Homebrew Question How is Nintendo 64, Gamecube and PS2 emulation coming along?

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some people thought this was impossible, yet here's Dolphin running Tomb Raider Legend PAL at a stable 25 FPS (full speed), with sound and everything, on Switchroot Android, albeit with overclocking and a few hacks.
IMG_20190806_174752_551.png

https://github.com/weihuoya/dolphin/releases
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-nvidia-shield-tv-–-playable-game-list-with-settings

Last edited by nastys,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Some people thought this was impossible, yet here's Dolphin running Tomb Raider Legend PAL at a stable 25 FPS (full speed), with sound and everything, on Switchroot Android, albeit with overclocking and a few hacks.
View attachment 175599
https://github.com/weihuoya/dolphin/releases
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-nvidia-shield-tv-–-playable-game-list-with-settings

Do you have to go above 1750 OC? I have gone up to 1750 OC without issues, but going to 2000 sounds unsustainable and potentially dangerous, I could be wrong, probably am but I wouldn't take the chance until more evidence is out to support it being safe.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you have to go above 1750 OC? I have gone up to 1750 OC without issues, but going to 2000 sounds unsustainable and potentially dangerous, I could be wrong, probably am but I wouldn't take the chance until more evidence is out to support it being safe.
I set it to the highest, I'm not sure how much it is to be honest, but I'm pretty comfortable with it, especially since I've changed the original thermal paste with some MX-4. I think it actually overheated once (way before I installed Dolphin anyway), but it turned itself off to prevent any damage, so...
I believe the Tegra chip was designed to run at these speeds to begin with, so I'm pretty sure this is safe (apart from the battery having to deliver more power).
Overclock at your own risk, though.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The Tegra may be designed for those speeds, but the Switch is not. The Switch had issues when Fortnite first launched where the system overheated and had to shut down - at stock Switch speeds.

Raising the clocks by a multiple of 1.75x or 1.8x (X1 is normally 1.8GHz at max) given that fact isn't just unsustainable, it's straight up reckless. It's nice to see that the Switch, when pushed to its limit, is indeed capable of playing some GameCube and Wii games - but when people said it was impossible, they were pretty much right. At the Switch's intended speeds, it's not possible to make the game run at those speeds. Push it this far and your system will shut down.

I know I sound like a downer but I want to pick up a Switch sometime as well, so this is in my interests too - but people are going to parade this as playable Wii/GC emulation and it's outright not feasible.

Last edited by TheMrIron2,

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Tegra may be designed for those speeds, but the Switch is not. The Switch had issues when Fortnite first launched where the system overheated and had to shut down - at stock Switch speeds.

Raising the clocks by a multiple of 1.75x or 1.8x (X1 is normally 1.8GHz at max) given that fact isn't just unsustainable, it's straight up reckless. It's nice to see that the Switch, when pushed to its limit, is indeed capable of playing some GameCube and Wii games - but when people said it was impossible, they were pretty much right. At the Switch's intended speeds, it's not possible to make the game run at those speeds. Push it this far and your system will shut down.

I know I sound like a downer but I want to pick up a Switch sometime as well, so this is in my interests too - but people are going to parade this as playable Wii/GC emulation and it's outright not feasible.
If you're willing to take apart your Switch and upgrade the way it thermally displaces heat then it should be okay to run overclocked for hours, just have a way of keeping an eye on temps and you should be good. If you're not wanting to put that kind of time and effort in, then it's something that you should stay away from

Reactions: atoxique

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If you're willing to take apart your Switch and upgrade the way it thermally displaces heat then it should be okay to run overclocked for hours, just have a way of keeping an eye on temps and you should be good. If you're not wanting to put that kind of time and effort in, then it's something that you should stay away from
More or less. With cooling and thermal upgrades I could see this potentially working in a much more stable state, but for stock systems it is a much riskier game than some people are saying.

RobCat030

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More or less. With cooling and thermal upgrades I could see this potentially working in a much more stable state, but for stock systems it is a much riskier game than some people are saying.

Is it really risky though? In Horizon you'd experience the same shut down if things got too hot (which they haven't for me at least). I don't imagine people would continually do that to their system if it were happening. Maybe it's risky for battery longevity or if you're using Lakka (not sure if thats built in)?

Sorry, to clarify: I don't see evidence that CPU OC definitely means guaranteed higher temps and damage to components. If you're getting higher temps and the OS doesn't have a safety shutdown then sure. But plenty of people have reported their Switch running cooler with OC than while running BOTW, myself included.

Last edited by RobCat030,

Dasfilth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm going to have to disagree with you, at least partially. It's absolutely feasible, given what sacrifices you're willing to make. Between the various emulation options we have at our disposal and real world tests playing in max OC'd conditions when needed, I've yet to have a single overheat leading to system malfunction. HOWEVER, I do understand the possibility that I MAY be stressing my hardware enough to shorten it's lifespan significantly. That is a fact we can't ignore, given what we know about the hardware itself. Until we start seeing multiple consoles failing from the excessive stress, I really don't thin there's any cause for alarm. If my shit breaks, I'll fix it. For those that can't, I'd recommend being a lot more careful than I am.

