Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Everything You Need to Know (Includes OTPHelper Now)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this in the OTP thread, but this seems like a more appropriate place.

I haven't been able to get the uncart.bin from the guide to boot, and I've tried several times now. It just gets stuck on a black screen. Is this a common problem, and is there any solution?

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've successfully downgraded a 2DS from 10.1.0 to 9.2.0, stepped down to 2.1.0 to get the OTP, then back to 9.2.0; OTP helper is really an amazing tool for this.

I've arrived at Part5 and it forces you to use SysNAND. For now, I'd rather use RedNAND;
- update to 10.7.0 while leaving SysNAND at 9.2.0 for now (allowing ninjhax 1.1b to run)
- as well it looks like I can region-change the RedNAND so by just setting up different SD-cards it looks like you can have one regular (USA/Can) and one JPN, and one EUR/AUS.

Once happy with RedNAND you can always decide to clone it to SysNAND, but for now I'd like all the "goodies" plus AuReiNAND auto-booting (unless I press a certain key)

Does anyone still have a link/copy of the "older" guide?

Edit: removed AGB_FIRM, need to go to sysnand anyway

Last edited by SirByte,

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you, OP for an excellent guide. I now have three 3DSes running AuReiNAND and armloaderhax. I'm still waiting on accessories for my 3DS XL, so I can start using it after migrating my information from an o3DS.

I will use the guide once more on my o3DS to be able to run great games and homebrew.

Thank you for a concise and easy to follow guide!

paradox355

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Plailect First of all, great job on the tutorial! :yay: I had just downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2 and was ready to start with CFW emunand when I found the article. I was hesitant to try arm9 load but this article is very clear and complete so I'm going to give it a shot. I did have a couple questions tho

1. Instead of injecting FBI into H&S in emuNAND, could I just use FBI to install FBI.cia and HBLauncher_loader.cia into emuNAND home menu before upgrading emuNAND to current FW? That way HB Launcher and FBI are already available in emuNAND when it's backed up.

2. In Part 5 - Section I, the last bullet reads:
    Copy your emuNAND_original.bin backups from Section I to the root of your SD card

I think that is supposed to read:
    Copy your emuNAND_original.bin backups from Part 4 Section I to the root of your SD card

Since it's Section I of a different Part where the emuNAND_original.bin is created, that could be a little confusing.
Anyway, thanks again for a great guide. I look forward to giving it a go.

GoldAnthro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im going to mirror a previous person's image as it is applies to me too and there doesn't appear to be an answer yet
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/20160410_151133-jpg.45211/
also here is mine. the same thing is happening to
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOFiYc4AXF4R_rZwZRV9YtJmheCPr_xj0pSlwrM
btw for reference the only difference is that im using cakesfw 138. not sure what the other person had.
Tbh, if you're having problems, use Aureinand. It's much simpler and no one's gonna blame you for going the nooby route. Many experienced people have done it for the features.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg

GoldAnthro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought that aurienand only works for n3ds models? i guess ill give it a shot. is it just as easy to load as rxtools and cakes? honestly I still am curious why it doesnt work. i have less than 48 hours before a convention and would like to get this fixed up with arm9 if i can before i leave. :)

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
i thought that aurienand only works for n3ds models? i guess ill give it a shot. is it just as easy to load as rxtools and cakes? honestly I still am curious why it doesnt work. i have less than 48 hours before a convention and would like to get this fixed up with arm9 if i can before i leave. :)

AuReiNAND works for o3DS. All four of my household's systems are running that. :)

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, now that I have successfully installed a9lh on sysnand, is there a way to load other a9lh applications besides the ones already installed?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides the ones triggered on load, how do I load OTHER a9lh applications, like AGBSave9?
It looks like you can launch it through the homebrew menu, and since it has a .bin file, you may be able to launch it on boot like decrypt9 although since I've never used it I don't know if it's compatible.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you can launch it through the homebrew menu, and since it has a .bin file, you may be able to launch it on boot like decrypt9 although since I've never used it I don't know if it's compatible.
Unfortunately, the homebrew launcher version (via the cia loader) only kicks me back to the launcher menu. I really think there should be an option to select from several a9lh applications.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the homebrew launcher version (via the cia loader) only kicks me back to the launcher menu. I really think there should be an option to select from several a9lh applications.
Try to do it on boot. I think I get why it's not working. You're using Aureinand on a9lh right? Rename the .bin to something like x_agbsave.bin and put it in the payloads folder within the aurei folder and try booting it.

paradox355

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to do it on boot. I think I get why it's not working. You're using Aureinand on a9lh right? Rename the .bin to something like x_agbsave.bin and put it in the payloads folder within the aurei folder and try booting it.

If you are using 5.1 or later version of Aureinand, be sure to use short filename format (8.3) for the chained payload filenames. Long file names were causing issues so she pulled support for that starting in v5.1.

• Fixed the L+SELECT payload not working, this was due to the LFN -> SFN (8.3) conversion. Now the payload must be named sel_NAME.bin.
  • Removed LFN support from the FatFs of the chainloader (as LFNs aren't used at all by it). This shrinks down the binary by ~4 KBs

chickendude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm having trouble setting up FBI. I'm on Linux and used the Linux scripts to build the FBI injector .app file, it seemed to work but when i run FBI after going into DevMode in rxTools, it crashes and asks me to turn the 3DS off. I tried the scripts in Windows and it gives me:
Code:
[INFO]Loading files.New=work\inject_exhdr.bin,Old=work\hs_exhdr.bin....FAIL. File not found!

I'm doing the part of the guide to update to 9.2. I've got an old 3DS, firmware 8.1.0-12U.

Last edited by chickendude,

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, at the end I decided to use CTRBootManager9 to load the other a9lh applications. And big thanks to @Plailect for the tutorial; I finally switched from ReiNAND to AuReiNAND, and everything from SysNAND works smoother now! Hurray for master race!

... But now I have a question. According to this picture, I must now have only three keys out of four. Is this normal?
687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4566565630704d2e706e67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: