Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Everything You Need to Know (Includes OTPHelper Now)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have followed this guide all the way through and now I have 10.6 sysnand with a9lh.
The problem is that FBI is not in the H&S app and when I boot Decrpyt9WIP by holding (x) it won't let me inject.
This is the error screen I get:

You selected "Health&Safety Inject".
This feature writes to the SysNAND.
Doing this is potentially dangerous!

If you wish to proceed, enter:
<Left>, <Up>, <Right>, <Up>, <A>

(B to return, START to reboot)

Searching title "Health&Safety (N3DS)"...
Method 1: Search in title.db...
Method 2: Search in file system...
Failed!
Health&Safety Inject: failed!

Press B to return, START to reboot.
Where did you get your injectable app from? You didn't dump it from that SysNAND, right?

Plusi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I originally had RxTools from this tutorial (on January it had RxTools, then it switched to ReiNAND). http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...luding-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

I successfully installed a9lh on my RxTools'd New 3DS, but there were a few problems I'm going to explain in case somebody else has trouble.
- As the guide says, make sure to change menuhax to type 1. Run Homebrew Launcher, menuhax manager.
- Make sure you do install AuReiNAND prior to starting Part 4. It's RxTools compatible (your EmuNAND will look like the same)
- For best results, add AuReiNAND to your CtrBootManager (I added /3ds/reinand.3dsx)
- Launching Homebrew Launcher on SysNAND sometimes doesn't want to load your homebrew (because it launches CtrBootManager first). I ran into this problem a few times. Just rename "bhbl.3dsx" to "boot.3dsx" temporarily.
- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT update RxTools SysNAND to 10.6!! It's not compatible. It will boot to a black screen and you'll have to restore your EmuNAND. You can, of course, update AuReiNAND.

- When you're done, feel free to delete your /rxtools/ folder and CtrBootManager's boot.3dsx. You can rename bhbl.3dsx to boot.3dsx.

It seems, however, that Part 5 of the guide has changed overnight. I completed it last night and I don't have this Updated SysNAND stuff, just a 10.6 AuReiNAND EmuNAND that autoboots...

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The guide has been updated to use CakesFW and updated SysNAND mode. I am using Cakes because it will be easier to troubleshoot since #Cakey maintains CakesFW and updated SysNAND mode for the following reasons:

1. The SD card space could be very important for some users
2. The EmuNAND model of having two OSs will confuse noobs
3. If a noob hears about updated SysNAND after and tries to do it without a good guide, they will probably brick themselves
come on, Plailect, you can't be serious with these arguments...
i don't care that you prefer to use CakesFW for your tutorials than AuReiNand, but seriously, this is nonsense.

Last edited by Mrrraou,
Reactions: Aurora Wright

WallK

Get off my lawn
Trophies
XP
Country
I originally had RxTools from this tutorial (on January it had RxTools, then it switched to ReiNAND). http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...luding-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

I successfully installed a9lh on my RxTools'd New 3DS, but there were a few problems I'm going to explain in case somebody else has trouble.
- As the guide says, make sure to change menuhax to type 1. Run Homebrew Launcher, menuhax manager.
- Make sure you do install AuReiNAND prior to starting Part 4. It's RxTools compatible (your EmuNAND will look like the same)
- For best results, add AuReiNAND to your CtrBootManager (I added /3ds/reinand.3dsx)
- Launching Homebrew Launcher on SysNAND sometimes doesn't want to load your homebrew (because it launches CtrBootManager first). I ran into this problem a few times. Just rename "bhbl.3dsx" to "boot.3dsx" temporarily.
- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT update RxTools SysNAND to 10.6!! It's not compatible. It will boot to a black screen and you'll have to restore your EmuNAND. You can, of course, update AuReiNAND.

- When you're done, feel free to delete your /rxtools/ folder and CtrBootManager's boot.3dsx. You can rename bhbl.3dsx to boot.3dsx.

It seems, however, that Part 5 of the guide has changed overnight. I completed it last night and I don't have this Updated SysNAND stuff, just a 10.6 AuReiNAND EmuNAND that autoboots...
Autobooting your sysnand is actually updated sysnand thingy. AuReiNand flag is actually named like this

prototech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your guide is great regardless, but in my opinion AuReiNand is easier for new users. Less files to worry about, no menus, etc. Thanks for all the effort though.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The guide has been updated to use CakesFW and updated SysNAND mode. I am using Cakes because it will be easier to troubleshoot since #Cakey maintains CakesFW and updated SysNAND mode for the following reasons:

3. If a noob hears about updated SysNAND after and tries to do it without a good guide, they will probably brick themselves
come on, Plailect, you can't be serious with these arguments...
i don't care that you prefer to use CakesFW for your tutorials than AuReiNand, but seriously, this is nonsense.

