Hacking Emulation Ripping ROMs out of Nintendo Switch Online Service Emulators?

YoSteggas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody else found a way to get the ROMs inside of the NSO Service Emulators dumped out of the app so you can use them elsewhere? I've managed to get the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and Gameboy ROMs in the Version 1.0.0 collection taken out of the app and they work in other apps like Retroarch, but I haven't found a way to get ROMs that are in included in Patches, and I haven't found a way to get N64 or GBA ROMs to work. Along with that, I'm not sure how to find any ROMs from Updates to the apps since it's formatted in .NSO and i'm not sure how to work with those.

I'm using NxFileViewer to do what I've done but if anybody has any suggestions that'll help me get the Update ROMs and N64/GBA ROMs out of the app, I'd be really grateful!

YoSteggas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look up CaVE database manager.
I looked at it a good bit before I posted for help, and I launched it and looked at guides for it at your suggestion, but I don't see a way for me to get the ROMs from my Nintendo Switch, and I don't see it advertised as a feature anywhere on their pages, but if you have any further advice on how I could make it work, I'm all ears.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I want these ROMs out of the NSO Emulation apps so I can play them on my Steam Deck and other systems without having to emulate the NSO Emulation apps directly, as that leads to worse performance, battery life and graphical issues.

Last edited by YoSteggas,

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at it a good bit before I posted for help, and I launched it and looked at guides for it at your suggestion, but I don't see a way for me to get the ROMs from my Nintendo Switch, and I don't see it advertised as a feature anywhere on their pages, but if you have any further advice on how I could make it work, I'm all ears.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I want these ROMs out of the NSO Emulation apps so I can play them on my Steam Deck and other systems without having to emulate the NSO Emulation apps directly, as that leads to worse performance, battery life and graphical issues.
Why not just use stand-alone emulators, or Retroarch, on the steam deck? Then find the Roms on any of the Warez sites.

YoSteggas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just use stand-alone emulators, or Retroarch, on the steam deck? Then find the Roms on any of the Warez sites.
I'd just like to not illegally download anything, just being picky. I just figured that if I have my v1 Switch with the NSO apps on it there must be a way to get all of them out of the NSO apps. I did get a portion of them after all

• Haha
Reactions: ASCiiDiTY

Laguna78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The patches you are trying to get are nso format that are specific to Nintendo Switch Online Service and there is no way to get them to work with other emulators as these patches aren't rom patches specifically and is a patch both the rom and Nintendo Switch Online Service. If you want to get the patched versions emulated then emulate NSO on switch emulators

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more of a legal gray area at the moment, right?

Technically all you have is a license to play those games for as long as you have an active subscription with Nintendo. When your subscription ends so does your license to play. That's not the same as buying a physical copy of those games and owning it like it was decades ago.

Reactions: BigOnYa

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anybody else found a way to get the ROMs inside of the NSO Service Emulators dumped out of the app so you can use them elsewhere? I've managed to get the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and Gameboy ROMs in the Version 1.0.0 collection taken out of the app and they work in other apps like Retroarch, but I haven't found a way to get ROMs that are in included in Patches, and I haven't found a way to get N64 or GBA ROMs to work. Along with that, I'm not sure how to find any ROMs from Updates to the apps since it's formatted in .NSO and i'm not sure how to work with those.

I'm using NxFileViewer to do what I've done but if anybody has any suggestions that'll help me get the Update ROMs and N64/GBA ROMs out of the app, I'd be really grateful!
For GBA Roms out of the app try using DBI. This probably works for others as well. Go to browse installed applications -> GBA NSO -> Either choose base game or update (Depends if you want roms in original release or update/patch) -> romfs -> titles choose a game from in there and you'll find it's .gba and then press Start and either copy it elsewhere or extract to LFS (Second one is so you can find it in atmosphere/contents/TitleIDofGame)

YoSteggas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For GBA Roms out of the app try using DBI. This probably works for others as well. Go to browse installed applications -> GBA NSO -> Either choose base game or update (Depends if you want roms in original release or update/patch) -> romfs -> titles choose a game from in there and you'll find it's .gba and then press Start and either copy it elsewhere or extract to LFS (Second one is so you can find it in atmosphere/contents/TitleIDofGame)
I tried this with every Emulator file and I did make some progress with NES, SNES, Genesis, and GB games, I have all the games included in content updates extracted now! I just think there's a hard roadblock when it comes to getting the N64 and GBA ROMs running on Retroarch, none of them boot so it must be something Nintendo has done to the ROM to make them work with the NSO Emulators that make them unable to work outside of it. Also Kirby Tilt N' Tumble on the Gameboy has the same issue so I figure they did something special to make rumble work that makes it not work outside of NSO Emulation.

Thank you for your time though! Got a lot more than I expected out of it.

Reactions: ChanseyIsTheBest

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
N64 ones can be unpacked with CaVE Database Manager.

When CaVE Database Manager is in N64 mode, there is an option to unpack .dtz and .binz files.

The game will be in binz files, when unpacked, it will turn into a .bin file that should be able to run on an emulator.

About GBA, I haven't seen anyone making the .gba extracted files work outside of NSO. I might update if I find more information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto