Tutorial  Updated

How to install eShop games with SX OS

I am NOT responsible if you get banned or somehow mange to brick your switch

Prerequisites​
  • Have a working SX OS licenses and have it set up​
  • Have a copy of devmenu (I can't link to this here you'll have to find it yourself)​
  • A micro SD card​
  • OPTIONAL put your switch into airplane mode before doing this​

Part One: Setting up your SD card

Plug your SD card into your PC. Create a folder called sxos, then create a folder inside of that and name it titles. Once you have done that create another folder and name it with the title ID for the game you plan on layeredfs-ing.

In my case it's Pokémon Quest so my file structure looks like this sxos\titles\01005D100807A000. Now put the romfs and exefs for devmenu in that folder. (I'm assuming that the copy of devmenu you have is already in layeredfs format.)
Finally put the NSP for the game you plan on installing on the root of your SD card.
At this point your SD card should look something like this
sx.PNG

Part Two:Installing the NSP

Boot into SX OS and choose "Boot custom FW". Launch the donner title that you are using (again in my case Pokemon Quest)

You should see this come up on your screen.
2018070319015800-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

Select the install from SD option. The NSP you have should now appear on screen, press A to start the installation.

fixed.png

You can choose either install to SD or system memory. After selecting that press A one again.

2018070319072100-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

The NSP should now start installing.

2018070319091400-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

Wait a few minutes and the install should finish
2018070319133100-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

It is now safe to go back to the home menu and close out of devmenu
2018070319134300-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

After closing out of devmenu your new game should show up
2018070319134600-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Enjoy!
2018070314364100-B078B511A5B781471916CCD172F8038E.jpg

Last edited by snails1221,

KnightHart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Anyone figure out a way to get exfat cards working? I have tried everything I could find online and only fat32 seems to work.
When I inserted my exfat card into console it asked me to update frimware. I restarted switch and booted in official frimware, updated it and then booted up in sx mode again. My exfat card works now.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How high is the ban risk for this if one never goes online during it?
Can't get banned if you never go online ;)

In all seriousness, we don't know but since Nintendo can theoretically tell if you pirated an eShop title if you go online, it would seem less safe than going online with a .XCI (because Nintendo cannot verify that you own that .XCI)

Reactions: fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't get banned if you never go online ;)

In all seriousness, we don't know but since Nintendo can theoretically tell if you pirated an eShop title if you go online, it would seem less safe than going online with a .XCI (because Nintendo cannot verify that you own that .XCI)
Thank you for a constructive answer!

Forbidden76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We don't know what traces DevMenu would leave in the system, if any, when we run it on the Switch. It is their intellectual property and it could be safe to assume they implemented checks in the event it got leaked, similar to the one for the 3DS.

DevMenu is Nintendo's own personal program so it is on the same level as a warez meaning it will not be shared here in any capacity. However, the Internet is a large place and there are plenty of sights who may have the files.

Hello God Draxzelex,

Im on 5.1 with licensed 1.4 SX OS. How do I install DLC?
I know this guide was made for 1.3 SX OS but I try to install .nsp DLC from the new SX OS menu and when I go back to home screen a blank white game icon just spins.
It says it installed fine when I installed the DLC but obviously something is wrong. I tried to install DLC to internal and microsd with same result.
Sorry if this is very noob. I am seeing double vision from long work week and playing too much with my Switch :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello God Draxzelex,

Im on 5.1 with licensed 1.4 SX OS. How do I install DLC?
I know this guide was made for 1.3 SX OS but I try to install .nsp DLC from the new SX OS menu and when I go back to home screen a blank white game icon just spins.
It says it installed fine when I installed the DLC but obviously something is wrong. I tried to install DLC to internal and microsd with same result.
Sorry if this is very noob. I am seeing double vision from long work week and playing too much with my Switch :)
Is your game fully up to date? DLC has compatibility issues if the game its designed for is not on the latest version.

Reactions: Forbidden76

Forbidden76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is your game fully up to date? DLC has compatibility issues if the game its designed for is not on the latest version.

Told you you were a God.
Thanks for the help.
Got the eshop version of same game.
Couldnt find update for xci of it in database.
DLC is working now. Thank you.

Retrospectre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Birthday last week so I'll be buying a Switch very soon. I want to homebrew it so I can pirate games, what exactly will I need? (I've never looked at homebrewing before so most of the comments in this thread confused me, I'd apprecaite it if someone could talk me through how to homebrew and pirate in a simple way :P)

Forbidden76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Birthday last week so I'll be buying a Switch very soon. I want to homebrew it so I can pirate games, what exactly will I need? (I've never looked at homebrewing before so most of the comments in this thread confused me, I'd apprecaite it if someone could talk me through how to homebrew and pirate in a simple way :P)

Happy belated bday.
This should help you get started.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

Forbidden76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Quick question that I have searched but cannot find answer to.
Can i rename .xci files on the sd card since naming convention is bizarre or would you suggest to leave names as is?
Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question that I have searched but cannot find answer to.
Can i rename .xci files on the sd card since naming convention is bizarre or would you suggest to leave names as is?
Thanks for your time and wisdom.
If they work, I see no reason to rename them. But if you want to, it should not affect the ability for them to play.

Mikenuun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can someone point out the benefits of .NSP in stead of .XGI ?

I can see you can choose to install .NSP to the system memory of the switch,
But are there any other benefits ? Is .XGI loading slow ?

Im still waiting to receive my SX PRO :-)

Forbidden76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Can someone point out the benefits of .NSP in stead of .XGI ?

I can see you can choose to install .NSP to the system memory of the switch,
But are there any other benefits ? Is .XGI loading slow ?

Im still waiting to receive my SX PRO :-)

XCI is a cartridge image.
Think of NSP as a eShop download.
They will load same speed.
XCI might be safer to use but nobody knows for sure.

KnightHart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
XCI is a cartridge image.
Think of NSP as a eShop download.
They will load same speed.
XCI might be safer to use but nobody knows for sure.
I don't think XCI is safe. My switch got banned when most of games I played was in XCI format. NSP games I always played in airplane mode with turned off wi-fi. So that means that XCI isn't safe at all or switch saved my play history offline and sent it to big N servers and they noticed that games I played wasn't bought on any of my accounts.

mr sp0ck

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi guys, i have a few questions before i start with eshop titles.

First my Setup: Switch 5.1, SX Pro 1.5

I want to install some eshop titles and play them offline while on CFW.
What happens when i switch to ofw to play my own games online?
Do the eshop titles try to update themselfe or are they even present while on ofw?

I ask because i dont want to get the bannhamer while playing the games i legit own.

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings mr sp0ck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?