Status
Not open for further replies.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter if he made it or not, it's basically Devil May Cry.

Also it's not like he was involved with the good Devil May Cry. DMC3 beats the shit out of the rest. He only did the first one, which is kinda average nowadays.
If it's your own creation, it's not the same at all.

Odds are it plays more like Devil May Cry 3 than the first game. Even then, my point is that he's calling it a "rip off' when he did basically the same idea. Doesn't matter if it's his game or not.

Either way, why are you so intent on being such a sourpuss and actively going out of your way to bitch about Sony? I make a few dick comments poking fun at Nintendo now and then but I don't make fucking threads actively trying to piss everywhere.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also it's not like he was involved with the good Devil May Cry. DMC3 beats the shit out of the rest. He only did the first one, which is kinda average nowadays.
If it's your own creation, it's not the same at all.

Self plagiarism if you want to push it.

/Guess who won't wrote a dissertation a few months ago?

Reactions: 3 people

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys can argue this all day. You'll never reach a conclusion.

What I want to know is when did Game Devs begin thinking that they're badasses?

Reactions: 4 people

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
rip-off(r
ibreve.gif
p
prime.gif
ôf
lprime.gif
, -
obreve.gif
f
lprime.gif
)

n. Slang
1. A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.​
2. Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.​
3. A theft.​

4. An act of exploitation.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Odds are it plays more like Devil May Cry 3 than the first game. Even then, my point is that he's calling it a "rip off' when he did basically the same idea. Doesn't matter if it's his game or not.

Either way, why are you so intent on being such a sourpuss and actively going out of your way to bitch about Sony? I make a few dick comments poking fun at Nintendo now and then but I don't make fucking threads actively trying to piss everywhere.
Bayonetta is inspired based off his own ideas. There's a big difference.

Guild, stop getting your panties in a bunch. A thread on Kamiya's comments isn't pissing on Sony. :rolleyes:

jbjSNEIQQQOXDm.png

...and he worked on both games? What exactly is he saying here?

not that I really care...

at all...
That's someone else's tweet (hence RT).

He responded with "Use your brain".

mad_gamer_jad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate to be "That guy" who repeats the popular opinion, but I agree that it's not really much of a problem to take inspiration from smash bros. I mean, I remember many people being happy about Jump ultimate stars and that cartoon network game because thy bought smash bros to handhelds, or mixed up manga/cartoon characters, so why is it so bad if sony want to satisfy their fans? It's not like the game is a direct copy of Smash, it just uses a similar art style and lay out. Honestly, I'm glad sony decided to take their inspiration from smash for a crossover fighter, instead of opting for a more serious approach.
I'm pretty sure the game won't be as good as Smash bros, Sakurai puts everything into making those games and they undergo a long development cycle leading to pretty lengthy games with a ton of things to do, but PS All Stars sounds pretty fun too and should tide many over till the next smash bros is done in 2086. It also gets bonus points for being the first portable 3D party brawler that actually has potential(PS vita version)
Also >Kamiya
I fucking love how blunt he is

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's the thing. Bayonetta is kinda a Devil May Cry rip off. Not that that's bad, but literally every reviewer showered it with praise for being Devil May Cry

The same thing is with Bayonetta. It's definitely inspired by DMC and everyone says it's almost a DMC in its own right. But since we've got a Sony brand name on this, it's instantly a shameless rip off made by scumbags who should burn in the deepest depths of hell.
How the hell do you rip off your own game?

jbjSNEIQQQOXDm.png

Personally I actually think it does matter... Even if Capcom owns the IP everyone who is working on DMC after the first one builds upon what he and his buddies came up with in the first game. So if he choose to built upon his own creation in an own game and has to use a new IP it is totally legitimate to do so imo. I think it is preposterous to say that!

I don`t think it is bad that PSBR is a rip-off because it is not like Sony is hiding it or something. I thought if they do something like Smash Sony would have gone the Power Stone-way, because they force strange ideas onto the SSB-formula to differentiate BR from it but that might not work in its favor... A fighting game like Power Stone would have givin them the chance to do something completely different then what Nintendo does with SSB!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there obvious inspiration from the Smash Bros. series? Of course, no one is trying to deny that. Is that necessarily bad? Of course not; if the developers can bring enough new stuff to the table and build upon what's come before it, everyone wins.

