GBARunner2

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Gericom, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    That just depends on the flashcard for whatever reason. Like I said earlier, if the bios doesn't boot, the problems are not related to the game.

2. Swampat

Swampat The swamp monster that pats the ground

May 25, 2017
    United States
    Really wish this worked on srloader without rocket launcher. I am really getting impatient and this Soon thing makes me angrier.

3. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    We are kinda looking into that.

Swampat likes this.
  4. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I'veslowly been testing some of the games that are marked as unplayable on the wiki, and I've updated the compatibility list where I found changes. So far I've only found that the games that were reported to have issues with bios looping or white screen after the bios, still have that. So far, the only game I've found that is now working, with speed boost from wramicache version, is "Azumanga Daioh Advance". I'll report and see what more I find. Eventually I'm gonna check games that are reported as unplayable, but were playable in an earlier commit.

5. Swampat

Swampat The swamp monster that pats the ground

May 25, 2017
    United States
    So when do you think saving on the SD card will be implemented?

6. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    So, I've been testing a lot of games lately. Not found any changes on either version. I'll publish what games later, however note that they were all games that were listed as working on an earlier commit. I figure my next move will be to test games that are reported as suffering from slowdown.

7. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yeah, that would be a good idea. I'll make a build of the latest git version on Friday. The wramicache version should work even better now. So you might want to wait for that version to compare the speed.

Zense and zfreeman like this.
  8. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Sweet! I'll wait for the new version then :D

9. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Here's the new version, commit f9e6ded (28/02/2018). I've cleaned up some stuff and improved the wramicache version. More games might support it now and it should be even faster too. The arm7 version is compatible with srloader on dsi now as well!

Attached Files:

haiviet2011, zfreeman and Zense like this.
  10. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Wow that's amazing! Great work! I'lI try and test some games this evening

11. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    With the new commit I keep getting a white screen and test when using my DSL and r4irts, so I'm gonna try and format and cleanup my microsd and swtich between my different consoles to see if I can get it running. So far only the noicache version works on my ak2i. Tested a few games with it but nothing noteworthy there yet.

On another note, what flashcard are you using @Gericom ? I'm tempted to just order another flashcard especially if I'm not able to get this running.

EDIT: Added a photo of what the bottom screen says before giving "test". Still got this after reformating the microsdcard

r4irts
    ak2i icache

Last edited by Zense, Mar 3, 2018
  12. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    I recently didn't test with my original r4, since I use my IS-NITRO-EMULATOR for testing. It could be that some additional proper initialization is needed, since some of that is gone when I made it compatible with dsi. Different ways of launching may have a slightly different situation at startup.

Also, why doesn't the icache version work on your ak2i

Edit: I might need to initialize some powercontrol registers or something. I'm gonna look into it. It should be fixable.

Last edited by Gericom, Mar 3, 2018
    zfreeman and haiviet2011 like this.
  13. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    How does this work is it emulation how does the ds emulate the gba at full speed when the old 3ds can't

14. Lyrin

Lyrin Annoying Weaboo Girl

Jun 4, 2017
    United States
    It's a hypervisor like Nintendont.

15. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    So after a lot of troubleshooting I found that in order to get this version running for me (trying to use my ak2i, cyclods and ysmenu) I had to run it through srloader, replacing the gbarunner2 file that comes included with it in the _nds folder.

16. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    whats the diffrece between what this is doing and what agbfirm is doing

It would be better to understand how agb firmware works os we can have cheats the gba vc games have much better compatibility then this.

17. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Agb firm is actual gba hardware with 3ds memory mapped as gba cartridge. This runs in ds mode and uses memory protection to catch accesses to things which don't exist or are different on ds to handle them right.

Edit: also as so cheats and rts would not be possible on 3ds agbfirm. Because it's all just hardware.

Last edited by Gericom, Mar 3, 2018
    Lyrin likes this.
  18. Lyrin

Lyrin Annoying Weaboo Girl

Jun 4, 2017
    United States
    Gee, how about you go learn about reverse engineering AGB FIRM instead of complaining about people's hard work?

19. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    i do wonder though if we could run gbamode on the dsi but redirect the game to the sd card.

20. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    There is also not much to reverse. AGB FIRM just handles showing the video outputted from gba on screen and that's iy basically

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's impossible. There is no way to redirect the gba bus without extra hardware. This is why gbarunner2 has to exist in the first place. Also, I'm not sure if a dsi actually still contains gba hardware.