Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you're misunderstanding. "Exit without saving" doesn't copy the sram. "Save & Exit" copies the sram. "Suspend" copies the sram and makes a save state.
I'd highly recommend autosaving for the games it works well with.
Helps a bit but write operations lock up the system most of the time. This is the only emu with this problem. Edit: redownloaded the binary and it seems a bit more reliable.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've just pushed an update, with improvements to the menu system. Like I said before, it's still text based. Now it has some colors, it disables options as necessary, and it doesn't pause the game while it's opened. Also, some miscellaneous bugfixes. No new features.
Helps a bit but write operations lock up the system most of the time. This is the only emu with this problem. Edit: redownloaded the binary and it seems a bit more reliable.
So basically, you can't save without risking the program locking up? I dunno what I can do about that...

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow Drenn, you still working on this ? I thought you've been extremely busy lately and I'm pleasantly surprised that you found the time to push another update, even if it's a minor one !
Thank you again for the awesome work ;)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow Drenn, you still working on this ? I thought you've been extremely busy lately and I'm pleasantly surprised that you found the time to push another update, even if it's a minor one !
Thank you again for the awesome work ;)

Well, I'm busier than I used to be. I needed to adjust to the workload, but weekends have been good times to work on gameyob.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for making this awesome emulator! Just tried it and works great so far using DSTwo. Haven't tried saving yet but will report any problems I may find.

Also, props for being a fellow Canadian. B-)

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi just played the version 0.4.1-42-gc2c0 and work fine, the gameboy game TENNIS.gb works great with no bug in pallets, in Resident Evil Gaiden.gbc now its possible to listen when the zombies moan.

I tested with full screen size, no pallets bugs I saw at the moment with games that I played.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've just pushed an update, with improvements to the menu system. Like I said before, it's still text based. Now it has some colors, it disables options as necessary, and it doesn't pause the game while it's opened. Also, some miscellaneous bugfixes. No new features.

So basically, you can't save without risking the program locking up? I dunno what I can do about that...
Man, this is the update I always freaking asked for (literally)! You're a champ, seriously. Thanks for still working hard on this gem of an emulator. It's great to see it so stable.

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Man, this is the update I always freaking asked for (literally)! You're a champ, seriously. Thanks for still working hard on this gem of an emulator. It's great to see it so stable.
Yea searously, this is awesome. Way to keep the DS-Homebrew Scene Alive!

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Davi

~
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
daviandrade.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I've made some custom borders for GameYob.

Preview:
QClsRPK.jpg

You can only see half of the Game Boy logo because I'm using the correct proportions.
In case anyone is interested, you can download them here: http://cl.ly/RveD

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In pokémon gold my sound random freezes. When I go to the emulator menu and back ingame it's fixed.

Any ideas on how to permanently stop this from happening???

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In pokémon gold my sound random freezes. When I go to the emulator menu and back ingame it's fixed.

Any ideas on how to permanently stop this from happening???
hmrhkrehkmmmsoundhkremrm...

Ok, first, I'd suggest you use the latest build if you aren't already, instead of v0.4.1. Which are you using now? (You can check with the "version info" option.)
Second, are scaling and autosaving enabled?
Third, just when does this happen? I'm thinking, maybe it happens when you're starting a battle, or on the file screen...

I'm asking these questions because I'm hoping to lump this under issue 105, which I supposedly fixed.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hmrhkrehkmmmsoundhkremrm...

Ok, first, I'd suggest you use the latest build if you aren't already, instead of v0.4.1. Which are you using now? (You can check with the "version info" option.)
Second, are scaling and autosaving enabled?
Third, just when does this happen? I'm thinking, maybe it happens when you're starting a battle, or on the file screen...

I'm asking these questions because I'm hoping to lump this under issue 105, which I supposedly fixed.

Yes I'm using the latest version. It always happens when I start a battle.
But it does seem that if I dissable the autosave and don't use "X" to sram save it doesn't happen.

Now I just have to remember to save and exit.

Reactions: Drenn

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes I'm using the latest version. It always happens when I start a battle.
But it does seem that if I dissable the autosave and don't use "X" to sram save it doesn't happen.

Now I just have to remember to save and exit.
K, but please don't settle for that, I'd like to fix this.
I'd still like to see the output of "Version Info", in the debug submenu, just to make sure it's up-to-date with what I had. If you downloaded it just yesterday, then it most probably is.
And, is scaling on? Does leaving scaling off, but autosaving on, also fix the problem? canadacdn had a similar problem which occured only when both scaling and autosaving were enabled.

As you may have guessed I can't duplicate this, but you're the second person to mention this kind of problem.

I've just pushed an update, it might prevent the issue with pressing X to save, but I'd still appreciate it if you answer those questions.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
K, but please don't settle for that, I'd like to fix this.
I'd still like to see the output of "Version Info", in the debug submenu, just to make sure it's up-to-date with what I had. If you downloaded it just yesterday, then it most probably is.
And, is scaling on? Does leaving scaling off, but autosaving on, also fix the problem? canadacdn had a similar problem which occured only when both scaling and autosaving were enabled.

As you may have guessed I can't duplicate this, but you're the second person to mention this kind of problem.

I've just pushed an update, it might prevent the issue with pressing X to save, but I'd still appreciate it if you answer those questions.

Ok no problem

Debug/version info: v0.4.1
ROM info:
Rom title: "POKEMON_GLDAAUE"
Cartridge type: 1° (MBC3)
ROM SIZE: 06 (128 banks)
RAM SIZE: 03 (4 banks)

Autosave on
Scalling on
=random sound freeze when entering battles or when pressing X

autosave off
scalling on
=issues stops, but will have to remember to save and exit

autosave on
scalling off
=no issues

So yea turning of the scaling seems to fix it.
But I don't like to play without scaling, so won't be doing that :P

Also are you able to make the game think the battery has run dry or so?
Because that would be really handy to set the clock at the beginning. Because now the time is way of because of no RTC.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey Drenn, why don't you add the borders from Davi to the next GameYob version?
They're pretty cool and I think everybody would like it.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Debug/version info: v0.4.1
There's your problem, you're using v0.4.1 instead of a newer build.
Mine says "GameYob v0.4.1-65-g11da". That is, I've made 65 commits (changes) since v0.4.1.
Please try with the newest build.

Also are you able to make the game think the battery has run dry or so?
Because that would be really handy to set the clock at the beginning. Because now the time is way of because of no RTC.
That would be a game-specific hack, which I'm not very keen on. But, Pokemon Gold/Silver have a built-in way of changing the time. In Pokemon Crystal, it can be unlocked with a gameshark code. See here.

Edit: Whaddaya mean there's no RTC? The clock does work. Are you using a 3ds by chance?

Hey Drenn, why don't you add the borders from Davi to the next GameYob version?
They're pretty cool and I think everybody would like it.
Currently I'm leaving the borders separate from gameyob, whoever wants them can download them from the first post.
If you mean they could be defaults, well, I'll think about it.

PinkRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Posted this some pages ago: There seems to be a small dissonance (as of v4.1) between channel 3 and the others. It's very noticeable in Pop-Up's theme, and less but still noticeable in DKC map screen. Any ideas?

Reactions: Drenn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.