Homebrew Question i had an idea but dont know if to could work.

Shawnm355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i was modding skyrim today and was thinking about how lazy the port was. (cause we can easily use sse mods) and it got me thinking. can we use layered fs to put fallout 4 over the skyrim port? since they run in almost the same engine i was wondering if it was possible. or to at least take the game apart and inject fallout. i dont know much about programing and stuff but if someone could at least push me in the right direction to do it if possible i would love to. thanks for the help and advice.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was modding skyrim today and was thinking about how lazy the port was. (cause we can easily use sse mods) and it got me thinking. can we use layered fs to put fallout 4 over the skyrim port? since they run in almost the same engine i was wondering if it was possible. or to at least take the game apart and inject fallout. i dont know much about programing and stuff but if someone could at least push me in the right direction to do it if possible i would love to. thanks for the help and advice.
This will not work.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats not how engines work. with that logic, any UE4 game can be ported over another UE4 game(obviously not true)

Shawnm355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats not how engines work. with that logic, any UE4 game can be ported over another UE4 game(obviously not true)
thats not at all what im saying. what im asking is like saying if someone built a engine port for unreal 4 how many games could we run with it universally., with your example. and people have used one game from an engine to get other working. but that had some unencrypted files. (source: undertale used for am2r) but if its not possible its not possible

Last edited by Shawnm355,

GibboHull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see where the logic behind your idea comes from but it is literally not possible.

I think the best place to start would be that both games don't run in the exact same engine, the base may be the same but various tweaks will have been made to accommodate the creation of Fallout.

It's also (unfortunately!) just not how porting works, using your unreal engine 4 example, unreal just provides you with a base that you can build upon, you wouldn't be able to just drag all of the assets from dragon ball fighterz into an unreal project and have the exact same game in front of you.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can see where the logic behind your idea comes from but it is literally not possible.

I think the best place to start would be that both games don't run in the exact same engine, the base may be the same but various tweaks will have been made to accommodate the creation of Fallout.

It's also (unfortunately!) just not how porting works, using your unreal engine 4 example, unreal just provides you with a base that you can build upon, you wouldn't be able to just drag all of the assets from dragon ball fighterz into an unreal project and have the exact same game in front of you.
I mean, it's too much to say it's not possible, it's possible, but you either need the source code or to reverse engineer the game you wanna port. The only possible scenario, in case Bethesda don't get their servers hacked and dumped, is to reverse engineer Fallout, could take some decades of work tho.

GibboHull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, it's too much to say it's not possible, it's possible, but you either need the source code or to reverse engineer the game you wanna port. The only possible scenario, in case Bethesda don't get their servers hacked and dumped, is to reverse engineer Fallout, could take some decades of work tho.

Yeah but then you wouldn't be running Fallout 4 through the switches version of Skyrim you would have literally just ported Fallout 4 to the Switch. Which if anyone is reading this and wants to do it I would 100% spend 100 hours playing that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/OUPRttnIyio?si=bm-9qNqiusvshBAz