• Views 14,765
  • Replies 129

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you would change your tone if you had to live in the UK, we get games much later than anywhere else in the world, and we pay more for our games than anywhere else in the world, americans don't realize that because they are not affected by it.
You quoted me and told me to change my tone, without even quoting my whole post?
Region locking doesn't really affect me, because I can't think of any game (in English) that went to other countries but not America. My problem is more along the lines of Japanese companies not localizing awesome games.

That being said, I still dislike it.1) it affects Europeans and Japanese-aficionados, and 2) I'm planning/hoping on learning Japanese soon, so it will be a problem after that.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I really hate the way he says he wants people to 'understand', as if somehow we are confused about the purpose.

It has nothing to do with different ratings between countries, a PAL copy from any country (with differing laws and regulations) works in any other PAL country, same for NTSC. That nothing more than a lame excuse.
It is purely to maximise profit by preventing consumers taking advantage of the world market in the same way companies do.

-WiiU owner, NSMB U is excellent.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So, what do you think about this?

The dude totally missed the point of games that are already translated to English but don't come to certain territories, either soon or at all. Also, easy fix for profit allocation if/when region locking is removed: keep track of the amount of sales in the divided regions. In fact, don't they do that already? "We only have 1 version of Fire Emblem 27. So, to find out how much money goes to NoA we... oh hey, we just look at how many were sold in A."

Disclaimer: I'm not smart, and it may not be that easy, but it certainly seems that way.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though I don't play games anymore. If there's a game I want to pirate and I want to play it, I'll go for the gusto! (either be region-lock or I can buy it but never have the money) Region-locking has never stop players from playing an exclusive region game, it just required them to either spend more money on a specific region console/handheld or hack their own console to play that region lock game.

I'll give you an example, the Naruto game that came out for the Wii (I don't know the title but it had the cursed-seal Sasuke and one-tailed Naruto) took a while to get it localized from its counterpart that was already released in Japan but was on the Gamecube at that time frame. When people had their own US GC at that time, they bought a region-decoder disc which allowed the console to read any disc without the consequences of destroying their own Gamecube.

Today, the technology is getting more complex and to play a region lock game is to go with the former and pray that it doesn't suck. Right now individuals who hack their consoles are playing games they can buy right now but choose not due to not having the money or want to try it out first. While others spend money on them and sometimes resell their copy to buy a new game they want at the moment.

Depending on your compassion for gaming, it will never limit you to experience any region-lock game you want to play regardless it may make you go broke for a while.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, what do you think about this?

Vampy, why do you watch videos made by fucking idiots and post them on here?

Seriously he views the issue of region locking as a simple case of importing a J gaem in NA. Not importing a gem in english into another english territory when said gaem hasn't been released. Or gaems not being released in certain regions. He takes a highly simplistic view that all gaems get released in all regions, as such importing a gaem from another region will harm a native regions release. And ignores the fact, Nintendo have traditionally treated Europe as an afterthought.

I own copies of 999 and SMT: Strange Journey which I imported from NA. Both games were not released in Europe. There is no European release I can support. As such the only legal way I could play those gaems would be to import them. However region locking would prevent me from ever playing. This is the key point he completely glosses over or doesn't comment on. And this amplified more with Nintendo because out of the big three, Nintendo still haven't got their shit in order regarding simultaneous region releases. Ironically Sony and Microsoft who can release gaems in multiple regions with no problem are able to provide a region free system.

Christ, Nintendo need to start actually engaging with their consumers over this shit.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre 'Christ, Nintendo need to start actually engaging with their consumers over this shit.'

True, the problem is it will make Nintendo look stupid of putting up their defense for region-lock in the first place. We all make mistakes look at Sony and their PS3 gimmick 'more than just a gaming console'

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The PS3 which is receiving genuinely good first party support has been relegated to the loft?

Yeah, I don't get much time to play on the home consoles, but the kids play on the Wii U and I always have the 3DS to hand, so we put the PS3 into storage for a while. There's a few games I want to get though, I still don't have The Last of Us or Ni No Kuni.

