Can I use homebrew build static library for my official Nintendo sdk build game ?

VIVALALP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First time here to ask question
Situation are now I want to make my game ( which is build by ren'py game engine ) porting to switch platform.

I'm totally new to this area and don't want to contact publisher ( i'm a stubborn indie game developer )

here's what I know:
- nintendo provide visual studio template project, which allow me to build cpp project into nsp file
- I can use visual studio's linker to link some static library

I notice there are some static library that are already built using switch homebrew toolchain. ( like libpython.a etc. )
if I am able to use these static library, then I don't have to build it again ( you know, input to linker in visual studio )

I wonder if it is possible to use the homebrew static library in my visual studio nsp project ( both technically and legally )

also I'm quite curios about the homebrew build nro file, like what is it and why the homebrew team create a nro file concept instead of directly build into nsp file

thanks!

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
homebrew nsp file except for replacing existing system apps requires installing it, and installing and running it requires digital sign accepted by OS. Private key is available only for Nintendo, so to run any installable nsp you must crack system to accept anything. And this also results in enabling piracy.

With NRO you don't need to install it and to run it you don't need to enable piracy, and album is replaced with hbloader nsp that doesn't require installation (because we are replacing existing applet) and is a middle man between you and running multiple homebrew without replacing nsp every time you need to run new homebrew.

You can't use homebrew library if it's not self contained (so it doesn't use system calls), because they require "superuser" level of privilege that retail games don't have. So anything requiring libnx is out of question.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: mathew77

VIVALALP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homebrew nsp file except for replacing existing system apps requires installing it, and installing and running it requires digital sign accepted by OS. Private key is available only for Nintendo, so to run any installable nsp you must crack system to accept anything. And this also results in enabling piracy.

With NRO you don't need to install it and to run it you don't need to enable piracy, and album is replaced with hbloader nsp that doesn't require installation (because we are replacing existing applet) and is a middle man between you and running multiple homebrew without replacing nsp every time you need to run new homebrew.

You can't use homebrew library if it's not self contained (so it doesn't use system calls), because they require "superuser" level of privilege that retail games don't have. So anything requiring libnx is out of question.
thanks for clarify for me.

so for porting different engine to switch platform, is there any other solution other than using the nintendo provide visual studio template?

or is there any resources available ( though very unlikely due to regulations)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto