Going back to basics: leaving PC gaming for consoles

gbatemp_title_banner_back_to_basics_pc_ps5.jpg

In what I can only feel like what was some hybrid mixture of a stroke of complete luck and sappy-movie-tier holiday miracle generosity, I find myself with a PlayStation 5 right in time for the holidays. It’s a sad state that merely buying a console has become a heroic feat, and yet, that fact makes it all the more exhilarating to be part of the next console generation. So, what better to do with this powerhouse system, than play Assassin’s Creed II; a game that’s over 11 years old, and originally released two console generations ago?

Backwards compatibility is one of the greatest features of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series line, letting players go back and experience an entire enhanced backlog of games while waiting for the heavy-hitting “next-gen” games to release, or while waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to be in a playable state. Add to the fact that many of the games from the PlayStation 4’s library consisted of touched-up PlayStation 3 remasters in the form of Heavy Rain Remastered, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, The Yakuza Collection--every “trilogy”, “collection”, “legendary/definitive/ultimate/special” edition, and so many, many more; you could easily have a hundred PS4 games, none of them originating from that system’s own generation.

image0.jpg

In fact, I’ve yet to actually play a single PlayStation 5 game on my PS5. Perhaps it would be seen as bizarre, but as an ex-PC player, and only ever having owned the original PS4 and not the Pro, my favorite part about the PS5 is its ability to play older games at higher framerates or better quality. Games that I easily ignored on the base PlayStation 4 due to their performance have transformed into titles that I find myself wishlisting in hopes of nabbing them on sale at a later date. Even more exciting is that, as opposed to PC games which get dramatic price cuts seasonally, once a console game has been out for a while, the physical version tends to undergo a permanent price drop. It may not be as steep of a discount, but it’s affordable, and doesn’t require waiting around to be sniped during a perfect sale; the ideal combination for someone who’s just gotten a PS5 and is too impatient to wait for holiday price cuts just yet, or might have missed the best deals during Black Friday.

While I still hold an appreciation for PC gaming, the simple nature of consoles has won me back over. Yes, you can’t mod your games as freely, you can’t...try out all those fun demos from Codex, and the fidelity won’t come close to the best of what PCs are capable of right now--especially in the future--but at the same time, you also don’t have to do any fiddling with settings, there’s no worrying about the quality of a PC port, and most importantly, a PS5 doesn’t multitask; it has one purpose: games, and I find myself not getting distracted by things that might normally pull me out of an experience on my PC, like untimely Windows Update restarts, random BSODs, or compatibility issues after said updates. Perhaps it’s just part of my ongoing bad run of luck with PC gaming, but it took an entire hour of messing with settings, watching a game crash repeatedly, and desperately scouring the Steam forums with a friend after Detroit: Become Human stopped working, thanks to an Nvidia GeForce Experience update for Cyberpunk 2077 rendering the former unstable and unable to be played without rolling back to a random sketchy upload of a driver from over six months ago. That’s not something that would ever happen on a console.

pc y.png

The amount of customization PCs provide is a blessing as much as it is a curse.

This generation, Microsoft and Sony seem to have understood what might pique the interest of PC gamers: giving players that same option between graphics and performance, in a simple box that doesn’t ask much of its user; just download a game or slide a disc in, and It Just Works (TM). Of course, not everyone is going to see things that way, and that’s fine. After all, the PC platform is all about giving users the freedom of choice, and now, excitingly, PlayStation and Xbox users are able to get a taste of that glorious freedom, too.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Honestly, i almost never have this problem...in 98% of cases it works flawlessly.
Perhaps your PC is faulty or drivers...whatever.

I cant see Consoles having any advantages over PC.

pc-y-png.241022

Reactions: MrCokeacola

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I'm am an elitist and this thread makes me very angry. You are criticiscising PC Master Race and it makes my blood boil. I am superior. My choices of game device is superior. I am the best there is. And I want nothing less. Console trash belongs in the trash. I am better then you. I am a smooth person, just like my framerates. This opinion is of trash thats beneath me.

Reactions: DS1 and CathyRina

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I honestly can't stand PC gaming. I play some games on my PC but overall, I find PC gaming to be more work than reward, and the cost of constantly needing to update one's hardware not worth it. If there's something I enjoy about console gaming is that chances are higher that any game I buy for my systems is going to work, unless that game is Cyberpunk.
You don't need to constantly upgrade your hardware. You don't need the newest graphics card just because its new and shiny. You should only upgrade if you become unhappy with the performance of your pc. So keep your gpu as long as you can which is a nobel thing and causes less E-Waste.

Plus the only thing worth upgrading is your GPU. And that is the easiest thing to install compared to rest of the pc hardware.

Most of the time at higher resolutions it becomes more gpu bound and relies less on cpu, so you can keep a cpu for a lot longer then the gpu and still get great performance.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You don't need to constantly upgrade your hardware. You don't need the newest graphics card just because its new and shiny. You should only upgrade if you become unhappy with the performance of your pc. So keep your gpu as long as you can which is a nobel thing and causes less E-Waste.