True, the problem is it will make Nintendo look stupid of putting up their defense for region-lock in the first place. We all make mistakes look at Sony and their PS3 gimmick 'more than just a gaming console'
If Microsoft can spin it from, "We're going to lose a fuckton of money if we don't start back pedalling on all this DRM bullshit", to "We value the feedback from our loyal customers, so we're canning the DRM stuff", then I'm sure Nintendo could spin the decision to reverse region-locking the same way.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit much, don't you think
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

But I do agree that people under a rating shouldn't play/watch content that's not suitable for them

Yeah, a bit much, but we've got to draw a line somewhere. No more 9 year olds rage quitting over Call of Duty. I feel like a parent now...

IMO someone should be playing something when he can handle it. When that is is different for each person so they set the age ratings on the high side to be safe. Like, I have no problems with a 12-year old playing 16+ games. (although it obviously depends on the game as well) The problem is also most parents don't consider this at all and act like the age ratings are an absolute truth instead of doing a little research themselves; like, just a quick google for some images and a review should usually tell you what you need to know. This combined with the fact that they underestimate what their children can easily handle.

The parents should estimate what their children can and cannot handle. That's loose parenting and the child will grow up without any morals when it comes to playing games. Parents should let their children make their own decisions, but the child has to choose if he's going to be bad or good. It's more of a "if you love me, you won't play this game" situation instead of a "I don't care how much you hate me, but you will not play these sorts of games."

Many of this forum give a sh*t for region lock, but I and other people saw a game from Japan that we liked a lot or from Europe (US system) and the region lock prevent us from import these, so please join in this 'fight' they can´t choose which game I will buy! http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/
( Let's disturb them until they accept that they cannot choose which game I will buy!! We will WIN this fight =D!!!
And they (Nintendo) don´t have a real excuse for the region lock... (if you give a sh*t for region lock and don´t want to help just ignore this post =D )

I give a sh*t about region lock and subsequently sent them a very dramatic message. All those years of creative writing finally came in handy...

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Don't forget that, in the end, it is up to the game's developer to make their game region-locked or not.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre 'Christ, Nintendo need to start actually engaging with their consumers over this shit.'

Honestly I think it'll show that a company can make mistakes, acknowledge them when criticized for them, and fix them.

I mean if Microsoft can make a gigantic back peddle on the Xbox One I think Nintendo can reverse region locking.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Region Free would cost Nintendo nothing and please their consumer base. They should do it if just for the PR.

It's an artificial block now the world's TVs run the same standards and all Wiis and WiiUs can run in both 480i and 576i (NTSC and PAL). Heck you ADDED region locking to the DSi rather than having it region free. I honestly don't see the logic in having it at all anymore.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
Let's all just hope that Nintiendo(get it?!), makes the right choice and Mr. Iwata apologizes for making consumers buy 2 3DS's for the sake of playing other region games.

A full explosion of awesome will come to Nintendo if they do so and then, and only then, will they become superior once more...in terms of profit.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's all just hope that Nintiendo(get it?!), makes the right choice and Mr. Iwata apologizes for making consumers buy 2 3DS's for the sake of playing other region games.

A full explosion of awesome will come to Nintendo if they do so and then, and only then, will they become superior once more...in terms of profit.

See, the only problem is that making a system region free doesn't do anything for the local branches of the company financially. NoA doesn't get a slice of NoJ's profit and sales figures for games that people import. And to reiterate an earlier point I made, importing and making systems region free impacts a very small amount of the install base.

Reactions: Yumi

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
See, the only problem is that making a system region free doesn't do anything for the local branches of the company financially. NoA doesn't get a slice of NoJ's profit and sales figures for games that people import. And to reiterate an earlier point I made, importing and making systems region free impacts a very small amount of the install base.

Ah, well thank you for enlightening me on that. (:

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my logic is correct, it should be fairly easy to distribute revenue to the different branches. I can't see that as a serious issue.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
hack your console / wait for a hack / exploit / mod

import game from playasia or the internet

insert imported game in hacked [and now regionfrii] console

fuck Nintendo over / don't buy a second fucking console

developer who actually made the game and is a victim over Nintendo's region lock bullshit policy still gets your money and support

= healthy balance between hacking and importing

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hack your console / wait for a hack / exploit / mod

import game from playasia or the internet

insert imported game in hacked [and now regionfrii] console

fuck Nintendo over / don't buy a second fucking console

developer who actually made the game and is a victim over Nintendo's region lock bullshit policy still gets your money and support

= healthy balance between hacking and importing

Except there's a noticeable lack of hacks for their two running consoles and importing costs a lot more than just buying at your local store.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea but my total income is negative, lol