Can I take a homebrew game, and create an NSP that installs the game into the Switch folder and creates a forwarder for home screen?

L33t_Switch_User

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. I would like to take a homebrew switch game (like simpsons hit and run) and create an NSP that installs the game to the switch folder, then creates a shortcut to the game on the home screen. I downloaded "Sonic the Hedgehog Time Twisted [NSP]" torrent, and it installed the homebrew game just like an official game, with nro forwarder to home screen, and I was quite impressed. Also the entire game was contained within this nsp file. Thanks in advance. B-)

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew games are usually launched from the homebrew menu. I'm not really sure how they did it. There is a way (or at least used to be a way) to make a forwarder to launch it from your main screen but I haven't used those nsp forwarders in so long i forgot.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I never saw anybody doing this. I saw homebrew game being packed as normal NSP game, with being installable on both sd and nand, but not just unpacking files into a swithc folder

L33t_Switch_User

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I make ROM forwarders and homebrew forwarders all the time, what i need is to be able to make an installable NSP (I am using simpsons hit and run for this). It needs to install the simpsons game somewhere, and preferably also install the forwarder automatically. I will check out nspbuild, thank you for the suggestion Gamerjin! I asked chatgpt how to do it, and it recommended the program NSC Builder, which I have been messing with (and is awesome) but I can't figure out a way to use homebrew with the program. Thanks for the comments so far!

this looks better for building nsps, but i dont think it supports homebrew...

https://gbatemp.net/download/nspack-simple-nsp-package-and-nca-content-builder.35223/
Post automatically merged:

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 1.23.40 PM.png

I make ROM forwarders and homebrew forwarders all the time, what i need is to be able to make an installable NSP (I am using simpsons hit and run for this). It needs to install the simpsons game somewhere, and preferably also install the forwarder automatically. I will check out nspbuild, thank you for the suggestion Gamerjin! I asked chatgpt how to do it, and it recommended the program NSC Builder, which I have been messing with (and is awesome) but I can't figure out a way to use homebrew with the program. Thanks for the comments so far!

this looks better for building nsps, but i dont think it supports homebrew...

https://gbatemp.net/download/nspack-simple-nsp-package-and-nca-content-builder.35223/

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 1.23.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 1.25.44 PM.png

This is what the info looks like, for Sonic Time Twisted, it's a homebrew sonic port, that I downloaded as this NSP file. I'd like to make NSP installers for a few other homebrew games, it would just be nice to know how to package it like done here...

I never saw anybody doing this. I saw homebrew game being packed as normal NSP game, with being installable on both sd and nand, but not just unpacking files into a swithc folder
this would be fine. to be honest i don't really care where the files end up, as long as the homebrew game installs and launches like a normal switch game. Do you know how to pack homebrew games as normal NSP?

I think I found a solution, just not sure how to generate the .NSO file for the simpsons hit and run game.. this has me going down a rabbit hole...

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/Nspbuild_By_ThatNerdyPikachu

it would be nice to create an NSP installer for Descent 2. Here is the github, I just have to figure out how to compile on either mac or windows, but preferably mac...

https://github.com/aagallag/DXX-Switch

they have compile instructions, which gives me errors naturally. It would be great to at least make this NSP a reality. Just need to compile, then grab the .NSO it spits out..

Last edited by L33t_Switch_User,

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The only forwarder I have on my Switch is the one for HBMenu in case I need to access it with one of the joycons with a faulty R button. But these came already prepackaged as Nintendo Submission Packages, so I just used Tinfoil to install them. Not sure how you'd forward a NRO file.

L33t_Switch_User

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i spent so many hours trying to build descent 2 on my mac, and ended up getting tons of errors. all i wanted was the .nso file that supposedly is made when you build the game. oh well. im done with this shit for today. I appreciate all the comments, but I am not interested in making a forwarder. I want to make an nsp that installs a homebrew game (like descent 2). doesn't look like this will happen unless i am able to build the game from source.. and now my mac is running slower.. oh well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch