RELEASE Gen7 Engine - Visual Programming Engine for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by iyenal, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    sits at roughly 50% of the install and doesnt go any further.. tried twice.. couldnt install..

2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Huh, this looks alot like the program that my college had me use during our entrance test, and that was a really nice, lightweight way of seeing who and how folks would work in a programming course.

Nice job, might give this a little go myself when I get some spare time.

3. Meepers55

Meepers55 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    So Scratch for Switch?

4. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    The setup takes a lot of time (let it at least half an hour), so make sure you don't force close it before.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I hope that engine will be much better than Scratch, to be honest!

5. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    I had almost finished a quick start guide for Gen7 Engine... when I let my pc for few minutes and guess what I find when I come back... a blue screen with "Updating - 2%".

Yes, Windows just decided to update now. Thanks, very cool.
    So well, I recommend you to wait that I upload the Quick Start guide before to download and install, so you're aware of everything. Because otherwise, it looks like a software thrown from nowhere, I understand that. You can't comprehend an engine just with the feeling. That's why I am sorry I can't upload the guide sooner.

lordelan likes this.
  6. 321_Islender_123

321_Islender_123 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Aw, Windows 10 disappoints me sometimes with things like this. I prefer Windows 7 but I use Windows 10 because Microsoft made it so some software doesn't run on Windows 7. Also, good work iyenal! I'm excited to try this out soon!

iyenal likes this.
  7. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    hippy dave and wicksand420 like this.
  8. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    WOW you really outdid yourself with this, this is the best thing to come to the switch yet i will be trying this out for sure if you dont win the bounty then its probably rigged.

iyenal likes this.
  9. CKkio23

CKkio23 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    United States
    is it buggy for anyone else? also why is the installer 500mb? if all your doing is extracting a cab file

10. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    What do you mean by buggy? If you just tell is it buggy then I am not very advanced in your subject. Please report all the bugs in the Azure Devops repository so I can fix them, otherwise it is likely to be forgotten.
    The installer is 500Mb+500Mb package because of a Visual Studio bug, which I didn't resolved. (it seems VS have splitted the package in 2 parts, one in the executable and one embedded, maybe because of a cab address limitation but I didn't yet saw by myself).

Last edited by iyenal, Nov 8, 2018
  11. CKkio23

CKkio23 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    United States
    Alright, It was my bad forgot to include code for compiling was causing bugs.

12. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, it's true that thing is not evident. That's why reading the Quick Start documentation is mandatory.

Also I redone a third test on a totally clean Windows 10 machine, and everything worked as expected, from installation to compilation. So again please, be patient when you install and read the documentation before doing anything!

Why force quit the installation is not the solution?
    Because Windows thinks that when a program doesn't refresh its UI, it is considered as an not responding program.
    But that's wrong, I freeze the UI as currently the setup is uni-thread so to lower installation time, I can't do anything else than to freeze provoking a "not responding". But the program itself is well and truly working on its process.
    When the installation finishes, it is not anymore not responding.
    So yeah, you're not helping the setup doing its work if you stop it, plus it may cause a corrupted installation which could be broken beyond repair.

Last edited by iyenal, Nov 8, 2018
  13. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    [​IMG]
    About 60Gb of Gen7 Engine downloads, thanks all!

lordelan likes this.
  14. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Announcing a new version coming soon:

Bugfixes:
    - Re-enabled Selection tool
    - Move tool crash fixed
    - Delete event tool re-enabled thanks to Selection
    - Standard reverted system font fixed (for computers without Open Sans font)
    - General another under-the-ground bugfixes

New features:
    - New system for comparators in events
    - File dialog to choose where to place compiled builds (no more hardwired)
    -> Consequently the build will be accessible directly from Windows "Quick Access"

Last edited by iyenal, Nov 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    lordelan, HoTsHoTz79, Eternam and 2 others like this.
  15. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    The new documentation is also coming, keep tuned!

[​IMG]

lordelan and hippy dave like this.
  16. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    New version of Gen7 Engine released! download (link also updated in main post):

Fixed:
    - Fixed Selection crash
    - Font problem hotfix
    - General bugfix and optimizations

Added:
    - Added Move
    - Added Remove

- New comparators system:

upload_2018-11-12_23-3-24.png
    Use these buttons to choose the comparaison in case of conditionnal events. This will be explained in details in the incoming documentation.

- New welcome window
    - Better compression

If you have the previous version, just re-run the setup it will (normally) overwrite the current installation on your computer.

hippy dave and masagrator like this.
  17. iyenal
    OP

iyenal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    As for minor reference, modtendo! (gbatemp.net/threads/modtendo-mod-store-download-and-find-all-the-mods-easily-and-directly-on-your-wii.502381/) download system have been developed using a very very basic visual programming system of Gen7 Engine, which enabled me to code thousand of lines repetitively with ease. Small screen if you wanna see how it looked like from the start:
    upload_2018-11-15_21-50-15.png
    Don't try to understand it's purely out of context old screen I archived. It didn't even had Gen7 Engine name, it was just named ADT (Automatic Dataflow Tool, as it used data blocks to compose that code). We have come a long way so far!

lordelan likes this.