Throwing a hissy fit like this over an unreleased game on Twitter is a pretty immature move for a veteran developer... or anyone past the age of 13.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted_171835

OP
Is there obvious inspiration from the Smash Bros. series? Of course, no one is trying to deny that. Is that necessarily bad? Of course not; if the developers can bring enough new stuff to the table and build upon what's come before it, everyone wins.

Throwing a hissy fit like this over an unreleased game on Twitter is a pretty immature move for a veteran developer... or anyone past the age of 13.
Giving his opinion on the game is certainly not "throwing a hissy fit".

I don't disagree with Kamiya, the game is a ripoff. There's not much integrity when your game derives the vast majority of its ideas from Smash Bros.

Reactions: 2 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Giving his opinion on the game is certainly not "throwing a hissy fit".

I don't disagree with Kamiya, the game is a ripoff. There's not much integrity when your game derives the vast majority of its ideas from Smash Bros.

His posts read like a pouty, indignant child than a mature, reasoned developer. Also, declaring he already doesn't like a game that (a) isn't finished and (b) he hasn't played doesn't give one the best impression.

And "vast majority" of concepts? Both are crossover fighters that feature up to 4 players. However, the actual mechanics (the heart of a fighting game) seem pretty different between both games. We don't even know everything about PASBR (what modes will there be? how is single player handled? etc.) anyway; it's a bit premature to write it off.

Reactions: 5 people

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Marvel vs Capcom and King of Fighters. Look at those games, then look at SSB. Those (MvC and KoF) are normal fighting games with health bars, much like Street Fighter, with a bunch of different characters from different places (Mash-up if you will). SSB is more of a party based, ring-out fighting game (or brawler). Going to a shallow point, LOOK at the games! SSB has the 3D models and scenes in a 2D plane, childish cuteness all over the place, stages based on games with a certain feel to them (oh, and one character that is 2 dimensional Mr Game and Watch). KoF and MvC are spritebased, is 2D all the way through, has a more raw feel to the stages (set to correspond with the characters).
Yeah, enough about KoF and MvC versus SSB.
Now look at SSB and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. Going the shallow route once again, and hey, looks are the first impressions: 3D models and scenes in a 2D plane, the same cuteness (in lack of a better word of phrase to describe it) mixed with character models looking more like their original characters (nathan drake), but still fitted to match the rest of the graphics in some cases (fat princess for example). Also, there's one 2D character: Parappa. Themed stages (like it should be) that has the same feel to them as the ones in SSB, with the exeption that they mix two games for each stage (I like that idea a lot!). However, the looks of the stages and the feel of the stages graphically is the same as SSB.
For this point, I want you to see these two images, one from SSB Melee, and the other one from PSASBR:
stages_onett.jpg
playstation_all_stars_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Yes there are clear differences and all, but the feel of it all, the "cuteness" that I can't describe better...

Another point is the "final smash" attack? Was it called that? I'm not that good with names. When you've filled your gauge, you get this super power killing everything in a wink of an eye. Very much like the "smash"-orb thingy in SSB Brawl, not how you get it but how it works when you use it. Also, visually it has many similarities.

Like many have pointed out before me, many of the moves (again, visually at least) looks very similar to SSB, fall saves and whatever it's called. I must say though, that there's only so many moves to choose from, and I won't blame them for it.

Bottom line of this though: There are MANY similarities, much more similar than KoF and MvC are to SSB. Technical and visual similarities.
I DON'T BLAME THEM! This is a party brawler fighter thingy. mashing up awesome looking 3D models, so you have to make some changes and make them fit together. Just like SSB does, and I think it's fine!
I want this game! I think it looks AWESOME! The not-health-bar in PSASBR works differently than the not-health-bar in SSB, for better or for worse, I'll have to play it to decide. Hopefully that can be changed, just like in SSB (different modes).

Is it a rip-off? well.. kinda, a little bit in my eyes. They've said it themselves that they've "inspired" by SSB. Fair enough, they wouldn't say anything other than that. I accept it! Still looks awesome.
However, it's the "There are no similarities other than there are different characters from different IPs brawling"-comments that I don't accept. All those that scream at the top of their lungs that there are no similarities. Yes there are! Oh well, I'm getting tired.

