Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what all do we know about the sd processes of the wiiu? I've read many a warning that you should only insert your sd after vwii loads up or it'll attack your homebrew. I however accidently left it in (while performing an update, no less) and everything still functions fine. Has anyone thorughly tested this out? Also, how are the usb ports set up? There are 4 and it doesn't seem to matter what port my hdd is plugged into, wiiflow detects it fine. Just a curiosity.

It only affects exploitable save files, but one you install the Homebrew Channel, the other apps, ROMs, etc are unaffected.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go into wiimc from hbc and try to play a dvd it says it doesn't have access to the drive. But if you enter from wiiflow it says invalid dvd. If dvdx were installed would that make any difference?

pcmantinker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to actually Emulate anything, as the CPUs are similar enough, with the same basic instructionsets, that Gamecube and Wii Games run "on the metal" as it were, without emulation in the strict sense. it will most likely be the original code run under a "wrapper" that just translates things like the controller inputs and video modes to that of the WiiU.

once WiiU mode is hacked and we start seeing some GC and even Wii games on the eshop, we'll probably be able to take a close look inside the wrapper, and see if we can't do some nasty things to it like Gamepad support or increasing the resolution.

EDIT: mind you, take what I say here with a few thousand granules of crystalline sodium chloride, as we know absolutely NOTHING about how it all really works.
That's entirely possible. If the architecture is similar enough, it could be possible to run native GC code without emulation. According to Wii U Brew (http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Wii_U/console), the Wii U's CPU is a tri-core PowerPC CPU with one thread per core. Each core runs at 1243.125MHz, just under twice as fast as the Wii's CPU which runs at 729 MHz (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Hardware). GC also has a PowerPC processor which should make it easier to potentially run GC code on the Wii U.

Like you said though, not much is known about how the entire system works together yet so this is all speculation. Time will tell and I'm looking forward to seeing the maturation of Wii U homebrew.

If you go into wiimc from hbc and try to play a dvd it says it doesn't have access to the drive. But if you enter from wiiflow it says invalid dvd. If dvdx were installed would that make any difference?
DVD reading was removed from the DVD drive firmware with later Wiis and subsequently the Wii U. Therefore, DVDx can't be installed on the Wii U or later Wiis. Nintendo considered allowing Wiis to play commercial DVDs at one point, but the licensing fees cost too much to sell the Wii at a low price for consumers.

pcmantinker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
is there a WIP for the wii U kernel or there's nothing found yet? useful thread though
Evidence of a potential Wii U mode exploit is shown on fail0verflow's Twitter. There is no confirmed hack or release date though. I'm sure that fail0verflow is working on getting something eventually to the general public. Also, understand that the Wii U is barely over a month old. Exploits/hacks take time to discover and hackers don't want to release a hack too early in a console's lifespan otherwise the exploits can be patched with firmware updates, potentially leaving a console unhackable by the end of its lifespan.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok yup i read about the exploit posted on fail0verflow twitter... when reading this thread and seeing the same pic posted on fail0verflow twitter, i thought the failOverflow exploit was for wii mode

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DVDX has been long deprecated for years now since AHBPROT replaced it.
also, DVDX and AHBPROT's dvd reading support both relied on the unused DVD commands Nintendo left on firmware of the older Wii Drives from when they planned to add dvd playback support. the DVD commands were removed in later drives and obviously, the Wii U drive also.
Installing DVDX would be a bad idea as we do not know how WiiMode will react to It. If DVDX was installed, the vWii System Menu would delete it as System Menu 4.3 checks and removes DVDX. even the Wii version of 4.3 does that.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Wow it would be awesome if dolphin could be emulated on here. Keep up the work guys. Awesome.
Devolution can already run GameCube games (and it's pretty much running them natively, not emulating.) The creator of Devolution, tueidj, is just working on the ability to use a Wiimote or Classic Controller to play it with, though, but he's already published a video of it working and at least loading up to a tittle screen that shows 3D rendered content. For now at least there's some limited controls available through a USB keyboard and mouse.
Loading of Wii U games is not possible yet and may not be for a while. Wii U mode hasn't been fully hacked yet and nobody has publicly dumped any Wii U games to disk.
Actually, they have dumped them. (Just not sure how they did it.) You can download the dumps and they're from traditionally reliable sources ... of course there's no way to PLAY the image to be sure it was actually dumped correctly.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are dumps?
I saw a VIMTO nfo, but not sure if it was legit (only in a pastebin, no other nfo website posting it?)

I'm curious how they did it, how is the data placed on the disc? There's no technical information on wiiubrew concerning the discs format.
Maybe it wasn't done from the disc?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
hmm, good point,
I didn't actually TRY to download it (seemed like it would be a big file and a lot of wasted bandwidth to me for something that nothing could actually make use of yet.) and I just kinda naively trusted what the download CLAIMED it's source was.

MIGHT be true if someone found a BD drive that can dump them but I guess I believed that one too quickly.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Gecko OS automatically chooses which IOS is best for it when it starts up. (At least it does with IOS36 (which doesn't apply here) and IOS249. It's been a long time since I've used it and I didn't have IOS236 installed on my Wii at the time. It makes sense that it would also look for that one but I can't be sure.) If it's not doing that then it should be possible to tell it which one to use in the meta.xml file but I'm no expert on how to do that. You could also install D2X into IOS249 which should work as well.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gecko OS automatically chooses which IOS is best for it when it starts up. (At least it does with IOS36 (which doesn't apply here) and IOS249. It's been a long time since I've used it and I didn't have IOS236 installed on my Wii at the time. It makes sense that it would also look for that one but I can't be sure.) If it's not doing that then it should be possible to tell it which one to use in the meta.xml file but I'm no expert on how to do that. You could also install D2X into IOS249 which should work as well.

Can you walk me through installing D2X into IOS249 and what all I would need? Thanks in advance :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?