Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

diffikolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they blocked the exploit as of 5.1, so someone needs to find a new exploit. It's entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 5.1 but not 6.x, but it's also entirely possible that there's an exploit that exists in 6.x but not 5.1. We won't know until someone actually finds one.

But, unless you have dumped your NAND beforehand, you can't downgrade to lower firmwares, so if you're trying to decide between staying on 5.1 or going to 6.x, stay with 5.1. You can always update later if need be.

This is actually incorrect. The exploit that Gateway uses is present all the way to 6.2, they just have to edit the necessary code to make it work.

Source Email from Gateway Team:

"it is just requiring some work, but it will be done, as the same exploit is there on 5.x and up to 6.2"

Before anybody says it, I'm not helping Nintendo patch it by saying this now that Gateway is in the wild.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i read, gateway may only be able to support up to firmware 6.2. in the future since gateway is now in nintendo's hands things are going to be more difficult for them. since we can update our firmware through gateway roms I was wondering which game contains an update for 6.2. I am currently on 4.40 and would love to be able to update to 6.2 if gateway works on it. ( my fear is that ill have to update through nintendo and ill be forced to an even higher firmware than 6.2 by the time gateway supports it, and then i wont be able to play it.) its kinda hard to explain but you know what i mean? anyone have an answer?

Just don't update your console. Plain and simple. We talked about this, remember?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i read, gateway may only be able to support up to firmware 6.2. in the future since gateway is now in nintendo's hands things are going to be more difficult for them. since we can update our firmware through gateway roms I was wondering which game contains an update for 6.2. I am currently on 4.40 and would love to be able to update to 6.2 if gateway works on it. ( my fear is that ill have to update through nintendo and ill be forced to an even higher firmware than 6.2 by the time gateway supports it, and then i wont be able to play it.) its kinda hard to explain but you know what i mean? anyone have an answer?
Gateway may be able to support 6.2 in the future, but it may be able to support 6.3, 7.0, etc. in the future as well.

At the moment, no the highest game update is 5.1, and a few games require it.

If you really think they'll stop compatibility at 6.2, what you could do is turn on wifi, get the update to bug you, and then turn wifi off. You'll be stuck with it bugging you until you update, but that's the only guarantee of getting a 6.2 firmware. There may be no games that require 6.2. It may jump from 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.3/7.0. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to be able to play Gateway on a current firmware (at least for a long time), so I'd just stick with 4.5.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but if gateway supports 6.2. and you had the chance to update to 6.2 but an even higher firmware was out. what could be done then?

That is a really big if. We don't know if it will happen today, tomorrow, two years from now, or ever. If I had the chance to update to 6.2, I'd simply buy the games that have a 6.2 firmware update and then run the update stored on the cartridge, plain and simple.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but if gateway supports 6.2. and you had the chance to update to 6.2 but an even higher firmware was out. what could be done then?
There'd be no point. The only point in updating to 6.2 is to be able to use the eShop and whatnot, but if an even higher firmware comes out, that benefit is removed.

HackScene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to cause offense but all of what you say is just personal opinion based on absolutely nothing, no sources, nothing at all.

The Sony PSP was built very much around "anti-piracy", it uses signed code, signed plug-ins and pretty much all the good stuff a 3DS uses so you're just making stuff up really. You're wrong with the firmware version stuff of 6.20 etc, it wasn't worked on because it wasn't needed. By that point in time the ISOs could be patched and modules signed to run on lower firmware versions etc.

The real delay was when 2.0 firmware was released about 7-8 years ago.

Sorry for my rant...just hate reading basless cheerleader posts with no insight and likely no real experience with what they are talking about....6.20 firmware indeed!!?

How am I supposed to cite years of PSP hacking? I have a PSP 3000 and I got it with 6.10 firmware then upgraded to 6.20 not knowing of the hacks that could be done. The hack for it was called chickHEN. I remember all of what I said because I lived it. Don't tell me that what I said isn't true just because I didn't cite something that would take way too much effort. You can research it yourself and find that what i said was true. I kept up with wololo.com about everything in the PSP hacking scene. I stayed with them all the way up until the ps vita was released because I don't have one. And the whole 6.20 wasn't worked on because it wasn't need bit is a lie. The hackers worked very hard to get custom firmware for it and it was a good day when it finally was hacked. Right now the last firmware sony made for the PSP was 6.60. Fully hacked. I have had enough experience with that stuff that I can tell that you know nothing of it. Go somewhere else to call people liars that really aren't

