HBC release for WiiU

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO has anyone tried a bunch of apps to see what works and what doesn't? can you post your findings? emulators and stuff still work? I don't really want to install the homebrew channel on the Wii U since i'm afraid of it bricking with a Nintendo update. I also still use my wii for that stuff anyway lol. Just wanted to know

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no risk of Nintendo bricking Wii Us on purpose just because of HBC. As has been pointed out countless times in the 3ds section, it would be counter productive. The worst they'll do is delete and block it.

Since Wii mode is sandboxed, the worst you can personally do is not have a Wii mode anymore. But since you can't install anything besides HBC itself, that's unlikely.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It will, most icons do not show up and i could not even install bootmii as ios.
I reported all the bugs (except the PAL video one), and dhewg has said they will be fixed shortly. The first two were due to updated libraries, and the third (the bootmii issue) was caused by some real Wii's being identified as sandboxed Wii's.

Reactions: lukinoz

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
has anyone tried the ios236 v6 installer so it would allow us to install cios for backup launchers
It should be possible to launch backups from USB via HW_AHBPROT. That would require some work from the teams that work on the USB-Loaders, though.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It should be possible to launch backups from USB via HW_AHBPROT. That would require some work from the teams that work on the USB-Loaders, though.
Nope. The IOS patches used to allow USB loading are much more complex than anything done in memory using AHBPROT, and it would be very hard/impossible to do them in memory.

The current patches done in memory (e.g. disabling signature check etc.) just replace a few bytes with the same number of alternative bytes. cIOS patches generally involve changing or replacing entire modules of IOS, usually with modules of a different size. This would require huge amounts of in-memory patches, as well as moving parts of the IOS around in memory, which would be very hard without knowing what else is in memory and where. (You don't want to extend the length in memory of IOS and thus overwrite something important, causing the system to crash).

In short, it is unlikely that "backup" loaders will ever work with just AHBPROT.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just going to wait, till there's a way to play Wii U backups before I hack the Wii U, as for this HBC does it run in 1080p in vWii mode?

There's no risk of Nintendo bricking Wii Us on purpose just because of HBC. As has been pointed out countless times in the 3ds section, it would be counter productive.

Why is that? because they will be the one to fix the bricks?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's no risk of Nintendo bricking Wii Us on purpose just because of HBC. As has been pointed out countless times in the 3ds section, it would be counter productive.
Why is that? because they will be the one to fix the bricks?

That could be an aspect but in various countries such an act would be highly illegal, others it would probably still be strong enough to potentially see a lawsuit launched and it would probably be somewhat bad PR regardless (MS caught a fair bit of flack for their actions in various 360 banwaves where they kind of removed the ability to transfer saves in various regards).

That might work for a single region if you can be sure but I can't really think of a region where that would work- not a chance in Europe and although the USA might well think the U means something I need only direct you to the state of technology patents over there.

Re: AHBPROT
Practical is one thing but I was directed at the following a few days back

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13489
I did a bit of reading on AHBPROT and it seems I need to read more- things got more a bit more interesting once I stopped paying attention to the wii it seems.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can anyone explain properly what hardcoded IOSes mean? I don't really understand this. What does prevent one from creating a vcIOS?
What it means is that every vIOS is coded to give an error when you try to install any system title (IOS, System Menu). This sort of thing is installed from WiiU mode on the WiiU, so vIOS never needs to install these things for official reasons.

Basically, whenever you want to install any title on the Wii, you give it to IOS and call some certain functions of IOS, then IOS will check the signature etc. and install it. (Of course, the signature checking was bypassed in various ways on the Wii). In vIOS, those functions have some added code that will check if the title is a system title, and if so return an error (-1017 to be exact).

So if for some reason you wanted to install an IOS, you would have to bypass both the signature check and also the system title check. This has actually already been done publicly.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc