Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe we need to try contact with Nutki (lameboy author) for sources? His blog: http://lameboy.nutki.com/

That has been tried many times already.

One of the main reasons Gameyob is in active development, is because lameboy sources were never released, and none of the coders of the nutki group ever responded to contact. They practically vanished from the scene.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Why not? Savestate its omly ram dump (if i correctly understend it).
For example gpSP has same SS format with VBA. But i dont know is VBA opensource or not.
Maybe we need to try contact with Nutki (lameboy author) for sources? His blog: http://lameboy.nutki.com
Like Geren said, many people have tried and he simply doesn't respond...

Except for this semi-recent post:
http://lameboy.nutki.com/?p=24&cpage=10#comment-53760

Yea, basically he's an asshole and will never release it.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like Geren said, many people have tried and he simply doesn't respond...

Except for this semi-recent post:
http://lameboy.nutki.com/?p=24&cpage=10#comment-53760

Yea, basically he's an asshole and will never release it.
You sure that's the real Nutki? He looks like a troll to me, you can put your name down as anything in the comments. So yeah, he seems to have completely disappeared.

And compatibility with Lameboy save states... not happening. States are a bit more complicated than just a ram dump. They also contain information about the cpu as well as the hardware state, which is usually very emulator-specific in its format.

Reactions: Snailface

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
How's the new T-rex FPS prototype working?
Its all garbled, like an nes game that needs a blow job. :P
I tried to adjust the debug settings to no avail.

I would advise any dev not to try to waste any time getting this to work, the game doesn't look like any fun at all.

Reactions: loco365

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I would advise any dev not to try to waste any time getting this to work, the game doesn't look like any fun at all.

But getting it to work would make it far more accurate in emulation besides what doesn't look fun to you doesn't mean it is no fun for anyone and myself personally I would love to see it running

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But getting it to work would make it far more accurate in emulation besides what doesn't look fun to you doesn't mean it is no fun for anyone and myself personally I would love to see it running
At this point, it may be more fruitful to do the reverse. Because the core is mature, it would be better to get the rest of the core to behave correctly so that some esoteric* games work properly, instead of getting some esoteric* games to work properly so that the core behaves correctly. Using "corner case tests" like Gambatte's, as well as Blargg's CPU tests, would indirectly help figure out what's wrong with the games.

Gambatte's 10-sprites-per-line limit tests are failing hard on GameYob, which may indicate some form of dependency on 10-sprites-per-line in some games that currently look garbled.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
* esoteric = using uncommon CPU/graphics/audio features

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for working on a DSi version, Drenn!
Just tried it out via my XL, and from a quick play Shantae ran at a steady 60fps with sound!

edit: got a guru error at the end of the first level

Wait a minute......
I've got a " Sudokuhax'd " DSiXL and as of the latest build, I still don't get any sound !
How did you get the sound ? Are you running it on a flashcart in DS mode or did you run it from the SD card via sudokuhax ?
What else do you have on your card ? :unsure:

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait a minute......
I've got a " Sudokuhax'd " DSiXL and as of the latest build, I still don't get any sound !
How did you get the sound ? Are you running it on a flashcart in DS mode or did you run it from the SD card via sudokuhax ?
What else do you have on your card ? :unsure:
That's weird, Matando also said that he had sound working... he uses sudokuhax.
Thanks for working on a DSi version, Drenn!
Just tried it out via my Sudokuhax'd XL, and from a quick play Shantae ran at a steady 60fps with sound!

edit: got a guru error at the end of the first level
It looks like dsi-mode is still rather unstable in some cases. Next time you get a guru error can you tell me the value of "pc" and the exact version number? (it should be visible from the flashcard's menu.)
I don't know if either of you were using the dsitest branch, but it should be working just as well in master now. (which is what the "latest build" comes from.)

Reactions: Matando

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i was using the dsi test branch via SD card. i'll try out the main one right now and give the 'pc' error I get.

edit: installed the latest build and there was no guru error at the level switch!
Nice work, i must say =D
Hmmm...this is strange.
Now that I think about it, I can't get the homebrew channel to work anymore, when I boot it, it freezes on the file selection screen.
Also I redownloaded the latest gamyob build, I renamed it boot.nds and placed in on the root of a different SD card ( I though the old one had some fragmentation problems or too many folders ) and still, I can boot it fine, I can select the games ( most of which run fine ) but still no audio....I also tried disabling and re enabling sound but still no luck.

