Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was playing pokémon yellow and the emulator simply started loading an older save.
I had already not only saved, but also loaded from a further point of what I'm now.
Anyone has an idea what might have happened?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was playing pokémon yellow and the emulator simply started loading an older save.
I had already not only saved, but also loaded from a further point of what I'm now.
Anyone has an idea what might have happened?

- Do you use save states/suspending?
- Is autosaving enabled?
- (If not) When you loaded your "further progress" file earlier, was it after selecting "reset"? Or was it after exiting and reloading the rom?
(selecting "reset" will not copy the updated save file to the sd card.)

The only way that could have happened is through some kind of user error. When autosaving is disabled, the saving process can be confusing.

Urfatuglymother

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to this so I don't really understand how this works. Do I just put your emulator on a flash cart on then plug in and play, or do I need a custom firmware?

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, Drenn, have you fixed that one problem we emailed about? Where when you use NiFi and you save, it doesn't actually save? This can cause a loss of data with pokemon, I was hoping that inserting and reinserting would still allow the the game to save.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yeah, Drenn, have you fixed that one problem we emailed about? Where when you use NiFi and you save, it doesn't actually save? This can cause a loss of data with pokemon, I was hoping that inserting and reinserting would still allow the the game to save.

No I haven't, currently the best solution is to use 2 flashcarts... I mean, when you have to physically remove the cart while the game is playing, of course that's going to cause problems when it's time to save.
I'm new to this so I don't really understand how this works. Do I just put your emulator on a flash cart on then plug in and play, or do I need a custom firmware?

Well it depends on the flashcart and etc. Mostly you can just put the emulator & roms onto the flashcart, and start it up and it'll work. Some flashcarts have custom firmware, like AKAIO for the AK2i (but don't get an AK2i unless you're using a ds phat or lite). I'm sure there are tutorials around for specific flashcarts.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- Do you use save states/suspending?
- Is autosaving enabled?
- (If not) When you loaded your "further progress" file earlier, was it after selecting "reset"? Or was it after exiting and reloading the rom?
(selecting "reset" will not copy the updated save file to the sd card.)

The only way that could have happened is through some kind of user error. When autosaving is disabled, the saving process can be confusing.

That explains a lot, thanks :)
I used the reset option and did not have autosave enabled.
Game is saving fine right now, thanks

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's not dead! Honest! I just don't have near-infinite spare time anymore. I actually worked on the UI a bit over the weekend. It's staying text-based, but I can at least pretty it up with colors and stuff... I also want it to run in parallel with the game. This isn't in the repository yet, the "run in parallel" thing needs to be ironed out.
hello there Drenn
i was wondering if you could add screenshot
like tempgba and catsfc
but i do understand if you don't want too ^_^

Missed this comment somehow. I suppose I could, but it'd probably be uncompressed.

StruttingPhil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least it is open-source! Thank Drenn for that blessing! :D

No joke! This thing represents a lot of work, and a lot of people appreciate what Drienn and the handful of others have done. We need Lemonboy to revisit this a little and update how it handles the HuC3 emulation, mostly how it emulates the battery the Robopon games had.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does exit without saving at least save the sram? It doesn't seem to be doing that for me. I don't really want to save and exit as writing a savestate is very unreliable and can cause the emu to freeze. File writing functions have always been somewhat broken with my flashcart. I tried formatting my sd card and it got better for a while but now its not working well anymore.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does exit without saving at least save the sram? It doesn't seem to be doing that for me. I don't really want to save and exit as writing a savestate is very unreliable and can cause the emu to freeze. File writing functions have always been somewhat broken with my flashcart. I tried formatting my sd card and it got better for a while but now its not working well anymore.

No you're misunderstanding. "Exit without saving" doesn't copy the sram. "Save & Exit" copies the sram. "Suspend" copies the sram and makes a save state.
I'd highly recommend autosaving for the games it works well with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1