Homebrew Question How is Nintendo 64, Gamecube and PS2 emulation coming along?

Malcolm-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Again: you did not got my point at all. If you want to flame someone go to other comunity. I (and all people here) don't need to read this just because you missunderstood.

Edit: also, the end of this. I'm not going to loose more time with people that cannot read a simple post.

I understood your point perfectly fine. However, the truth is you didn't simply point out issues in a piece of software. You rebuked people simply for mentioning it as if they were infecting the OP with some deadly illness. No one told OP to install the emulators and OP themselves never asked. You jumped the gun.

Also don't make claims about peoples reading and comprehensions skills when your post is riddled with misspelling and awful sentence structure.

It's entirely feasible that the OP may have decided to have a go with any of the emulators mentioned in any reply to his post and it is therefore totally correct that he would be warned of the dangers of doing so. Anybody who saw this warning as an attack on the software itself or the developer seriously needs their head looking at.

OP has no idea about the current state of emulators in the switch scene yet you think he's perfectly capable of installing Linux and then Lakka on his switch all by himself simply because someone mentioned it in a thread? He won't need to read any of the countless guides and threads on this site? All of which clearly outline the issues? No.

Expect their post was relevant to the topic. Being that the setup is used for emulation, it is thus part of the current state of emulation on the Switch. Pointing out flaws is relevant and suggesting people not use something that has possible risks is also relevant.

Again. No one said "don't point out flaws". However they need to be accurate and you also need to actually point them out. Not say try and censor people for mentioning a emulator which as you said is "relevant to the topic".

Reactions: Kallus

Proto-Propski

Legally Weird!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
are you kidding me? "too fast"? that's insane

I Know Right!... Whenever I find myself testing a PSP emulator I usually load up HM: Project Diva as it's a Rhythm game that requires precise button inputs, so it's a perfect fit to see if an emulator is playable at respectful speeds... I was getting a small FPS drop at 1080p (most settings only managed a frame, or two improvement), but at 720p it started to run well over full speed, so if they work out how to set a cap for the FPS we could see a fully playable PSP emulator running at least at 720p which is the Switch's screen resolution anyway.

I'm excited for sound emulation too, Project Diva looked really good on my Switch

cBItLrH.jpg

Last edited by Proto-Propski, , Reason: spelling

Hondyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Twistedziefer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not. At least, nor for end user. I know the feel of having something that works pretty fine but you have to be consecuent and think twice about who you recomend it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why should I? I'd do it if I want or have some time, but the thing is I don't want to. But in the other hand, I also don't give to someone I don't know something I programmed (or optimized, in this case) if I'm 100% sure it'll break something he has.
I would recommend lakka for 3d emulation there is no battery problem any longer and there is sound atm its through bluetooth speakers and once the sound driver is done it will have native sound.

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
PS2 emulation on Switch will not happen. PCSX2's code base is incredibly convoluted and would require some ground up reworking to be portable enough to reach other platforms. Even if a great, portable emulator did come to ARM and then Switch, I just can't see Switch emulating a complex hardware like a PS2 very well. It's much more difficult than a more straightforward platform like Dreamcast or GameCube, and was in some regards much more powerful (despite being a generally weak system), making emulation very tricky.

GameCube is feasible, but it will depend on how good Dolphin's speed on ARM devices gets. I'm skeptical based on speeds from the faster Shield TV, but it's not out of the question.

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 emulation on Switch will not happen. PCSX2's code base is incredibly convoluted and would require some ground up reworking to be portable enough to reach other platforms. Even if a great, portable emulator did come to ARM and then Switch, I just can't see Switch emulating a complex hardware like a PS2 very well. It's much more difficult than a more straightforward platform like Dreamcast or GameCube, and was in some regards much more powerful (despite being a generally weak system), making emulation very tricky.

GameCube is feasible, but it will depend on how good Dolphin's speed on ARM devices gets. I'm skeptical based on speeds from the faster Shield TV, but it's not out of the question.
Did you seriously just bump a thread from May?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mmmm many people are mentioning the no-audio thing from Lakka.
From what I'm seeing and my experience with Linux, I think this might come down to a fact that the reason why we got no audio is because there is no current driver for the Switch's audio hardware.
There might be the need to develop a driver from scratch in order for Lakka to properly make use of the Switch's internal speaker hardware, and perhaps the same can be said about the battery.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sees someone asking about N64 emulation*

Patience, my friend...

*sees that they're asking about GC emulation*

That'd be nice, but the N64 isn't even at full speed, let alone the Dreamcast. I mean, the Switch is only a year old. The progress in a year's been impressive, but the best stuff is yet to come!

*asks about PS2 emulation*

Sonikkua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo 64 will happen, the system is more than good enough to handle it.

GameCube is really pushing it. If you stick to native res it's possible for some games to be playable, but I'd think most would have performance issues.

PlayStation 2? That is *not* happening.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DamonPS2 Pro runs on ARM, so when Android gets ported (and it probably will) we should be able to play PS2 games on Switch.
You could use PCSX2 on Switch Linux right now but without dynarec on ARM it would probably be too slow. Maybe DamonPS2 Pro in Anbox or something like that?

As for the GameCube/Wii, Zelda TP and Super Mario Galaxy run on the Nvidia Shield using a proprietery emulator so it's likely possible to port it and inject GCN games.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/working-tegra-x1-gc-wii-emulator-hacking-progress.503598/
Of course it's probably easier to run Dolphin underclocked.

Last edited by nastys,
Reactions: PiracyForTheMasses

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao at all the clueless noobs. Ps2 emulation isnt possible, yet I can play ps2 games on an android smart phone that has less power than the switch. Ps2 emulation is possible, just a matter of developers putting in the time and effort.

Reactions: nastys

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can play ps2 games on an android smart phone that has less power than the switch.

But are you sure about that?

Switch's CPU is not exactly the fastest by current standards.

My phone, for example, is much faster than the Switch (at least in CPU power).

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
lmao at all the clueless noobs. Ps2 emulation isnt possible, yet I can play ps2 games on an android smart phone that has less power than the switch. Ps2 emulation is possible, just a matter of developers putting in the time and effort.

I wouldn't be so patronising if you don't know what you're talking about. DamonPS2 for Android was an unofficial port of PCSX2 that ran some games well, but nothing complex - even under the best settings God of War was running at half speed - and remember the Switch is not a great chip. It's an underclocked X1 with a 768MHz GPU (half of that in portable, 384MHz) and a 1GHz quad core CPU with one of those cores disabled in portable. That's really very little to get a good emulator for a complex 300MHz MIPS system working, especially since emulators like good single core performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It was white when you bought it +1