Gamers start campaign to end Wii U/3DS region locking.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 17,004
  • Replies 186
  • Likes 15

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
360 is Region free for most of the games (Japanese games being an exception)
PS3 is region free, PSVita region free? PSP region free?
DS is region free, GBA also iirc...

I also hardly imported games, I'd love to import some games tho.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more concerned about Nintendo's software DRM, where digital software is tied to the console and non-transferable. Why can't they make it so you can move software to external storage and back and forth, but not copy it? Then software can't get duplicated.
Professor Layton x Ace Attorney yo
That sounds like a f***ing nightmare for somebody who doesn't speak Japanese fluently.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm more concerned about Nintendo's software DRM, where digital software is tied to the console and non-transferable.
That's another thing that needs fixing, yeah.

Why can't they make it so you can move software to external storage and back and forth, but not copy it? Then software can't get duplicated.
Because once you remove the drive from the unit, there's nothing stopping you from making a copy of the external storage?

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
"My Body Is Region Free!" o_0

I don´t care about the Region-Lock, I would never import a Japanese game, because it's in F****** Japanese.
But if the people want, it won't hurt to join the campaign......
It will be good thing for people who are not know English very well and Japanese is their first language.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supply & demand I love this kind of stuff now if only I can get a few people on my side & have them approve my idea which was to give basic owners something similar to the Deluxe Digital program.In any case knowing Nintendo they would bring it to basic set owners using voucher codes but only if there is enough demand for it .

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#slacktivism

Inspired by the successful #NoDRM campaign aimed at Microsoft and Sony

Yes, the vocal minority sending tweets was what influenced Sony and Microsoft's policies, not the already-immensely harsh press backlash and huge gap in preorder sales between the consoles. Nope, it was the Tweets!

Just because a lot of people can write a hashtag doesn't mean they'll actually commit and buy the consoles. And the people who seriously care, Nintendo fans, likely already own a 3DS/Wii U or will purchase them later no matter what. Why should Nintendo even bother?

And come on, a tweet means as much as a Facebook like (hell, maybe even less). At least writing in a letter or making videos takes some effort.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These Twitter campaigns are overused nowadays. Back when I was a young'n, we used to write actual letters to companies about this stuff. Crazy, right?

In any case, it would certainly be nice to get and be able to use some of the limited edition flavors they release exclusively in other regions, namely Japan. I know a lot of people liked the black Charizard 3DS XL.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These Twitter campaigns are overused nowadays. Back when I was a young'n, we used to write actual letters to companies about this stuff. Crazy, right?

In any case, it would certainly be nice to get and be able to use some of the limited edition flavors they release exclusively in other regions, namely Japan. I know a lot of people liked the black Charizard 3DS XL.
I know I like that one. I'd prefer the Shin Megami Tensei one, though..

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Signed the petition. But I've got to admit I have no idea whether they'll listen. I couldn't have put it better than Gahars did: it's not going to boost wiiu sales. This is a publicity stunt at best ("does nintendo cares about their fans?").
And the region lock obviously has to has a measurable advantage to someone (why else is it there in the first place?). So I guess that in the end, it's that advantage counterweighted to the publicity it gets.

...even if that last part isn't going to do much (it's just getting up to par with competition).

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Don't give those pirates reason to hack your system, Nintendo.
If you don't do anything, then pirates gonna do it for you.

TwoBladedKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"My Body Is Region Free!" o_0

I don´t care about the Region-Lock, I would never import a Japanese game, because it's in F****** Japanese.
But if the people want, it won't hurt to join the campaign......

I don't know japanese, but I sure would like to Import american copies of SMT IV and Soul Hackers without having to buy another 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1