1. The SD card space could be very important for some users -> if you don't care about a 1s slower boot, AuReiNand takes 4 MBs of SD space (assuming one needs a 9.0 emuNAND and thus firmware90.bin. if not it's 3 MB). Just 2 MB if one doesn't need emuNAND at all. If you want a slightly faster boot, you can sacrifice up to 3 MB more of space (one for each boot mode). Cakes takes like 2,5 MBs, but it doesn't support two boot modes at the same time (if you wish to have a 9.0 emuNAND you have to switch firmwares). So not really a fair comparison if you ask me.
2. The EmuNAND model of having two OSs will confuse noobs -> you're not forced to have an emuNAND, or even its firmware file.
3. If a noob hears about updated SysNAND after and tries to do it without a good guide, they will probably brick themselves -> I can't see how needing to manually apply a patch is safer than having it applied automatically (if booting with A9LH and loading sysNAND).

That said, I understand that #cakey is Cakes' support channel, and it's perfectly legitimate if you use it for your guide. Just don't make things up to support this, though :)

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The SD card space could be very important for some users -> if you don't care about a 1s slower boot, AuReiNand takes 4 MBs of SD space (assuming one needs a 9.0 emuNAND and thus firmware90.bin. if not it's 3 MB). Just 2 MB if one doesn't need emuNAND at all. If you want a slightly faster boot, you can sacrifice up to 3 MB more of space (one for each boot mode). Cakes takes like 2,5 MBs, but it doesn't support two boot modes at the same time (if you wish to have a 9.0 emuNAND you have to switch firmwares). So not really a fair comparison if you ask me.
2. The EmuNAND model of having two OSs will confuse noobs -> you're not forced to have an emuNAND, or even its firmware file.
3. If a noob hears about updated SysNAND after and tries to do it without a good guide, they will probably brick themselves -> I can't see how needing to manually apply a patch is safer than having it applied automatically (if booting with A9LH and loading sysNAND).

That said, I understand that #cakey is Cakes' support channel, and it's perfectly legitimate if you use it for your guide. Just don't make things up to support this, though :)

Those 3 reasons were referring to updated SysNAND mode vs EmuNAND.. Please read what I wrote. The only reason for Cakes over AuReiNAND is that #Cakey members maintain both CakesFW and the guide.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Those 3 reasons were referring to updated SysNAND mode vs EmuNAND.. Please read what I wrote. The only reason for Cakes over AuReiNAND is that #Cakey members maintain both CakesFW and the guide.
AuReiNand perfectly supports updated sysNAND, you just have to make a file called /rei/updatedsysnand.

Reactions: Aurora Wright

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AuReiNand perfectly supports updated sysNAND, you just have to make a file called /rei/updatedsysnand.
Let me try again, this time with nice simple formatting for you to get it.

Reasons for switching the guide from AuReiNAND to CakesFW:
We maintain both the guide and CakesFW

Reasons for switching guide from EmuNAND to Updated SysNAND (in general, unrelated to which CFW you use):

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Let me try again, this time with nice simple formatting for you to get it.

Reasons for switching the guide from AuReiNAND to CakesFW:
We maintain both the guide and CakesFW

Reasons for switching guide from EmuNAND to Updated SysNAND (in general, unrelated to which CFW you use):
oh okay, I got your point now. (and I personally prefer not updating my SysNAND, unless we get ARM9 hooks.)
(no need to be salty btw)

PF2M

Ex-Miiverse Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm up to the part right before you downgrade to 2.1... I'm using RXTools 3.0 Beta 2, will that let me use SysUpdater on EmuNAND? I thought I read somewhere that using regular RXTools and SysUpdater together were a bad idea.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.

Last edited by PF2M,

PF2M

Ex-Miiverse Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up EmuNAND.bin to SysNAND using OTPHelper and restarting my 3DS gave me a black screen. What do I do?
I downgraded to 2.1 using rxTools 2.5.2.

sx1987

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
After following the latest guide with CakesFW and "Updated SysNAND" mode, I can't install any CIAs now. Looks like the signature patch doesn't work. Need some help.:(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.