Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I dont see them supporting firmware 5.X and above, what i do see, is removing all restriction based functions from 4.5 running consoles, to allow the equivalent.. Maybe even fix the online portion they broke, just cause they got there foot in the door at 4.5, doesn't mean they can open it for anything running higher, like has been said numerous times, the entry point they use is still there in 5.X-6.2, just no exploit to utilize it, they even mentioned there priority was a way of running higher fw games in 4.5

Kuraudo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I honestly .. never post? I'm a big lurker, but this is honestly .. really awesome.
Something that I had not expected from this device, I did order one. Because I wasn't really sure what the future had in store for us with this.

Now I'm quite happy, considering it'll allow me to purchase a Japanese 3DS XL (they get all the spiffy colors -_-) I'll be able to enjoy it in it's fullest.

idane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I dont see them supporting firmware 5.X and above, what i do see, is removing all restriction based functions from 4.5 running consoles, to allow the equivalent.. Maybe even fix the online portion they broke, just cause they got there foot in the door at 4.5, doesn't mean they can open it for anything running higher, like has been said numerous times, the entry point they use is still there in 5.X-6.2, just no exploit to utilize it, they even mentioned there priority was a way of running higher fw games in 4.5

Theoretically speaking, if the entry point is still there then it is still exploitable, then what is left is to develop an ROP exploit which will work with later builds. This isn't exactly a 5 minute task but it is quite doable.

Add to this the fact that a whole lot of people updated their 3DS before this came out - remember that 5.1's been around for quite a while, and it's very likely that they will in fact put effort towards getting this running on 5.1-6.2- it just makes good business sense.

The only question is if they really are here to stay or just want to make as much as they can and call it a day like many flash card manufacturers did.

I remember back in the N64 days I had a copier called the V64 which was pretty awesome for the time. It read ROMs from a CD drive and had a cart for saving data. When Nintendo switched save data tech, they created a new cart for saving games for that tech, and when Nintendo started making bigger carts (256mbit) they released an expansion for it.

This is what I want to see here - I want to see that they do everything they can to support their current and potential customers. If they support 5.1 (which my 3ds is currently at), I'll throw my money at them even if it does only load one game per SD card. If that comes in a future update - all the better but for now please let me give you money :)

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are mentioning reverse engineering the Gateway to allow a SD style hack. How come a flashcart was always needed to play DS games? Couldn't someone have simply reverse engineered one of the more popular DS cards, like Acekard, and not make a cart a necessity? Seems like if reverse engineering couldn't be done for a DS it wouldn't be done for a 3DS.

idane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
People are mentioning reverse engineering the Gateway to allow a SD style hack. How come a flashcart was always needed to play DS games? Couldn't someone have simply reverse engineered one of the more popular DS cards, like Acekard, and not make a cart a necessity? Seems like if reverse engineering couldn't be done for a DS it wouldn't be done for a 3DS.

Technically speaking this isn't true - the original ds had no sd card slot - only ds and gba slots. Therefore you couldn't modify it to load from and SD card simply because there was no slot.

If there's no slot, you need to create some sort of adapter - which is basically what flash cards are. And since we needed to use one anyway, might as well dump the hack on there rather than modify firmware which isn't supposed to get updated (again, in the original ds).

The 3ds already has an sd card slot. It already has the ability to play games off of that card. The only problem is that the games are signed and there's no way to get the keys unless either someone leaks them or if they did something dumb like sony did with the PS3.

However, you could theoretically find a way to run unencrypted games - this is probably possible already on dev consoles. This may be a bit unlikely as well though, as I think that Nintendo is using trustzone tech in the 3ds and if so, that's where they're doing all their crypto stuff and probably have the keys buried in the silicon and have efuses blown indicating that the device is in fact a production device.

Let's hope I'm wrong - softmods are always fun :)

Rainbowsixvegas6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why does gateway-3ds.com say:

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.
On their official support forum(ps3crunch) Gary said that their server is overloaded.
"Lucky for us, we were chatting online with the team over the weekend regarding all their amazing reviews, and they passed onto us this alpha news to post, as there is currently problem with their official server due to the overload on it. The team is hard at work on getting it back online for everyone to enjoy, but as you can see from this video they been really busy improving their amazing Gateway 3DS software."

tarayaba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ughh, now i regret updating to the latest so much.

get it working on 6.2, and i'll buy one just to play Monster Hunter 4.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And this is why... I am so happy to be an owner of 2 3DS.
One with new firmware and the other one for hacking purposes. YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!
However, still not getting it if there's no homebrew.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh wow!
Getting a gateway 3DS is looking very good atm...
The problem is, I'm worried about updating to later firmwares...

If it will be like the PSP, we will eventually need the later updates as the games require functions and etc. only in the later updates.
Not only that, but seeing the future seems to hold quite a lot for the 3DS in terms of future firmware updates I'm sure we'll want to update for the likes of miiverse and accounts.

