1. k7ra

k7ra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ahah, backward compability...
    If you have ps4 games, then you have ps4.
    For this price buy ps4.
    IF ps5 would support all older console games that would be epic, but it's lose to xbox in it.
    Better get then xbox. (And I'm have all ps so far, so I know what I talking. PS5 not worth buyng right now. I own all nintendo consoles too, plus xbox360)

2. SocialPermaDeath

Newcomer

United States
    I personally prefer consoles simply for their simplicity and the fact that they are kinda perfected for this one thing. I've always found sitting at a desk to play games painful for my back (the fact that I have a shitty chair probably doesn't help) but with my consoles, they were designed to be played lying on a couch or bed and I don't need extra long cables or a bed-desk for the mouse and keyboard to play it in a more comfortable position. I also don't care too much about specs so that could be another factor why I play most of my games on PS4 and Switch.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  3. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    PC gaming is a joke. What was the last AAA exclusive for PC? Star Craft 2? lol.

Memoir likes this.
  4. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    Yeah, you don't really play on PC for access to any sort of exclusives. This is coming from a guy currently a PC gamer.

5. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Germany
    Recently I've been more interested in moving my gaming from PC to Xbox as well.
    My PC gets BSOD sometimes (very uncommon but is annoying each time it happens) and the PC port jobs are very inconsistent. Some PS4/XBO games run better on my System but some just have trouble keeping a stable framerate. Also couch coop multiplayer practically doesn't exist on PC.

With consoles investing more into features not available on PC its also getting more spicy to play on those systems. Quick Resume on XBO & Xbox SeX is great. Being able to swap between multiple games on the spot is great when switching between PSO2 for a time limited even and a single player title. Skipping the boot sequence of both usually shaves off 5 minutes of just waiting for the games to load up. and even on the base XBO you have quick resume from booting up the console which skips 2 minutes of loading when starting the system (obv the game disconnects for MMO's but you still skip the boot sequence). This might sound insignificant but it adds up and per month you save between 1~3 hours you'd spend on load screens, which is something PC games have to suffer from since neither Steam nor Microsoft nor any other Storefront platform can replicate such feature on a system wide level.

Console gaming might have sucked in the last 2 generations due to being "worse PC's" but they're finally picking up the pace. It can only get better moving forward.

6. ShadF0x

ShadF0x Member
    Newcomer

Russia
    It's called "Hibernation" and "Alt-Tab". The former was a PC thing since 2000 and the latter - since 1985.

felix.200 likes this.
  7. XrosBlader821

Germany
    good luck alt tabbing with 8 games active at the same time. Sleep mode on PC pretty much always causes issues with games so i dunno what youre trying to prove.

Chary likes this.
  8. ShadF0x

ShadF0x Member
    Newcomer

Russia
    Not much. But the things you mentioned are literally those two things, just with a bit more polish and less user input.

9. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 Controversial opinions guy.

Brazil
    Lol. All the games I bought over 10 years ago have worked nicely on the 5 different PCs I've had since then.

zxr750j likes this.
  10. OctuplePrecision

Newcomer

United States
    The simplicity of the consoles is really nice. I think though the reason I just keep buying them is I love the titles are are exclusive to them. It's kind of annoying though there's no premium experience of the Switch for example (the build quality is okay, it would be nice if there were tighter fitting joy cons, and so on).

11. XrosBlader821

Germany
    Not really, having 8 resource intensive games alt tab-able on a PC would kill that computer, not to mention the ear-rape

12. ShadF0x

ShadF0x Member
    Newcomer

Russia
    If we take a PC comparable to the now-current gen consoles? Nah, 8 games isn't all that much. Ear-rape is solved by "mute on focus loss".

And if we apply the Xbox's approach to "multi-tasking" it becomes even easier - type-1 hypervisors like ESXi existed since 2001 and could freeze their VMs mid-operation even back then. It's just not very viable for general-use machines like your typical PC.

I'm telling ya, all this "Quick Resume" is just a fancy name for what is essentially alt-tabbing between different VMs/container images.