One final point. A lot of these software implementations are relatively new to the Switch. As time goes on, there's a very real possibility for improvements to the software itself on the backend to reduce the need to overclock at all, so given time, higher emulation may very well be possible to execute safely on the Switch's native hardware.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I set it to the highest, I'm not sure how much it is to be honest, but I'm pretty comfortable with it, especially since I've changed the original thermal paste with some MX-4. I think it actually overheated once (way before I installed Dolphin anyway), but it turned itself off to prevent any damage, so...
I believe the Tegra chip was designed to run at these speeds to begin with, so I'm pretty sure this is safe (apart from the battery having to deliver more power).
Overclock at your own risk, though.

Whats your guys setup for the replacement?
I know that the switch comes plastered with some cheap paste all over the place.
Did you also plaster the new heat paste like that or did you just use a little?
Removed the copper shim or keep it?
Add additional pads and stuff?

I'm still waiting for warranty to run out on mine before going in there, but Im always interested in how people go about this.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Whats your guys setup for the replacement?
I know that the switch comes plastered with some cheap paste all over the place.
Did you also plaster the new heat paste like that or did you just use a little?
Removed the copper shim or keep it?
Add additional pads and stuff?

I'm still waiting for warranty to run out on mine before going in there, but Im always interested in how people go about this.

Look at things this way, the things that require 1700 cpu which 85% of gc games can run full speed off, dont require the gpu at dock 768 anyway. I have used lakka multiple times with max performance cpu for hours, the switch barely gets warm. Worst possible scenario you replace your switch battery slightly earlier. I really dont see better cooling as necessary unless your playing 12 hours in a row. My iphone gets warmer watching youtube. The switch is deliberately underclocked in its cpu to allow better portable battery life. Aslong as your air vents are getting airflow, i personally see it as unnecessary.

Reactions: TylerSGman

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Is it really risky though? In Horizon you'd experience the same shut down if things got too hot (which they haven't for me at least). I don't imagine people would continually do that to their system if it were happening. Maybe it's risky for battery longevity or if you're using Lakka (not sure if thats built in)?

Sorry, to clarify: I don't see evidence that CPU OC definitely means guaranteed higher temps and damage to components. If you're getting higher temps and the OS doesn't have a safety shutdown then sure. But plenty of people have reported their Switch running cooler with OC than while running BOTW, myself included.
I'm going to have to disagree with you, at least partially. It's absolutely feasible, given what sacrifices you're willing to make. Between the various emulation options we have at our disposal and real world tests playing in max OC'd conditions when needed, I've yet to have a single overheat leading to system malfunction. HOWEVER, I do understand the possibility that I MAY be stressing my hardware enough to shorten it's lifespan significantly. That is a fact we can't ignore, given what we know about the hardware itself. Until we start seeing multiple consoles failing from the excessive stress, I really don't thin there's any cause for alarm. If my shit breaks, I'll fix it. For those that can't, I'd recommend being a lot more careful than I am.
I don't have much first-hand experience or evidence but it's a general rule of thumb that the more you push a system, the hotter it will get. However, I'll be fair here -- if the Switch's X1 is really a stock chip that's forcibly underclocked (as BOTW suggests - it boosts up to 1.8GHz when loading in brief bursts) then it's not going to push it significantly harder than it already is. I'll also concede that as software solutions improve, the need for overclocking will lessen - that much is for sure! However to get games playing at Switch stock speeds you'd need to really get dirty and probably write some machine code. I won't rule out the emulator becoming more optimised as a whole, though, because that's almost inevitable.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

megahog2012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what u mean by install twilight princess, but if you own your roms just download them for gc, you can play tp on android dolphin, and has been available on lakka and ubuntu for ages.

Nintendo has a version of some of their Wii/Gamecube games released on the Nvidia Shield in china. The Games run under Nintendo's official Wii/Gamecube emulator. The Nvidia shield is basically an official android console, and android games often come in the form of APKs right? So all you gotta do is extract the game Via APK Maid or something that makes APK files from the chinese console and Install into the Android on switch, and play the games.... if you know chinese lol

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has a version of some of their Wii/Gamecube games released on the Nvidia Shield in china. The Games run under Nintendo's official Wii/Gamecube emulator. The Nvidia shield is basically an official android console, and android games often come in the form of APKs right? So all you gotta do is extract the game Via APK Maid or something that makes APK files from the chinese console and Install into the Android on switch, and play the games.... if you know chinese lol

Oh, these versions of games don't have multiple language options!?

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you don't want to overclock that much, you can reduce the emulated CPU clock (at the cost of compatibility).

As for me, I have already changed the thermal paste with some MX-4 anyway, so I'm fine at max. overclock and I can play my GCN/Wii games just fine.

Last edited by nastys,

RobCat030

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulated clock speed works by lowering the internal framerate (I think). Definitely not good for fast response games like Melee. But it can help with audio stutter and smoothness if you don't want to stretch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Noon here too, so says the green name