Plus the only thing worth upgrading is your GPU. And that is the easiest thing to install compared to rest of the pc hardware.

Most of the time at higher resolutions it becomes more gpu bound and relies less on cpu, so you can keep a cpu for a lot longer then the gpu and still get great performance.
My issue is more that it seems like newer games keep pushing the requirements higher and higher. This is expected and normal in technology but in recent years it seems to push faster and harder. The same laptop I have now used to play GTA 5 with near 60FPS and load online just fine. Going back to it after a year of not playing and I noticed some very noticeable slowdowns and the game needing more resources when playing online. I do need a new laptop, but it kind of sucks to see the very same game I used to play without any hassle now requiring more and more with each passing update.

Reactions: Codemastershock

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
My issue is more that it seems like newer games keep pushing the requirements higher and higher. This is expected and normal in technology but in recent years it seems to push faster and harder. The same laptop I have now used to play GTA 5 with near 60FPS and load online just fine. Going back to it after a year of not playing and I noticed some very noticeable slowdowns and the game needing more resources when playing online. I do need a new laptop, but it kind of sucks to see the very same game I used to play without any hassle now requiring more and more with each passing update.
Performance should be great still and the same. It's maybe because they added new graphical features the improves the look. But the easily solvable by scaling back the graphical detail a bit.

GPU should perform the same even when new hardware comes out. It doesn't make it obsolete or become worse if something new appears.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Performance should be great still and the same. It's maybe because they added new graphical features the improves the look. But the easily solvable by scaling back the graphical detail a bit.

GPU should perform the same even when new hardware comes out. It doesn't make it obsolete or become worse if something new appears.
It's not a drastic difference, mostly just takes longer to connect Online and I noticed slightly more VRAM being taken up. That's not the best example, but it is an example that more so just bothers me. It could be just as pants on PS4, but I actually don't know and I am considering testing it to find out.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Newer games do push higher and higher but thats the nature of PC, you get more detail then consoles. You can scale back the graphics if you want console parity.

But the option to take advantage of more powerful hardware is what makes pc great. You can scale graphics however you want. And many games also use a easy toggle. Mid, high, or extreme graphical detail. Just one setting to change, and all settings are affected. More streamlines and simple, no need to toggle individual if you don't want to.

Freedom of choice is what makes pc great. Just like freedom to use different custom firmwares for 3ds. Mods on pc are great to extend life of games.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Newer games do push higher and higher but thats the nature of PC, you get more detail then consoles. You can scale back the graphics if you want console parity.

But the option to take advantage of more powerful hardware is what makes pc great. You can scale graphics however you want. And many games also use a easy toggle. Mid, high, or extreme graphical detail. Just one setting to change, and all settings are affected. More streamlines and simple, no need to toggle individual if you don't want to.

Freedom of choice is what makes pc great. Just like freedom to use different custom firmwares for 3ds. Mods on pc are great to extend life of games.
If I had the money to enjoy PC gaming, maybe it would be an option for me. Currently, I am in a lot of debt due to Covid and doing what I can to enjoy my gaming. Buying new parts for a PC or even a new PC is simply not worth the investment at this time. That's kind of my other big issue, which is the investment. Building or buying a good PC is an investment and one not everyone can make. I know I can change the setting and all that jazz but yeah that's only going so far. In most cases, I know making an investment in a console means that 98% of the time the games I am buying are working to work just fine. There might be some issues but it's rare for those issues to affect me that much.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If I had the money to enjoy PC gaming, maybe it would be an option for me. Currently, I am in a lot of debt due to Covid and doing what I can to enjoy my gaming. Buying new parts for a PC or even a new PC is simply not worth the investment at this time. That's kind of my other big issue, which is the investment. Building or buying a good PC is an investment and one not everyone can make. I know I can change the setting and all that jazz but yeah that's only going so far. In most cases, I know making an investment in a console means that 98% of the time the games I am buying are working to work just fine. There might be some issues but it's rare for those issues to affect me that much.
Ya PC is very much a maintenance. Most games I play work fine. But you'll find an oddball that doesn't work more often on a PC then Console. Its understandable, if you don't have money for it, you won't get hate for that.

Apparently a youtuber built a PC using 5 yr old hardware for the same price as a PS5 and around the same performance for that console. So it could be possible to build a PC with same performance and price. But his conclusion is under question. It's not that his data is wrong. He's only reporting what results he sees on screen from benchmarks. But it's too early to say PS5 is a 5 year old PC, without having games coming out taking full advantage of the hardware.

But then again the 1080 ti came out 4 yrs ago and it has the same performance as a 2080 which is what the x-box series x is compared too. So its not a stretch to say its about 5 yr old pc hardware. The advantage though of ps5 is that it has better ray trace capabilites.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
In what I can only feel like what was some hybrid mixture of a stroke of complete luck and sappy-movie-tier holiday miracle generosity, I find myself with a PlayStation 5 right in time for the holidays. It’s a sad state that merely buying a console has become a heroic feat, and yet, that fact makes it all the more exhilarating to be part of the next console generation. So, what better to do with this powerhouse system, than play Assassin’s Creed II; a game that’s over 11 years old, and originally released two console generations ago?

