Homebrew Question How is Nintendo 64, Gamecube and PS2 emulation coming along?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pointing out flaws isn't complaining, especially when they are legitimate issues to be aware of before investing time into a project.

That being said, emulation on the Switch is still in the very early stages
though it is progressing quite fast with what systems are emulatable atm

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
though it is progressing quite fast with what systems are emulatable atm
I've noticed that actually and I think it helps that the Switch is an ARM-Based system with a rather decently powerful ARM chipset. So there are issues that need to be worked on, but having a chipset that already has so much software working on it helps a lot.

Reactions: Ty_

baretbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I searched and didn't find anything...

But are there any n64, GC or PS2 emulators on Switch yet? And for the snes emulator, does it still work if docked?
I'd suspect that PS1 is more likely with Retroarch, Homebrew is still fresh and I believe we will need to wait for a full CFW like Atmosphere for developers to get the ball rolling officially.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right Malcolm , because of those kind of Morons people stop working on Projects
You really did insult me, just because I pointed out that it's not a good idea to recomend a normal user to use a not ended software? Look, you can love it as much as you want, but the problems are there and they need to be told explicity.

D

Deleted User

You really did insult me, just because I pointed out that it's not a good idea to recomend a normal user to use a not ended software? Look, you can love it as much as you want, but the problems are there and they need to be told explicity.

We all know about the issues and its told many times and its not fixable yet

SkyAeolus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I find it really shocking you were trying to warn the OP about an issue and everyone jumps up your tail about it.
The problem is it could really damage the switch's LCD from what I've heard. It's very experimental and isn't recommended YET.
The best course of action is to either test it, (and run the risk of damage to your switch) or wait.
Sure OP could read for themselves, but I seem to notice half the people around here actually research and the other half just post odd questions that 5 minutes of research could've taught them. But that's none of my business.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But it is nevertheless worth reading and understanding the risks.
This point right here needs to be stressed the most, there are risks involved with hacking and it's always worth understanding them. @Bebel did the right thing and took time to consider warning the OP about issues and risks. That is something that always needs to be stressed, especially this early in the game.

Last edited by The Catboy,

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't hold my breath on PS2 ever working well. Unless there is some massive breakthrough with optimisation the switch isn't even close to powerful enough.

naamloosNL

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
naamloos.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lakka is currently your best bet for 3D emulators. It has N64, PSX and PSP. They all run fine, albeit sometimes too fast.

About Gamecube, Dolphin runs on Arch Linux. For a Lakka port, see this bounty : removed link because I'm a Newbie for 2 years

are you kidding me? "too fast"? that's insane

RetroNostalgia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@alexg1989 NGC and PS2 doesn't work with Lakka yet.
As the others said, Lakka is your best alternative right now.
You can play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, PS1, PSP, Sega Megadrive and Sega Saturn. It also supports Videos and Music (without fixed Kernel for Audio, these two are more or less useless) as well as Images (Image viewer).

Wonder how well the Sega Saturn runs. What I would give to have Guardian heroes or Panzer Dragoon Saga running smoothly on the Switch!

Malcolm-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
This is not the point at all. I did not say it's a bad work or something, I said it's not for the end user. Let people see it if they want, but don't talk about it as if it were an option for them.
OP's title was "how is [....] emulation coming along". People then responded by correctly pointing out that Lakka at this moment is the most complete emulator package. Nowhere did OP ask for helping/advice setting up an emulator for himself and at no point did anyone mislead him into setting up an emulator.

2nd, the issues you stated are with Linux. Not Lakka. You misrepresented the work of a certain programmer/porter as being the direct cause of certain issues when they aren't.

Pointing out flaws isn't complaining, especially when they are legitimate issues to be aware of before investing time into a project.

That being said, emulation on the Switch is still in the very early stages

He didn't point out flaws. He rebuked people for posting about the emulator. If he'd have simply said "Lakka needs to be launched through Linux which has x,y and z issues..." then that would be fine. But he didn't. He tried to be a hero and correct people for doing something they actually didn't do.

Last edited by Malcolm-X,

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP's title was "how is [....] emulation coming along". People then responded by correctly pointing out that Lakka at this moment is the most complete emulator package. Nowhere did OP ask for helping/advice setting up an emulator for himself and at no point did anyone mislead him into setting up an emulator.

2nd, the issues you stated are with Linux. Not Lakka. You misrepresented the work of a certain programmer/porter as being the direct cause of certain issues when they aren't.

He didn't point out flaws. He rebuked people for posting about the emulator. If he'd have simply said "Lakka needs to be launched through Linux which has x,y and zissues..." then that would be fine. But he didn't. He tried to be a hero and correct people for doing something they actually didn't do.
Again: you did not got my point at all. If you want to flame someone go to other comunity. I (and all people here) don't need to read this just because you missunderstood.

Edit: also, the end of this. I'm not going to loose more time with people that cannot read a simple post.

Last edited by Bedel,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

It's entirely feasible that the OP may have decided to have a go with any of the emulators mentioned in any reply to his post and it is therefore totally correct that he would be warned of the dangers of doing so. Anybody who saw this warning as an attack on the software itself or the developer seriously needs their head looking at.

Reactions: Ty_

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

He didn't point out flaws. He rebuked people for posting about the emulator. If he'd have simply said "Lakka needs to be launched through Linux which has x,y and z issues..." then that would be fine. But he didn't. He tried to be a hero and correct people for doing something they actually didn't do.
Expect their post was relevant to the topic. Being that the setup is used for emulation, it is thus part of the current state of emulation on the Switch. Pointing out flaws is relevant and suggesting people not use something that has possible risks is also relevant.

Reactions: AdamFX990

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • NinStar
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, which one of your brothers?