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How am I supposed to cite years of PSP hacking? I have a PSP 3000 and I got it with 6.10 firmware then upgraded to 6.20 not knowing of the hacks that could be done. The hack for it was called chickHEN. I remember all of what I said because I lived it. Don't tell me that what I said isn't true just because I didn't cite something that would take way too much effort. You can research it yourself and find that what i said was true. I kept up with wololo.com about everything in the PSP hacking scene. I stayed with them all the way up until the ps vita was released because I don't have one. And the whole 6.20 wasn't worked on because it wasn't need bit is a lie. The hackers worked very hard to get custom firmware for it and it was a good day when it finally was hacked. Right now the last firmware sony made for the PSP was 6.60. Fully hacked. I have had enough experience with that stuff that I can tell that you know nothing of it. Go somewhere else to call people liars that really aren't
You are totally true. I have also been following up with the psp hacks ever since 2008-2009 i believe and i gotta say it went really really far. its just amazing what can be done these days. i have no doubt about the gateway. im sure something could be done about higher firmware and all. it'll all work out inshallah. i too have had much experience with psps i have bricked 20 but fixed double. hacked my own psp 1000 and then expanded to hacking those for people who had higher firmware and could not from before. Hackscene just ingore what robo989. not just this but i also benefited ALOT from those experiences as that is when i first began knowing how to use computers in the first place. im just glad i did what i did :)

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are totally true. I have also been following up with the psp hacks ever since 208 or 1009 i believe and i gotta say it went really really far. its just amazing what can be done these days. i have no doubt about the gateway. im sure something could be done about higher firmware and all. it'll all work out inshallah. i too have had much experience with psps i have bricked 20 but fixed double. hacked my own psp 1000 and then expanded to hacking those for people who had higher firmware and could not from before. Hackscene just ingore what robo989. not just this but i also benefited ALOT from those experiences as that is when i first began knowing how to use computers in the first place. im just glad i did what i did :)
Damn, you've been following PSP hacks since 1009? (sorry, had to say it)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway may be able to support 6.2 in the future, but it may be able to support 6.3, 7.0, etc. in the future as well.

At the moment, no the highest game update is 5.1, and a few games require it.

If you really think they'll stop compatibility at 6.2, what you could do is turn on wifi, get the update to bug you, and then turn wifi off. You'll be stuck with it bugging you until you update, but that's the only guarantee of getting a 6.2 firmware. There may be no games that require 6.2. It may jump from 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.3/7.0. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to be able to play Gateway on a current firmware (at least for a long time), so I'd just stick with 4.5.

Unless you're an fool like me and accidentally updated before this major announcement ;)

Reactions: ßleck

HackScene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have faith in the GW team to make it compatible up until the first 6 firmware. I think Nintendo is too dedicated to stopping this that they will stop it at all costs. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

HackScene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How I wish I could have kind of faith when it comes to GW. B-)

XD lol. At least right now the GW isn't widely known, so people aren't taking advantage of the situation by over pricing their 3DSs on ebay or other selling sites. That might change after a few months of it's release though.

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XD lol. At least right now the GW isn't widely known, so people aren't taking advantage of the situation by over pricing their 3DSs on ebay or other selling sites. That might change after a few months of it's release though.
There are already people on this site who're trying to sell 2012- model 3DSes. Luckily, stores still carry them. At least for now. Get your 3DSes (for your personal entertainment, and not profit) now while you can!
$51 isn't exactly a high number. I have seen 3DSes sell for over $200, but that was even before Gateway.

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
There are already people on this site who're trying to sell 2012- model 3DSes. Luckily, stores still carry them. At least for now. Get your 3DSes (for your personal entertainment, and not profit) now while you can!

$51 isn't exactly a high number. I have seen 3DSes sell for over $200, but that was even before Gateway.

It's up for bid so who knows how much it'll go for.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the time the bidding ends it will be well over $170 especially because the shipping is free.
Yeah, but only idiots would buy it because of its firmware. I bought a new 3DSXL for $175 recently (albeit plus tax), and it had a GW-compatible firmware. Anyone who pays any attention whatsoever should know that they'd be better off sticking to stores, unless they can get a good deal on a secondhand from a friend or whatnot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!