JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If we can get USB loading to work, great, the only thing that could be an issue is the nagging "format your HDD now" popup that shows when you load the Wii U.
What's this? Do you have to use a special format? I've been leaning towards "no backup loaders" because I thought I could install games with the Wii U (I know I need the original disc, that's fine) so I could get a speed boost. However, I'm not making a new partition just for the Wii U.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this? Do you have to use a special format? I've been leaning towards "no backup loaders" because I thought I could install games with the Wii U (I know I need the original disc, that's fine) so I could get a speed boost. However, I'm not making a new partition just for the Wii U.

Nope, Nintendo themselves wrote an email to me (in response to a same question you had about partitions) indicating that a partition cannot be made for one thing and another made for Wii U game installation; in other words, the entire HDD will be formatted to the Wii U's proprietary file system, probably similar to the Wii and it's WBFS format. So yeah, if you want to use the same HDD you use with the Wii, you're s**t outta luck. I'm quite annoyed at the whole formatting BS as well, so maybe someday, I'll get a cheap 256/320 GB HDD, but for now, ain't gonna happen. I hope Wii USB HDD support will happen someday, then I will no longer have to swap back and forth between consoles.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
now things are getting interesting
burnsexcellentstickera.jpg

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you wanted to use the install feature for WiiU games, you wouldn't really get a noticeable speed boost anyway. USB 2.0 transfer speeds are about as fast as the Bluray the WiiU uses. The only thing that might speed things up is installing games to the internal memory, but that has kinda limited space.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
http://gbatemp.net/threads/i-can-install-ios-in-vwii-but.338809/
You have to rip your own vIOS36 into a WAD in order for the installer to use it to install vcIOS236
BUT
although with 236 you can now install IOS and System Menu on a vWii, the old IOS's from a normal Wii don't work on it, only the vIOS from vWii so this also includes the cIOS meant for a normal Wii, they crash when trying to run in a vWii so a USB-Loader can't use them either.

What we need now is someone to adjust the patches like those in d2x to work with a vIOS base instead of an IOS base. When that happens we will be able to make v-cIOS that can be installed with this new IOS236 ... that will let us do our USB Loading in vWii.

(One step closer but not there yet.)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/i-can-install-ios-in-vwii-but.338809/
You have to rip your own vIOS36 into a WAD in order for the installer to use it to install vcIOS236
BUT
although with 236 you can now install IOS and System Menu on a vWii, the old IOS's from a normal Wii don't work on it, only the vIOS from vWii so this also includes the cIOS meant for a normal Wii, they crash when trying to run in a vWii so a USB-Loader can't use them either.

What we need now is someone to adjust the patches like those in d2x to work with a vIOS base instead of an IOS base. When that happens we will be able to make v-cIOS that can be installed with this new IOS236 ... that will let us do our USB Loading in vWii.

(One step closer but not there yet.)

Too much effort. I'll wait until it can be done without having it be a PITA. Probably would brick the Wii U anyway.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't understand why people care about this, don't we all have wii's? Hacking a Wiiu's Wii mode to load wii games or even to use the emulators is kinda pointless because you know i have my wii. Wiiu game loading is different but that's not what this is about. I guess maybe its just me i wouldn't hack and risk my new WiiU to do everything i can on my Wii.

Reactions: air2004

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people care about this, don't we all have wii's? Hacking a Wiiu's Wii mode to load wii games or even to use the emulators is kinda pointless because you know i have my wii. Wiiu game loading is different but that's not what this is about. I guess maybe its just me i wouldn't hack and risk my new WiiU to do everything i can on my Wii.

I know, I'm on the fence about that too, but in my current situation (having a limited no. of inputs on my TV) it would be nice to have everything, old/new generation on a new console along with the emulators. I refuse to spend $30 on an A/V splitting device to swap between the two consoles. The fact the the Wii U doesn't have multi out doesn't help my situation.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you wanted to use the install feature for WiiU games, you wouldn't really get a noticeable speed boost anyway. USB 2.0 transfer speeds are about as fast as the Bluray the WiiU uses. The only thing that might speed things up is installing games to the internal memory, but that has kinda limited space.
WiiU isn't using the Blu-Ray format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy