GBARunner2

Gericom Dec 4, 2016.

1. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Ah, makes sense. It's probably related to that 512 byte read. I'm gonna try to implement that using #define's, so I can try to find the sweet spot. Maybe 1024 or 2048 is better for example.

2. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    You merged the 512_block_read with the master. That explains the Noise increase in the DKC Games.

3. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yea, I merged it. According to @T-Tudor the difference on 4kb clusters was not that big. And the difference on 32kb was quite big (faster).
    Edit: I thought I merged it, but it seems like I didn't. I wonder where those problems come from then...

But as I said maybe 512 isn't the sweet spot. I'm gonna try to improve it.

@Dodain47 Could you try to trace back in which commit exactly those problems arose?

Last edited by Gericom, Mar 7, 2017
  4. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
  5. ambient

ambient Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    Antarctica
    Hi! First of all I'd like to thank you for your work @Gericom!

I'd like to report that it's not working on my Acekard 2i (latest AKAIO) on DSL. I've tried all versions linked in the wiki, but every time it freezes with the message TEST. I've done some searching and it seems that people already reported this issue on Acekard. Could you please do something to fix this? Acekard was quite popular back in the day and I believe a lot of people would like to use your program on this flashcart.

6. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    I'm having the same issue.
    It was working in an earlier build (the 3rd or 4th oldest) but it's been broken since then. I've not had the time to track down where exactly the regression was.

7. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    That seems very unlikely, since nothing related to gbarunner2 itself changed there. Only some build stuff.
    There must be something strange with that dldi driver. I'm gonna reimplement ARM7 read as a #define to support those cards again, however I would still like to know what causes this dldi driver not to function properly. Maybe it messes some stuff up.

metroid maniac likes this.
  8. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Charlotte's Web [E] regressed back from Full Speed to much Slowdown. It was Full Speed in the Commit 596fca3 (2017/02/04) Version. Maybe that´s a Hint?

Retinal_FAILURE likes this.
  9. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    But that was when the sound was not yet fixed right? I'm not exactly sure how much and in which way the new sound FIFO emulation effects speed

Also, are you sure you're still using 4kb clusters with your new sd?

Last edited by Gericom, Mar 8, 2017
  10. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Could SD cluster size explain why GBARunner2 was working on old builds and is no longer working?

11. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    @Gericom Yes, my sd card has 4kb cluster size.

12. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    No that's completely unrelated. In the oldest builds I was doing arm7 read, but I found out that arm 9 read was actually faster, so I switched to that.

13. AzerothArg

AzerothArg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    Argentina
    Hi! i've tried to run Aria of Sorrow (E), with a gbaruuner I compiled and I'm getting in a bios loop and not in the game..

Using:
    andres@sayako:~/GBARunner2$ git show
    commit ba222be9cd1440d82fb31e227f508762a6426a72
    Author: Gericom <f.nouwt@dshack.org>
    Date: Mon Mar 6 19:18:45 2017 +0100

On a r4 clone, any ideas?

14. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Hmm, could you try that build I posted? If it makes any difference.

15. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    @AzerothArg You could try to boot the rom with an Emulator like VBA to see if it has an Rom Intro. Those Intros are using an Code that´s currently not supported by gbarunner. If it does have an Intro you can remove it with the Tool gbata. This could break the Rom though.

Attached Files:

AzerothArg likes this.
  16. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Just to clarify, the problem is that those intros are appended to the rom and thus the code lies in an area that's not executable currently, because it's not loaded into ram.

AzerothArg likes this.
  17. AzerothArg

AzerothArg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    Argentina
    Yup, just tried the rom in vba and indeed it has an intro... will check if I can remove it without losing the rom or get a clean dump somewhere else...

Last edited by AzerothArg, Mar 9, 2017
  18. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    @Gericom In the latest Version, Gunstar Future Heroes (E) freezes after defeating the First Boss. The Game works fine in the Version 7e40932 (2017/03/04).

19. Gericom
    OP

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    I'll have a look at it. Might be related to those fake irq flags I introduced. I tried to fix the audio in metroid, but it didn't work anyway

20. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2017
    @Dodain47 Would you consider revising what is deemed playable in the wiki, or at least introduce a new category such as "very playable"? I think that playable should mean that a game runs at full speed, has no graphics glitches and has perfect audio. At the moment I think the playable category is too lenient, as it currently includes games that have graphics glitches, screen tearing, audio with noise and stuttering. I would consider games with these problems to be "working", but not necessarily playable. What do you think?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted