Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

D

Deleted User

Any chance you could fix Bubsy 2 and Bomb Jack please? All that appears when booting Bubsy 2 is a white screen and Bomb Jack boots to the logo and the main theme and you can do nothing else afterwards. Thanks.
Added to the compatibility list for when I can get around to it.

I've made a slight update to GameYob. Reads and writes to unmapped memory shouldn't cause the 3DS to lock up anymore. Instead, it'll print out error messages if you have debug printing enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=0

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Smurfs should be fixed now. FIFA 2000 will have an odd flashing white line at the top of the screen for now, but it isn't that big of an issue.

Smurfs are working again, thank you so much. The white line in Fifa 200 really isn't a big issue! It is only a cosmetic problem ;)
The graphical issue in "The Smurfs" at the final boss level remains as well. This issue isn't a big problem as well, of course. If you want to take a look at it, I attached a save state. The state will load the final level immediately, then you can see what I mean.
Thank you so much for your superb work with this emulator!!

Attachments

• The Smurfs.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 121

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Somehow, my N3DS keeps on crashing on the latest build when scrolling through the rom list. It happens when getting on the 51th rom. it just crashes and have to force power down the device :(
And I was so happy to test Volley Fire..... ugh.. hahah

Anyway I put Volley Fire in a different directory to test. The rocks indeed move! But the screen is a but glitchy on the part where the rocks move.

Edit: Somehow, Amazing Tater crashes right after the GB BIOS screen.
But it works when the BIOS is turned off... what ???!
Same goes for Castlevania 2, Mega Man, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5.

Last edited by HtheB,
D

Deleted User

Smurfs are working again, thank you so much. The white line in Fifa 200 really isn't a big issue! It is only a cosmetic problem ;)
The graphical issue in "The Smurfs" at the final boss level remains as well. This issue isn't a big problem as well, of course. If you want to take a look at it, I attached a save state. The state will load the final level immediately, then you can see what I mean.
Thank you so much for your superb work with this emulator!!
The graphical issues with The Smurfs are rather interesting... it seems to not be drawing the background to the middle few lines at all, leading to overlap with the previous frame.

EDIT: Got it mostly figured out, was an issue with a check for window drawing. There's still a flash of random tiles after the Act 12 screen, but the actual graphical issues in the boss level are fixed. Will be in the next update.
Somehow, my N3DS keeps on crashing on the latest build when scrolling through the rom list. It happens when getting on the 51th rom. it just crashes and have to force power down the device :(
And I was so happy to test Volley Fire..... ugh.. hahah

Anyway I put Volley Fire in a different directory to test. The rocks indeed move! But the screen is a but glitchy on the part where the rocks move.

Edit: Somehow, Amazing Tater crashes right after the GB BIOS screen.
But it works when the BIOS is turned off... what ???!
Same goes for Castlevania 2, Mega Man, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5.
I'll look into it when I get the chance.

EDIT: Here's an update with The Smurfs' graphical issues fixed. Also, @HtheB, I'm unable to reproduce either of your issues, at least not with this build.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: HtheB and DjoeN

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks so much SteveIce. Smurfs' graphical issues are fixed completely.
Did you have a chance to look into the white box problem with Donkey Kong already?? One of the last problems I have with this emulator ;) Of course that's also not a big problem as it doesn't affect gameplay, but I would really be thankful if you could check it out once you find a bit of time ;)

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hmm... I installed the latest .cia version and no game seems to work with it, all I'm getting is an alternating black and white screen : /
Really weird, worked perfectly before that build.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also... the paddle on Alleyway is stuck on the left and it doesn't move at all.
There are games like Alleyway and Volley Fire don't work properly.
Both have the same issue: objects that should move horizontal, are not moving at all....
Alright, figured Alleyway out. In GameYob open the [Gameboy] and set GB Printer to off. You can Save Settings on the [GameYob] menu so it won't be an issue in the future.

The graphical issues with The Smurfs are rather interesting... it seems to not be drawing the background to the middle few lines at all, leading to overlap with the previous frame.

EDIT: Got it mostly figured out, was an issue with a check for window drawing. There's still a flash of random tiles after the Act 12 screen, but the actual graphical issues in the boss level are fixed. Will be in the next update.

I'll look into it when I get the chance.

EDIT: Here's an update with The Smurfs' graphical issues fixed. Also, @HtheB, I'm unable to reproduce either of your issues, at least not with this build.

The Alleyway bug is a bug in the game, if the gameboy printer is connected, the serial connection sends back a value the game doesn't expect. The only change I would recommend is to not have the gameboy printer plugged in by default. I have no idea why it was reading the serial port, but other games might be making that mistake.

Reactions: VinsCool
D

Deleted User

What does adding a bios file do?
I've only tried a few games, but they seem to work fine without one
It's just for show at this point. Some people like to have the startup screen play before games like on a real GameBoy.
Hmm... I installed the latest .cia version and no game seems to work with it, all I'm getting is an alternating black and white screen : /
Really weird, worked perfectly before that build.
Have you tried restarting your 3DS? I've had that once before after installing a build.
Alright, figured Alleyway out. In GameYob open the [Gameboy] and set GB Printer to off. You can Save Settings on the [GameYob] menu so it won't be an issue in the future.

The Alleyway bug is a bug in the game, if the gameboy printer is connected, the serial connection sends back a value the game doesn't expect. The only change I would recommend is to not have the gameboy printer plugged in by default. I have no idea why it was reading the serial port, but other games might be making that mistake.
That's... a really interesting issue. I'll try to find the best way to work around it. I'll probably end up just force-disabling the printer when running Alleyway.

Reactions: VinsCool

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Alright, I'll look into it. What firmware version, and are there any other details I should know about your setup?
Nothing in particular. I'm on an O3DS, with 9.9.0 emuNAND, booting it through Gateway. Just like always.
Plus, the older build was working fine, and damn, I didn't keep a backup of it.

D

Deleted User

Nothing in particular. I'm on an O3DS, with 9.9.0 emuNAND, booting it through Gateway. Just like always.
Plus, the older build was working fine, and damn, I didn't keep a backup of it.
Working fine for me with the same setup. Have you tried deleting your gameyob.ini, and have you tried the build from just now?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wonder what happens when someone has a gameboy player plugged in and attempts to run alleyway on an actual gameboy. If i can find my gbc link cable, I will try it using a GBC flash cart (either my Everdrive GB or my Drag n' Derp cart).

D

Deleted User

Errr... Where's the .ini file stored when using the .cia version?
I don't see an .ini on my SD.
There won't be one if you've never saved settings in GameYob. In that case, deleting it won't be necessary. However, have you tried the build from just now? Does the issue still occur?

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There won't be one if you've never saved settings in GameYob. In that case, deleting it won't be necessary. However, have you tried the build from just now? Does the issue still occur?
Yep...

Do you happen to have the build before those very recent changes so that I can confirm if something went wrong with my setup or with the application itself?

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep...

Do you happen to have the build before those very recent changes so that I can confirm if something went wrong with my setup or with the application itself?

I just reproduced the crash on both my new3DS and old3ds with both the CIA and the 3dsx.

It seems to be a bad build, @Steveice10 are you sure your setup is the same as you release?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Psi in real life: