Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Posted this some pages ago: There seems to be a small dissonance (as of v4.1) between channel 3 and the others. It's very noticeable in Pop-Up's theme, and less but still noticeable in DKC map screen. Any ideas?
Maybe your ears are more sensitive than mine, but I don't detect any problem in either DKC or Pop-Up... so I'm not sure what to say to that. I was testing between bgb and gameyob v0.4.1.

Edit: What system are you using? It's unlikely that would make a difference, but, might as well check.

Edit Edit: Okay, I think I hear it after repeatedly switching between listening to channels 2 and 3. Channel 3's pitch seems to dip a tad lower. I would never have noticed that without checking them individually.

Reactions: PinkRabbit

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just pushed an update, with more improvements to autosaving. However, it occured to me that people with different flashcards will have different results (because of different dldi implementations). I don't know if the lag issues I had before were unique to the Acekard 2i or not, but regardless - more info would be helpful.

For those reading this, if you have a few minutes to spare, please post your results with autosaving enabled, with the newest build as of today (preferably while playing pokemon, or other large-SRAM games). I'd like to know how often you experience lag, if at all, and what flashcard you're using.
With autosaving on, the pokemon games are prone to lag when starting a battle. This may or may not be fixed now.

Also are you able to make the game think the battery has run dry or so?
Because that would be really handy to set the clock at the beginning. Because now the time is way of because of no RTC.
About that... upon closer inspection, there was a bug with autosaving + RTC if there was no previous save file. This now fixed.

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

PinkRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe your ears are more sensitive than mine, but I don't detect any problem in either DKC or Pop-Up... so I'm not sure what to say to that. I was testing between bgb and gameyob v0.4.1.

Edit: What system are you using? It's unlikely that would make a difference, but, might as well check.

Edit Edit: Okay, I think I hear it after repeatedly switching between listening to channels 2 and 3. Channel 3's pitch seems to dip a tad lower. I would never have noticed that without checking them individually.

I'm using Nintendo DS Lite with WoodR4 firmware, GameYob version 4.1 stable, DS speakers. And yeah, that's it, channel 3 is slightly lower, compared to ch. 1&2 and to BGB. I actually think it's easier to notice when the two play together, haha, sounds like there's a "creepy" effect applied to the song's intro. It's easier to spot this without headphones, actually, since each channel plays in a different ear.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's your problem, you're using v0.4.1 instead of a newer build.
Mine says "GameYob v0.4.1-65-g11da". That is, I've made 65 commits (changes) since v0.4.1.
Please try with the newest build.

That would be a game-specific hack, which I'm not very keen on. But, Pokemon Gold/Silver have a built-in way of changing the time. In Pokemon Crystal, it can be unlocked with a gameshark code. See here.

Edit: Whaddaya mean there's no RTC? The clock does work. Are you using a 3ds by chance?

Currently I'm leaving the borders separate from gameyob, whoever wants them can download them from the first post.
If you mean they could be defaults, well, I'll think about it.

-Yea using Dstwo on a 3DS.
-Ah thanks for the link. I thought this (http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emulators/download-gameyob-041-f32181.html) was the latest build, because it said newest version.

EDIT:
tested with the latest build you provided.
Issue is still there.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's your problem, you're using v0.4.1 instead of a newer build.

That would be a game-specific hack, which I'm not very keen on. But, Pokemon Gold/Silver have a built-in way of changing the time. In Pokemon Crystal, it can be unlocked with a gameshark code. See here.

Edit: Whaddaya mean there's no RTC? The clock does work. Are you using a 3ds by chance?
With my DSTWO on a 3DS XL, I'm still having issues with writing freezing the entire emulator. Save files work a bit better now (especially with warioland 3), but writing the config and savestates will usually cause a freeze. Writing works fine after a fresh install of the .nds file and after an sd card format (don't want to do either too often). Maybe the RTC issue is related?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With my DSTWO on a 3DS XL, I'm still having issues with writing freezing the entire emulator. Save files work a bit better now (especially with warioland 3), but writing the config and savestates will usually cause a freeze. Writing works fine after a fresh install of the .nds file and after an sd card format (don't want to do either too often). Maybe the RTC issue is related?
I dunno, I've experienced problems with read/write before, where reformatting fixed the problem. I've only had to do it once or twice. I think the problem is with the SD card, rather than gameyob.
As for RTC, I noticed and fixed a bug where the clock was not always properly saved. This should be fixed. Another possibility is that the clock just doesn't work on 3ds's. This was a problem before, but I believe it was fixed. If the rtc STILL isn't working, please let me know.
-Yea using Dstwo on a 3DS.
-Ah thanks for the link. I thought this (http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emulators/download-gameyob-041-f32181.html) was the latest build, because it said newest version.

EDIT:
tested with the latest build you provided.
Issue is still there.
Okay. Looking over it again, I saw a potential flaw in my supposed fix. I've remedied this. Could you please try again, testing using the X button to save?

BTW, if nobody feels like doing some quick testing for the autosaving feature (as I mentioned above) I'll just assume it's working okay. Once I fix this bug vree's having, that is.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for keeping up to date this fantastic emulator, I just tested a few problematic roms with your latest build (v0.4.1-78) and I can confirm that "The Smurfs" game is now working. About the clock on the 3DS/XL is working too, RTC is working good.

0Z24eeL.jpg
Gw2jDUm.jpg

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for keeping up to date this fantastic emulator, I just tested a few problematic roms with your latest build (v0.4.1-78) and I can confirm that "The Smurfs" game is now working. About the clock on the 3DS/XL is working too, RTC is working good.

0Z24eeL.jpg
Gw2jDUm.jpg

This "v0.4.1-78" is the latest?
I just got one dated for 10-26-2013.
http://www.emucr.com/2013/10/gameyob-git-20131026.html

I'm assuming that is the latest version and same one you're referencing?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A quick google search led me to bgb's changelog which told me exactly what to do to fix the smurfs. And, thanks for confirming about the RTC.
This "v0.4.1-78" is the latest?
I just got one dated for 10-26-2013.
http://www.emucr.com/2013/10/gameyob-git-20131026.html

I'm assuming that is the latest version and same one you're referencing?
I fixed the smurfs just a few days ago. That snapshot isn't quite new enough. For the absolute-latest build you should use my dropbox link.
So as far as emulators in DS mode go, how does this one fare? I've no doubt it's very good, I was merely curious as I will most likely get a SCDS2 sometime this year :P
Personally, I think it's awesome :P however, v0.4.1 wasn't very thoroughly tested and it came with a number of bugs. I won't make that mistake again, I hope.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick google search led me to bgb's changelog which told me exactly what to do to fix the smurfs. And, thanks for confirming about the RTC.

I fixed the smurfs just a few days ago. That snapshot isn't quite new enough. For the absolute-latest build you should use my dropbox link.

Personally, I think it's awesome :P however, v0.4.1 wasn't very thoroughly tested and it came with a number of bugs. I won't make that mistake again, I hope.

So what version do you recommend if 0.41 isn't thoroughly tested?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point the newest build works best, but really, I should get the next version out because the sheer number of bugs I've had to fix since then is getting embarassing.

Whoops, I should have realized that you're the person maintaining it :P Sorry about that! Keep up the good work!

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country

I hope you do the same mistake again :) (don't get me wrong).
You shouldn't extensively test the emulator (since by now it has already been extensively tested by you and the community, each new version doesn't start from scratch).
You get more time for bug fixing (and other stuff) and IMO the emulator will get better faster.

Keep the good work ;)
Great job

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Oh God no :ohnoes: +1