However, no point in even buying it yet, as I'm on the latest update (The one that implemented streetpass relays)
I'll try not to update from now, I believe they said they think they can make it work on 6.2X, but after they think perhaps not...
Hoping we can enjoy future FW updates for 3DS though...

Also, I'm wondering do games support spotpass/streetpass features...? (I'm guessing so, but I havent heard any mention of it...)

Oh and also what about dlc?
Will you be able to buy dlc for games you have on the gateway card...?

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I'm wondering do games support spotpass/streetpass features...? (I'm guessing so, but I havent heard any mention of it...)

Oh and also what about dlc?
Will you be able to buy dlc for games you have on the gateway card...?

1) No. They wouldn't have online capabilities. It would be a HUGE cat and mouse game the gateway team doesn't want to play, since even IF they are able to keep up users could most definitely get banned.

2) Again, no online capatibilities. However, if you downloaded DLC BEFORE using gateway I'm not sure (since once you download DLC, they don't need you to be online to use them again, except MK7 but that was to fix an online bug).

"you mean I have to choose between online and hacks?"

- yes, that's how every scene is (at least until the end of the console's lifespan, eg I can go online with my hacked wii and no one cares anymore)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to sit this one out for now. I still think that CFW is a way better way to go, but if, after a while there is now other way, eventually ill purchase a gateway 3DS. Until then its time to study japanese like i have an exam tomorrow.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
1) No. They wouldn't have online capabilities. It would be a HUGE cat and mouse game the gateway team doesn't want to play, since even IF they are able to keep up users could most definitely get banned.

2) Again, no online capatibilities. However, if you downloaded DLC BEFORE using gateway I'm not sure (since once you download DLC, they don't need you to be online to use them again, except MK7 but that was to fix an online bug).

"you mean I have to choose between online and hacks?"

- yes, that's how every scene is (at least until the end of the console's lifespan, eg I can go online with my hacked wii and no one cares anymore)

Not for me, ha ha. I was online with a hacked wii from near the beginning really. I just dont cheat online, as should all people follow really, those people should be kicked off.
Put me off getting a gateway kinda...
Well for games I only plan on playing offline perhaps.

EDIT: Wait... you make it sound like it wont be a cat and mouse game already...
What if a game comes out that requires certain functions from a later firmware...

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Only 1 game has firmware needs higher than 4.5 atm, and they played it, Mario & Luigi - Dream Team Bros was the first game to force 5.1, so they where spoofing probably to 5.1 or 6.2..

Seems to be going the way of ps3, a base firmware, but once you are in you are in, with spoofing since its the actual 3ds doing it, i dont see this being a problem as you arent gonna update past 4.5, and should be able to spoof fine higher firmwares.. if anything progression is good....

Agree.the future of 3ds cracking will be most likely familiar with the ps3.based on a key ver of OFW(atm 4.5),then manage to find some way(crack the game or develop new CFW) to play new things.
so the key is stick to 4.5,never update,since most above 6.2 will be very difficult to develop,just like ps3,any machine above 3.55 is useless if you want a crack.

elMagnate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Point at them. Point at them and laugh. http://forum.supercard.sc/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=11398
[URL='http://forum.supercard.sc/space-uid-14468.html']Wcanywayz[/URL] from Supercard Forums said:
The gateway will fail.
Nintendo just needs to patch the exploit once and the cart is 10000% useless.

Since it uses an exploit that is not replaceable it can only work till patched.
It's not like the rom carts for the ds.... They patch DS rom carts with dldi and make it a legal battle.

The Gateway will be illegal cause it doesnt offer homebrew.
Nintendo will sue anyone with the balls to sell a 100% pirate cart.
It's not used for homebrew and only able to carry 1 game on the sd cart at a time.
So its not about backing up 3ds titles using this cart ... piracy is the only reason ...
It wont last.

Also ... for the love of god ..
ppl, read the forum topics .. this is not the 1st topic made for 1 damn thing....
give it a break or reply on the other topics instead of making new ones.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huh, I figured they would focus on adding 6.x support first.
I can't really tell what region the 3DSes shown are, so it could potentially be fake, but I trust the Gateway team.
Great news though, wasn't expecting those features so quickly, certainly not region free. :D
It just needs a 6.x update now and I'll get one in a heartbeat. Still hoping they add a loader GUI though, would make it perfect.

This is awesome, hopefully there work on a muti-rom loading UI, then it a perfeat flashcard + I hope pokemon works on it. Still worried that if I buy one, a free solution will be available and it will become a paper weight (just like the dongle's for ps3).

Also I wonder if this will make nintendo make the 3ds finally region free with a firmware update.

Also I can download any region roms now :)
I doubt it. The Wii is still region locked.

Haha, talking about patching rom carts with DLDI.
What's stopping people from simply not updating if they want to use the cart?
He's right that Nintendo will be going after the sellers of the Gateway 3DS though. And the factories and creators if they can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo