Gamers start campaign to end Wii U/3DS region locking.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 16,975
  • Replies 186
  • Likes 15

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I signed the petition and twitted with those hashtags.
It's time for Nintendo to stop with region-lock, we're not in 20th century anymore.

Microsoft listened to their fans, I bet that, if many people sign this petition and start twitting,
Nintendo will wake up and listen to their fans.
So I recommend that everybody show this to your friends and ask them to twit and sign the petition.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony was said to be considering implementing some sort of DRM (by a couple insiders) on the PS4 a little bit before E3 but reconsidered after the enormous fan response. The media backlash prior to the Microsoft event was precisely because of the #NoDRM campaign, with multiple articles from a variety of media outlets covering the event.

What Sony said and what actually happened aren't necessarily one and the same. Decisions like this take a long, long time and are made behind closed doors as companies analyze the market, weigh their options, etc. Massive policy decisions aren't made because of a hashtag.

The tweets weren't raising awareness of a new issue, either. The backlash against anti-used games policies in the press started long before the #NoDRM campaign - prominent games journalists (Jim Sterling and the like) have been beating on the drum for ages now. #NoDRM didn't retroactively introduce this opinion or the widespread support of it. In fact, they had already stated, albeit in vague terms, that they were avoiding oppressive DRM strategies with the PS4.

Of course Sony is going to encourage the tweeting - it's free publicity. When there's so many factors to consider, though, that doesn't mean it made any serious impact.

I would argue that it was more effective than simply mailing in a couple letters that could be thrown in the trash. Not only did a wide Twitter campaign generate media attention (it was trending) but flooding the personal accounts of high-ranking executives of Sony (yosp for instance) ensured that they could not be ignored.

As opposed to a tweet which you can just browse over without a second thought. Or just not go on twitter.

Again, tweets take no effort. No commitment. No serious investment of time. Anybody can make a hashtag, but what evidence does Sony have that they'll actually act on their word? That they'll follow through? We've all seen how "serious" online boycotts have turned out before - why should they think this is any different?

Letters aren't necessarily great, but at least they take some sort of investment and effort - even if it's just buying a stamp. Compared to typing out a hashtag, it's a world of difference. And they actually have a record of making a difference, even if it was only in the past - it was letter writing campaigns that helped Star Trek get a third season, after all.

In regards to this campaign, Iwata has shown on multiple occasions (Nintendo Direct) that they are watching Miiverse and aware of what the users are posting. If there's any way to get the message directly to Nintendo, Miiverse is arguably the best way.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. Of course Nintendo is going to encourage the free publicity and flurry of activity, but where's the incentive to act on it? Where's the threat, the danger, if they don't? After all, the activity on the Miiverse is coming from people already on the Miiverse - how many are really going to commit and throw out their console just because of a feature that, let's be honest, only a niche of gamers really care about.

And while there is certainly no guarantee that people participating in this campaign are going to go out and buy said consoles after a change in policies and that it probably won't result in any monetary gain on Nintendo's part, it's one way for Nintendo to earn some goodwill among its fans and add a selling point to their hardware simply by removing an outdated and intrusive policy.

Again, it's a feature only a small (though certainly vocal) minority cares about. Most don't care one way or the other - and if Nintendo thinks it's within their best interest to keep their systems region locked, I seriously doubt the niche has enough monetary pull to make up for it.

The insistence on twitter campaigns bugs me to no end. We laugh at Facebook likes ("If this picture gets 1000 likes, we'll do X!") and yet decide to take tweets, which are just as worthless, seriously. People like these campaigns because they don't have to do anything but they can still pat themselves on the back for "making a difference" or whatever. It's armchair activism, plain and simple.

Reactions: The Milkman

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Again, tweets take no effort. No commitment. No serious investment of time. Anybody can make a hashtag, but what evidence does Sony have that they'll actually act on their word? That they'll follow through? We've all seen how "serious" online boycotts have turned out before - why should they think this is any different?

Letters aren't necessarily great, but at least they take some sort of investment and effort - even if it's just buying a stamp. Compared to typing out a hashtag, it's a world of difference. And they actually have a record of making a difference, even if it was only in the past - it was letter writing campaigns that helped Star Trek get a third season, after all.

39114898.jpg

If this got trending on twitter, it would be harmful to Nintendo's image.
It may not change for people who already bought the console, but many people would avoid buying it.
Also, remember what happened to MS holdings after their pitiful console announcement.

Aside that, twitting and signing on a petition is simple and easy, everybody can do it,
it may do no good, but it will also do no harm to you.

Reactions: celcodioc

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't stand to gain as much market share as Microsoft stood to lost, so I don't see how this works. MS rolling back their goofy DRM was a life or death decision, Nintendo's region locking is just an old business practice that they're stuck to. Honestly it should be left up to the developers like the 360.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a 3DS the day that they make it region-free, but I'm a special case. Most people are fine with waiting for local releases or don't care about JP games.

Reactions: Gahars

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It may not change for people who already bought the console, but many people would avoid buying it.
Also, remember what happened to MS holdings after their pitiful console announcement.

What image? Their last public appearances were Miyamoto telling us there's no F-zero coming upand Iwata apologizing for nintendo's poor sales. Nintendo didn't even try to make a show at E3. Something like this certainly isn't going to matter. In fact, I'd even say it is good news...as that means those same tweeters AREN'T trending about it being the inferior console.

I've got to admit that this is a wide-open opportunity for Iwata if he wants a quick way to prove that "nintendo listens to their customers", but he'll have to do it quick, as opinions on this may change. It only takes so long until someone realizes only a small percentage actually imports games from other regions, so removing it barely changes anything.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"It's not about the effort, it's about sending a message."

Campaigns without effort, commitment, and follow through send a clear message, alright.

How? Really, now, how many people out there care about region locking one way or the other?

On GBAtemp and similar sites, sure, there's some interest, but this is a Nintendo-friendly site big on hacking - we're hardly representative of the whole population.

The only ones I could think of are Jack and shit, and Jack just left town.

Remember how that had nothing to do with Twitter, as I've explained before?

Aside that, twitting and signing on a petition is simple and easy, everybody can do it,

And that's what makes it utterly worthless as a form of protest. It's the difference between a hunger strike and a "Three Square Meals a Day" strike.

it may do no good, but it will also do no harm to you.

That doesn't mean its worthwhile or effectual or meaningful.

If you want to tweet a hashtag to Nintendo, then by all means, be my guest. If you think you're accomplishing anything at all, however, you're kidding yourself.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Campaigns without effort, commitment, and follow through send a clear message, alright.

How? Really, now, how many people out there care about region locking one way or the other?

On GBAtemp and similar sites, sure, there's some interest, but this is a Nintendo-friendly site big on hacking - we're hardly representative of the whole population.

The only ones I could think of are Jack and shit, and Jack just left town.

And that's what makes it utterly worthless as a form of protest. It's the difference between a hunger strike and a "Three Square Meals a Day" strike.

If you want to tweet a hashtag to Nintendo, then by all means, be my guest. If you think you're accomplishing anything at all, however, you're kidding yourself.

I just read that last line while rapping. HAHAHAHA!
Anyway, thing is, Gahars is right. Many forms of protests have been done before, usually the protests that have the biggest impact are those that are representive of a large scale population, that actually takes time and effort to do it and that would actually affect a company in a big way. Hell if this protest continues or fails, there's gonna be much difference at all.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Citizen Snips!*
Hey, buddy, this is the internet. Which was made in America. In America, if we can't eat nachos while doing something, then it's not worth doing. I've just tweeted that I just commented about nachos while eating nachos with the hashtags #nachos, #inception, and #nachoception.

#'Murica.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

That's one protest that didn't work, you can't base everything just on one case that didn't work.
Aside that, you know how Call of Duty fans are, they can't stop complaining about the game,
and about how nothing changes, but when a new CoD game is released, they are the first one to buy it.

If some critic about an enterprise starts trending,
it doesn't matter what it is, or if is really relevant, it will take down the company's image.

By the way, it's easy to say people do not care about it when you live in USA.
Many countries do not have an official Nintendo support, people in these countries have to import,
and many have trouble with region lock.

How can you assure that the MS change had nothing to do with twitter?
There is no proof, just your opinion that twitts do not make a change,
when nowadays, it's even better for complaining it's rights about product quality.

I've seen many people that with a simple twitt had their defective products replaced almost instantly.
Fridges, Washing Machines and electronics in general.

You underestimate the power of twitter.

By the way, even if it may not make any change, it at least worth a try.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one protest that didn't work, you can't base everything just on one case that didn't work.
Aside that, you know how Call of Duty fans are, they can't stop complaining about the game,
and about how nothing changes, but when a new CoD game is released, they are the first one to buy it.

It's one example, sure, but one that perfectly illustrates the long running trend. Time and time again we see internet campaigns rise up (Boycott this game! Support that game!) that fail when push comes to shove because it takes a lot more effort to actually commit to something than it does to just join a group or sign a petition or make a tweet.

You can't write this off as just a Call of Duty thing. It's not even just a video game thing, as calls for boycotts against companies like Wal-Mart and JC Penny go nowhere time and time again. A lot of people today want the maximum amount of change while putting the least amount of effort and seem shocked when they have nothing to show for it.

If some critic about an enterprise starts trending,
it doesn't matter what it is, or if is really relevant, it will take down the company's image.

If that was the case, everyone would think that Nintendo only specialized in "stupid faggot shit for babies" by now.

Needless to say, image does not work that way. People need to care about the critique first and foremost, and it takes a lot, lot more to actually do damage to it.

By the way, it's easy to say people do not care about it when you live in USA.
Many countries do not have an official Nintendo support, people in these countries have to import,
and many have trouble with region lock.

I can sympathize, really. If people in these areas really want to make a difference, however, then they shouldn't buy region-locked Nintendo products, period. That's a boycott, and that's an effective form of protest. Tweets aren't necessary - the sales should speak for themselves.

Companies, for the most part, don't care about messages on twitter. They can't! They certainly give a shit about messages to their wallets, however.

when nowadays, it's even better for complaining it's rights about product quality.