Backwards compatibility is one of the greatest features of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series line, letting players go back and experience an entire enhanced backlog of games while waiting for the heavy-hitting “next-gen” games to release, or while waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to be in a playable state. Add to the fact that many of the games from the PlayStation 4’s library consisted of touched-up PlayStation 3 remasters in the form of Heavy Rain Remastered, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, The Yakuza Collection--every “trilogy”, “collection”, “legendary/definitive/ultimate/special” edition, and so many, many more; you could easily have a hundred PS4 games, none of them originating from that system’s own generation.

In fact, I’ve yet to actually play a single PlayStation 5 game on my PS5. Perhaps it would be seen as bizarre, but as an ex-PC player, and only ever having owned the original PS4 and not the Pro, my favorite part about the PS5 is its ability to play older games at higher framerates or better quality. Games that I easily ignored on the base PlayStation 4 due to their performance have transformed into titles that I find myself wishlisting in hopes of nabbing them on sale at a later date. Even more exciting is that, as opposed to PC games which get dramatic price cuts seasonally, once a console game has been out for a while, the physical version tends to undergo a permanent price drop. It may not be as steep of a discount, but it’s affordable, and doesn’t require waiting around to be sniped during a perfect sale; the ideal combination for someone who’s just gotten a PS5 and is too impatient to wait for holiday price cuts just yet, or might have missed the best deals during Black Friday.

While I still hold an appreciation for PC gaming, the simple nature of consoles has won me back over. Yes, you can’t mod your games as freely, you can’t...try out all those fun demos from Codex, and the fidelity won’t come close to the best of what PCs are capable of right now--especially in the future--but at the same time, you also don’t have to do any fiddling with settings, there’s no worrying about the quality of a PC port, and most importantly, a PS5 doesn’t multitask; it has one purpose: games, and I find myself not getting distracted by things that might normally pull me out of an experience on my PC, like untimely Windows Update restarts, random BSODs, or compatibility issues after said updates. Perhaps it’s just part of my ongoing bad run of luck with PC gaming, but it took an entire hour of messing with settings, watching a game crash repeatedly, and desperately scouring the Steam forums with a friend after Detroit: Become Human stopped working, thanks to an Nvidia GeForce Experience update for Cyberpunk 2077 rendering the former unstable and unable to be played without rolling back to a random sketchy upload of a driver from over six months ago. That’s not something that would ever happen on a console.

The amount of customization PCs provide is a blessing as much as it is a curse.

This generation, Microsoft and Sony seem to have understood what might pique the interest of PC gamers: giving players that same option between graphics and performance, in a simple box that doesn’t ask much of its user; just download a game or slide a disc in, and It Just Works (TM). Of course, not everyone is going to see things that way, and that’s fine. After all, the PC platform is all about giving users the freedom of choice, and now, excitingly, PlayStation and Xbox users are able to get a taste of that glorious freedom, too.
After getting a PS5 I'm starting to notice the short comings of the console. It's not as plug in play or it just works. I wasn't getting full audio. Had to Google help to get audio to work on my PS5. The auto detection wasn't working properly. It was a combination of TV settings and Console settings to get it to work. It's less plug in play in pc more games have problems getting to run properly, but I ran most games fine on my pc without googling for help.

I would disagree 100% with @Hells Malice. There is things to be gained going higher then 60 fps. At 120 it feels like a different game. It's feels more responsive, like i'm more in control of the character. That's a big turn off for me not feeling in control. At 60 it feels sluggish like a tank. And the faster responsiveness is what makes the game more fun.

Plus I get motion sickness at 60. It looks choppier. 120 fps is where it starts to feel fine. Fighting games locked at 60 makes me nauseous. And you get better motion clarity at higher frame rates. 1000 hz displays is the ultimate end goal in the next 20 yrs with crt like motion sharpness. And frame boosting tech like dlss should help make it easier to hit that.

Hardly any ps5 games at 120. There's games that I have a pc equivalent and wish ps5 can go higher instead of being locked at 60 like starwars jedi fallen order. That game runs at 1200p. The frame rate and resolution is because ps5 os holds it back. Unless its optimized with ps5 code, backwards compatibility sucks compared to series x that can run that game at higher res. Something I don't deal with on the pc side. But I still miss going above 60. And I have the freedom to lessen graphic quality on pc and optimize higher frame rate more then my ps5. Which even performance modes locks me at 60 in most titles.

Last edited by SG854,

sonyabyrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles can have one advantage over PCs. Considering how much the prices of PC components have increased, it will be very expensive to assemble a new monster for yourself now. Consoles can be much cheaper than PCs, but it seems to me that this is their only advantage, not counting exclusive games. After selecting a new monitor on https://10roar.com the advantages of the PC began to play with new colors for me. No console is capable of running something like Star Citizen or GTA with mods to improve graphics, so the picture on the PC is much better than on consoles. This helps to immerse yourself in the game to the maximum.

Last edited by sonyabyrd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1