13. XrosBlader821

Germany
    and all im saying is that you cant do something identical like that on a PC which you basically just said yourself now.

14. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    Because people need to feel superior about something

15. ShadF0x

ShadF0x Member
    Newcomer

Russia
    No, I said that PCs could do all those "innovative" things you mentioned for decades now. There is just no demand for them when in comes to general use - usually you want your applications to interact with each other, and what consoles currently do is the complete opposite of that.

16. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I think you kinda missed the point, and I think it is because you didnt face this issue.
    Changing settings is not hard, the issue is that I waste so much time tinkering with them that I completely ignore the actual game. Unless you have a reaaly good machine, which is already very expensive and in my country is even more because buying second hand is not an option, you will have to change settings to make the game work somehow, problem is that most people just tweak the settings they need and done. I change them, the game is running better, but now I am not satisfied how the game looks and try another settings, I get bored with the lenghty loadings and try to defrag the hard drive, now I try to free some space, other time I run the task manager and see what processes I can kill to free resources for the game.... I wasted this time trying to make the game and everything around it run better when I could be playing.
    Other issue I didnt mentioned but it is worthwhile for me is the OS itself, that is why I dont like reading on my phone and was searching for a dedicated ereader. I know that I can deactivate notifications and I already do this, every app that isnt a music or a messaging app have notifications blocked, but unconsciously I know that I can scroll on social media indefinitely instead of reading. (not mentioning how phone screens are kinda awful for long reading sessions, but...)

Benja81 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  17. Prime_Zero

Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can never leave PC gaming to go back to only Console gaming.

Now that I have said that, I have left PC gaming to go back to console gaming lol. My computer is in anther country right now and I in the other. Covid is blocking me from getting it, and mailing it is to risky my brother would half @$$ it for sure, and shipping things to Canada is over priced to the point is horribly wrong. My labtop I currently use is not built for gaming so I am very limited on what I can play. Its a Zbook 15, its a great laptop good cpu, memory is like 16 gigs, but its held back by its Nvidia Quadro K2100M.

I stopped caring about the playstion after the PS2, Any games I wanted on Xbox or the PS always end up on PC. And the game series I used to love no longer get made...Nintendo is the only Console I have bought over the years, partly cause of all the good original titles. Though my Wife has a PS4 so I plan on playing that if I go anther year with out my precious computer....

Mostly playing just the Nintendo Switch and 3Ds these days, and probably longer till covid and done and over. Than I shall return to the PC Master race where I belong....

18. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I love the backwards compatibility of the PC, I own and play lots of old PC games without have to resort to emulation, I just install them and they run even better than when the games came out! I won't mention the initial and running costs of my 4 year old pc though. That said I also love my switch, being able to game everywhere is a blessing. In a lockdown house with 4 persons it's nice to put on some headphones and leave everyone else doing their own thing without me having to hog the television to play my console games. We have a PS4 (it has his own room) but I never touch it. Sometimes I miss some exclusives, I loved playing Little Big Planet on the PS3 (sadly it was stolen along with a part of my console/game collection) on a big screen, it was way better than LBP on my current Vita.

In short: I'm glad not having to choose between them, I can and do switch from consoles to pc on a daily basis!

MadMakuFuuma and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  19. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    i'm so glad i have choice between PC and console. so i choose both. i like pc games, i like to play pc games that have poor console counterparts, and i love when i play some games on emulators that surpass the performance on original hardware (metroid prime trilogy 1080p, for example). then i like to chill and play some games on my 3ds, or hook up my mega drive and play some games "the old school way", but then, i like to play the same games on retroarch, with cheevos on, filters etc. so i don't see why some people like to moan about "my way is better than yours". or even fight about it. but yeah, i guess is the time we live ;(

Last edited by MadMakuFuuma, Jan 13, 2021
  20. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I get it in that case! Whereas with the PS5 at least you know the games you will get are (99/100) already optimized pretty well for the system out of the box.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - consoles, leaving, basics