Ultra TL;DR:
It IS an awesome rip-off (couldn't probably be done better at all). And I don't hate Sony for it (I'm looking forward to it!), I hate those who denies it.

Reactions: 2 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YEs, it's a rip-off, but consider this:
Everything we've seen has been done before. CoD, Battlefield, SSB, etc, Essentially everything's been done already. It's hard to create something new if so much of what you're trying to do has been done before.

Reactions: 1 person

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything we've seen has been done before. CoD, Battlefield, SSB, etc, Essentially everything's been done already. It's hard to create something new if so much of what you're trying to do has been done before.
Exactly this.
Who and what is 100% original these days?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, another parallel: is BlazBlue a rip off of Street Fighter?

Both are 2D fighters with the same perspective. Each has original casts of characters.

By the definition here, why isn't BlazBlue a ripoff? Because the fighting is different? Well it is here as well. But we consider BlazBlue a quality, original fighter and Street Fighter as the same.

Odds are the BlazBlue people were inspired by Street Fighter as well. I mean it was an originator, who wasn't?

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Exactly this.

Who and what is 100% original these days?
There's a difference between creating an original game that has some gameplay concepts derived from other genres and pretty much copying the vast majority of a game.

His posts read like a pouty, indignant child than a mature, reasoned developer. Also, declaring he already doesn't like a game that (a) isn't finished and (b) he hasn't played doesn't give one the best impression.

And "vast majority" of concepts? Both are crossover fighters that feature up to 4 players. However, the actual mechanics (the heart of a fighting game) seem pretty different between both games. We don't even know everything about PASBR (what modes will there be? how is single player handled? etc.) anyway; it's a bit premature to write it off.
Kamiya is a game developer who has made several stellar original games and values artistic integrity. The fact that he doesn't approve of Playstation All Stars (a game that essentially copies Smash Bros) is entirely understandable. Nothing he has tweeted reads like a "pouty child" like you claim.

Both games are 4 player brawlers. They both have similar art styles. All Stars has Supers in the same way that Smash Bros has the Final Smash. The entire feel of the game is like Smash Bros (with moves that knock characters off the stages platform and more). To deny that is daft.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kayima is a game developer who has made several stellar original IPs and values artistic integrity. The fact that he doesn't approve of Playstation All Stars (a game that essentially copies Smash Bros) is entirely understandable. Nothing he has tweeted reads like a "pouty child" like you claim.

Both games are 4 player brawlers. They both have similar art styles. All Stars has Supers in the same way that Smash Bros has the Final Smash. The entire feel of the game is like Smash Bros (with moves that knock characters off the stages platform and more). To deny that is daft.

It doesn't matter if you're the father of video games or the queen of England, his demeanor of posting was pouty. It wasn't just "I think PASBR looks not too good honestly", it was "IT'S A RIPOFF WAH".

Similar art styles? Are you not the one who cried about the games M-rated characters clashing with the art of the cuter, softer characters? Is that not different art in and of itself.

As for the rest, see my BlazBlue metaphor.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Okay, another parallel: is BlazBlue a rip off of Street Fighter?

Both are 2D fighters with the same perspective. Each has original casts of characters.

By the definition here, why isn't BlazBlue a ripoff? Because the fighting is different? Well it is here as well. But we consider BlazBlue a quality, original fighter and Street Fighter as the same.

Odds are the BlazBlue people were inspired by Street Fighter as well. I mean it was an originator, who wasn't?

Just a comment, the fighting is very similar in SSB and PSASBR, it's the not-health-bar that's different. (But still isn't a bad thing in my eyes).

And to the comparison between BlazBlue and Street Fighter, the style and theme is vastly different. But then also I'd like to put this into perspective. Both are very basic forms of fighting games, just as Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and Marvel vs Capcom are. Just like the old Mario games and the billions of old (2D) platformers are alike, why WW2 themed FPS games are alike... why rally games are alike, etc. etc. etc. Because they are very basic, and there isn't that much to do about them. There are many of those kinds of games from long ago, and it's just accepted nowadays that those games have become genre-defining. a 2D fighter IS a 2D fighter, like BlazBlue, Street Fighter, GuiltyGear, whatever.
How many (cutiefied, to use my own vague term) party brawlers can you name? I can name Powerstone, but it differs some from both SSB and PSASBR...
my view on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!