I'm on 1.4.1 U , could it be that I need to update my DSiXL to a newer firmware ? I was afraid I was gonna lose the sudokuhax but I asked elsewhere on the forums some time ago and I've been told that by updating , you only lose the ability to install the hax, but if you already have it it should be fine.

Any thoughts ?:unsure:

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Do you mean, that it works at all? When the bios is off, all it does for me is flash leftover tiles from the last game on the screen. It doesn't run in bgb either.

At this point, it may be more fruitful to do the reverse. Because the core is mature, it would be better to get the rest of the core to behave correctly so that some esoteric* games work properly, instead of getting some esoteric* games to work properly so that the core behaves correctly. Using "corner case tests" like Gambatte's, as well as Blargg's CPU tests, would indirectly help figure out what's wrong with the games.

Gambatte's 10-sprites-per-line limit tests are failing hard on GameYob, which may indicate some form of dependency on 10-sprites-per-line in some games that currently look garbled.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
* esoteric = using uncommon CPU/graphics/audio features
I can think of a more likely reason why some games have garbled sprites, mid-frame changes to tiles don't work properly. The new graphics engine will support this, if I can make it run fast enough... and I'll give it the 10-sprites-per-line limit also.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
...I'm on 1.4.1 U , could it be that I need to update my DSiXL to a newer firmware ? I was afraid I was gonna lose the sudokuhax but I asked elsewhere on the forums some time ago and I've been told that by updating , you only lose the ability to install the hax, but if you already have it it should be fine.

Any thoughts ?:unsure:

My sys is at 1.4.5u with Sudokuhax v1.0 still working fine, but i dont see any reason you should update. Im using HBmenu as a launcher for nds files.
Maybe try a fresh sd format, or a different Shantae dump.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yep, It's silly but the problem was with my SD card.
I formatted it with the SD formatter ( size adjustment on ) , and now the homebrew channel works again, and I've got the audio working in Gameyob !!
Hurrah !!!

Reactions: Snailface

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yesterday I made it possible to save settings so they're remembered even after exiting gameyob. Now that preferences can be saved, I've made buttons 100% remappable. I also implemented autofire buttons. You can modify the config either within gameyob or by editing "gameyob.ini" in the sd card's root directory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was one of the last production runs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm debating on rp4 pro or xreals atm
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    my 3DS has seen some shit ITS KINDA bad assssss lmao its all fucked up on the shell but hardware is perfect so it kinda goes hard
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh shit, I don't know if I've ever seen that galaxy 3DS. THat's cool as hell, wish I had one
    @HiradeGirl Nice sounds super chill <3
    lemme find a pic
    its so goofd
    good*
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Either the snes or galaxy one I had my eye on use to have a Zelda ds xl but traded it like ten years ago for Wii u had I known what Nintendo would've done with it never would've made the deal
    look at that fucking thing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can buy a shell for the galaxy but probably a clone
    +1
    reshelling a 3ds sounds so so so so so so painful tbh
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's what I hate about youtube oh look how easy I make this look stfu it's painful
    +1
    LMAOOOOO like STFU John the youtuber guy
    I know you suffered replacing this
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @PandaPandel, OG 3DS is -not- fun to put back together, and that's coming from someone who at the time was pretty familiar with reassembling DS Lites. Total pain in the ass, and screws of varying length that'll poke through the face surface of the bottom half of the shell if you put the wrong screw in the wrong spot. Totally not talking from experience there, nope
    the HINGES are what made me never want to open mine up
    Like oh my god
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ribbon cables are so fragile you can snap the black lock down piece and be sol
    +1
    I would break mine so fast lmao im way too much of a bimbo for that deadass no way
    look at my 3ds one sec
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just replacing the back isn't that painful not sure about the upper back piece
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shorted a ps3 cleaning the insides, butchered a few og Xbox and what not
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I had only taken mine apart far enough to rplace the circle pad in it and it was such a pain to put back together
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I had only taken mine apart far enough to rplace the circle pad in it and it was such a pain to...