HW_AHBPROT modification steps or guide?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by officialjunk, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    The nice thing about just patching the IOS is that you can use the code it already has to access the hardware. Having the PPC talk to it directly means having to write drivers from scratch.

harder, but doable.

2. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Interesting. Mega had it sound like it did not need patches/drivers. Unless I misunderstood his post. Or he did not go inti driver detail.

3. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    For a lot of things a driver is just a couple lines of code. For other's it's huge and complicated. Basically by "driver" I just mean you would have to tell the program how to interact with that part of the hardware instead if just asking the IOS to do it for you.

4. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm going to make a wild assumption here: Presumably IOS will have already mounted /dev/flash. This would mean all the PPC code would have to do is actually read it, which unless I'm mistaken shouldn't require much code.

Full disclaimer: I don't know if this is the case. Nor do I know how you would read it from PPC. But it seems logical to me.

5. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for explaining that. Lots of info flowing, including Marcan's twitter;-)

6. davebaol

davebaol GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2010
    Italy
    Ok I've just looked into IOS code and they completely removed /dev/flash device from any recent ios.
    So the approach proposed by megazig is definitely the clean way to proceed.
    With AHB rights PPC can write to the NAND hw registers which are documented here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Hardware/NAND_Interface
    Also nand.c from mini - see http://gitweb.bootmii.org/?p=mini.git;a=summary - is a good starting point. it's basically a reverse engineered /dev/flash.
    Porting that code to PPC should be easy enough, I guess.
    Anyways I'm not really interested in, so I won't do it.
    I wanted to share though.

Maxternal, Ray Lewis and damysteryman like this.
  7. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    Thanks a heap for looking into this davebaol :D

8. davebaol

davebaol GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2010
    Italy
    You're welcome.
    I do it for fun :)

9. officialjunk
    OP

officialjunk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for everyone's insights. When I have some time I'll make an attempt. Of course I get slammed at work the moment I began to be interested in this :(

10. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    That's exactly why I quit working on [insert something complicated that I don't understand]. ;)

Maxternal likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted