcher but I cannot use it unless I go through haxchi with B first.
I ended up with two as well, not sure how that happened lol one says "the homebew launcher" and that can't be loaded until I load the "h" logo homebrew channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1