GBARunner2

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Gericom, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Wood seems to look at the game id and the arm7 load address, I'm not sure about other loaders. And indeed, if those commands are supported at all is really flashcard dependent. A fact is though that accessing romfs the Nintendo way is often way faster than the libnitrofs way of doing it, especially with large nds files.

2. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Makes sense, since homebrew prefers to use dldi instead.
    How much is known about current compatibility issues? What are the major performance bottlenecks? What are the potential solutions?
    Thanks for answering all my questions, by the way. I find the project very interesting.

3. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    It may happen that it only opens the interface when there is WiFi activity?
    I remember reading that the console didn't even have the WiFi drivers.. They are located in the cartridges (that's why almost every single cart has the WiFi config thing) but then again the console has pico chat... But thats other protocol of communicating... (if I am right)

@Dodain47 may I suggest you to use pastebin.com? Create a single pastebin.com link and then edit with the new titles you test.. You created a mess in the thread..
    OE maybe in github, or a Google docs Excell? that way you can even easily re use and edit when a new gba runner version comes out and there is more compatibility

4. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Thanks for the suggestion @migles, but I don´t really understand pastebin or the Google docs Exell... :mellow:

5. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    The major performance bottleneck is the fat chain. If the fat chain is not cached in some way (for direct lookup), you have to walk all the way along it for non-sequencial accesses.

Well, some kind of, but I have just done some tests with my logic analyzer, and it is outputting data when I run a multiboot parent. I'm not sure why my pc wouldn't even detect it, but I'm almost sure I must be able to decode this data using my fpga. The logic analyzer (which is actually the same fpga) has no differential settings, so the capture is not very good, but the fpga has differential input buffers, so I should be able to use that.
    [​IMG]

As for the compatibility list, we already have one on the gbatemp wiki. I agree it clutters the topic a little. @Dodain47 Maybe you should not post like everything in this topic, but only if you find special cases. I still really appreciate your testing though, don't get me wrong.

6. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Ah, yes of course! Now I get it. I first thought @migles meant the compatibility wiki. Sorry about the mess. I will keep it in mind.:lol:

7. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    This is the physical DLDI FAT filesystem, not some sort of filesystem embedded in the GBA ROM? I'm guessing that GBARunner2 wouldn't need to be aware of such a thing.
    I know that nds-bootstrap maintains a cache of some part of the FAT. Maybe the same problem was encountered and solved there.

8. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    The nitrofs implementation of libnds simply opens the nds file on your sd card with libfat. I suggested indeed to preload the fat chain, which is what I do in gbarunner2 too. Still it could probably be faster the Nintendo way if flashcards would implement some kind of cache in hardware.

9. Mr Objection

Mr Objection GBAtemp Fan

Jul 10, 2016
    Argentina
    Do you have any compiled version that I could test? With the last changes I mean. And I want to say that I love your work, you are incredible.

Last edited by Mr Objection, Mar 3, 2017
  10. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    I'm gonna merge the file explorer branch to master this weekend and I'll upload the latest compiled version here then.

guisadop and Mr Objection like this.
  11. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Very cool project! Good luck with it :)

12. KlasseyKreations

KlasseyKreations photon readings negative

Feb 20, 2017
    Portugal
    So will GBARunner work on the original R4 for us old DS homebrew developers, or only on specific models, such as the R4i Gold?

13. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yes, it works fine on the original r4. I have one myself :)

14. KlasseyKreations

KlasseyKreations photon readings negative

Feb 20, 2017
    Portugal
    Cool, and wow I tried your YouTubeDS and "WholyLonelyPonyEatingMacorroni" it's impressive, do you know when it will get a GUI update (like seeing thumbnails)

15. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Good news, I've made some improvements using the is-nitro-emulator.

Big mutha truckers and street racing syndicate boot now. They had code in vram appearently at some place I didn't handle correctly yet. This might fix some other games too.

The file explorer branch has been merged into master now too.

Maybe when I have time to do that.

16. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Thanks for the update @Gericom!

I have tested some Games with the updated Master and compared them with the prievious Version.

Banjo Kazooie has a bit more Slowdown. The Audio has a bit more Noise. Circle of the Moon has a little less Slowdown. DKC 1 has a little less Slowdown. I noticed more Noise during the Intro. DKC 2 has a little less Slowdown. Much more Gfx Glitches during the First Waterlevel. DKC 3 has more Slowdown and much more Gfx Glitches during the First Level. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga has a bit more Slowdown. The Audio has a bit more Noise and stuttering. Wario Land 4 has some Slowdown now.

3D: V-Rally 3, Doom 2, Driver 2, Driver 3 are not working. Ford Racing 3 is almost Full Speed now and has less Gfx Glitches. Doom runs a bit faster. NFS Most Wanted is working again. The Buildings have no Textures.

You will find the latest Version of the master below.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Dodain47, Mar 5, 2017
    zfreeman likes this.
  17. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    I committed some bugfixes today.
    Maybe more mode-7 games that were broken previously are fixed now. Maybe @Dodain47 wants to test a couple of them.

This is the latest commit ba222be:

Attached Files:

AtlasFontaine likes this.
  18. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Whoa. A major Improvement. :yaynds: All three F-Zero are working. Maximum Velocity is Full Speed now. Climax and GP Legend almost with many Gfx Glitches. I will test more Games and post the Results on the wiki.

Edit: Advance Guardian Heroes (E) and Astro Boy Omega Factor (E) are both having much Slowdown in this Version and are Unplayable.

Last edited by Dodain47, Mar 6, 2017
    ahezard likes this.
  19. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Are you sure it's this version, and not already in the version before that?

20. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    It goes back to the old File Explorer Version Commit f3d2ef4 (2017/02/18) I have posted.