You do realize that you're the one asserting that tweets somehow had to do with Microsoft's stock performance, right? That's on you to prove.

Seriously, what did tweets have to do with a) Microsoft touting an already maligned and unpopular set of policies, b) Having the weaker press conference, and c) making the console $100 more expensive than its closest competitor? I think those factors matter a shit ton more to investors than a trending hashtag.

I've seen many people that with a simple twitt had their defective products replaced almost instantly.

"Tweets changed the policies of entire companies because a fridge company offered customer support on twitter!"

Okay.

Okay, sure, buddy.

Don't get me wrong, Twitter can be a great tool for organization and for spreading information. Protests across the world have shown the significance of social media. Twitter was not the be all, end all, however - it enabled and helped mobilize the larger effort. There's a world of difference.

By the way, even if it may not make any change, it at least worth a try.

If you think the cause is worth a try, then actually try something meaningful. Armchair activism helps no one - except, ironically enough, for the targets of the campaign who are more than happy to bask in the free publicity.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's one example, sure, but one that perfectly illustrates the long running trend. Time and time again we see internet campaigns rise up (Boycott this game! Support that game!) that fail when push comes to shove because it takes a lot more effort to actually commit to something than it does to just join a group or sign a petition or make a tweet.

https://www.facebook.com/events/115366428534785/

31 million sold units and rising. Yeah, boycotts and Internet-based protests are very effective.

EDIT: I found that boycott particularily interesting (and funny) since it had no evidence to support it, merely speculation along the lines of "Nintendo didn't say that they're not using conflicting materials ergo they must be using conflicting materials. How dare they not investigate the matter!? I will never buy a 3DS until they investitage blah blah blah...". Them Internet Smarts.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...ubisoft didn't exactly change their views on Rayman origins after every artist in the world united on miiverse to make fun of them.

And on gbatemp, we also know how nintendo fans are: we can't stop complaining about games either.

So you're basically saying that thanks to twitter, people can actually exercise the right to use the guarantee on their product? Gee...I hate to tell you this, but this same practice tends to work without hashtags. And I bet in half those cases, those customers were just bad-mannered assholes who forgot or lost their receipts and held the local shop cleric personally responsible for manufacturing errors of the cheapest product in the world. :rolleyes:
EDIT: skip this part. I was wrong in assuming things (see VMM's reply below)

Also...how does this correlate in any way with the topic? The wiiu isn't defective because of a region lock, and a legally agreed fixation for one person is a totally different matter than a worldwide service change.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

You're generalising boycotts on a single example,
just because there was one boycott that failed that doesn't mean they will all fail.

You're talking about boycott, but this isn't even a boycott,
people are signing and trending in an attempt to show Nintendo their preference for not having region-block.

If that was the case, everyone would think that Nintendo only specialized in "stupid faggot shit for babies" by now.

Needless to say, image does not work that way. People need to care about the critique first and foremost, and it takes a lot, lot more to actually do damage to it.

You talk like it's all or nothing, it isn't that way.

You do realize that you're the one asserting that tweets somehow had to do with Microsoft's stock performance, right? That's on you to prove.

I said that Microsoft have changed it's policies because of the public negative reaction.
The public reaction was everywhere, including, of course, on Twitter.

Seriously, what did tweets have to do with a) Microsoft touting an already maligned and unpopular set of policies, b) Having the weaker press conference, and c) making the console $100 more expensive than its closest competitor? I think those factors matter a shit ton more to investors than a trending hashtag.

This does not dissociate with public's reaction.

Okay, sure, buddy.

Don't get me wrong, Twitter can be a great tool for organization and for spreading information. Protests across the world have shown the significance of social media. Twitter was not the be all, end all, however - it enabled and helped mobilize the larger effort. There's a world of difference.

I'm not saying twitter changed everything.
Twitter is an outstanding tool for spreading info and mobilizing people towards a common objective.

If you think the cause is worth a try, then actually try something meaningful. Armchair activism helps no one - except, ironically enough, for the targets of the campaign who are more than happy to bask in the free publicity.
I don't believe twitter alone will make all the difference,
but, for me, it's a first step in the right direction,
you need to mobilize many people towards a common goal,
then go for other more effective measures with support of these people

So you're basically saying that thanks to twitter, people can actually exercise the right to use the guarantee on their product? Gee...I hate to tell you this, but this same practice tends to work without hashtags. And I bet in half those cases, those customers were just bad-mannered assholes who forgot or lost their receipts and held the local shop cleric personally responsible for manufacturing errors of the cheapest product in the world.:rolleyes:

This is what happens in a country with good services like Belgium, UK, USA,
but in many countries, including mine, services suck.

Twitter became a great place for consumers to claim their rights,
it works much better than Procon, which is a federal entity specialized for consumer rights.

Also...how does this correlate in any way with the topic? The wiiu isn't defective because of a region lock, and a legally agreed fixation for one person is a totally different matter than a worldwide service change.

This correlates because it shows how complaining on twitter makes
companies policies changes. I know it's a bit off :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.