Gaming Free PlayOn through Wii U for a year

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, you are right on that count of HBO Go, and others that follow suit.

It put my compy's CPU to ~75% when transcoding with the Auto setting (showing Max on the bar), and the video wasn't even HD to begin with. I wonder how much CPU it will use if I drop the quality down a notch.
I left mine at max for testing purposes , and manually adjusted the cpu with OC genie with no loss in video Perfomance . This app plays all my video files even the ones in 3D that are SBS. Read my early post about the added heat issues though.

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it and tried it out. I was a little underwhelmed by the channels. A lot of them only offer clips and not full episodes. I guess you get what you pay for.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link but... this was a bit underwhelming. Some shows I tried to watch ended up glitched part way through and refreshing / restarting the program don't seem to work.

Also, the navigation can kind of suck... especially when searching --- got hundreds of results, but they didn't list subbed/dubbed (hulu show) and simply showed two near-identical results. (I couldn't navigate to the show itself for some reason, unless the alphabetical order was screwed up)

But it is free for now... so I'll probably use it a bit.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
not really sure wtf im doing wrong here , but i cannot seem to display any files in "my media" just comes up as "play later recordings" that is then empty , i have added media folders in the pc app to share the browser in the wiiu pad sees the PC ,, any ideas ?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really sure wtf im doing wrong here , but i cannot seem to display any files in "my media" just comes up as "play later recordings" that is then empty , i have added media folders in the pc app to share the browser in the wiiu pad sees the PC ,, any ideas ?

have you restarted the playon server? just turn the server off wait like 30 secs or so than turn it back on, its somewhere on the first tab, also make sure my media is enabled and you added the folders that you want to be shared

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not meaning to complain about free shit, but does this offer anything other than what's already free?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not meaning to complain about free shit, but does this offer anything other than what's already free?

If you know of another way to play your media files on the Wii-U, please tell (not being a dick I honestly would like to know because transcoding on the fly is a pain in the rear... lol)

This pretty much is a free service that will probably get better over the one year trial and by the end of it will probably be good enough that people will be "hooked".

On a side note I made a cool discovery.... This Playon thing skips the ads in Crackle, so that alone might make it worth checking out. (Or it's just hijacking the ad blocking hosts file on my PC? I notice that any streaming media hits my PC first then gets sent to the Wii-U.)

webbjd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it seems some channels are restricted to USA only , but either way its ok for free where ever you are plus :

Can I see media files from my PC's hard drive through PlayOn?
Yes! And it's free as part of PlayOn Lite. You can choose to enable local media file sharing, or My Media, and select specific directories on your PC's hard drive to share through PlayOn. Any media files in those directories should show up through the My Media folder. As this is still a beta feature, there are some limitations; first off, most content will always be automatically transcoded on the fly -- much like how PlayOn processes online media -- even if your connected device could potentially handle the native file directly. This means that fast forwarding can be an issue for many devices. Also, media you share through a network device will often not be correctly discovered through PlayOn. We're working on fixing both of these issues, as well as making big improvements in the My Media feature in general, so stay tuned!

Thanks, exactly what I have been looking for! Just need the Lite.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I already have a lifetime PlayOn license but this is nice I guess. PlayOn is a rather nice idea but I ended up not using it too much, it's nice being able to play Netflix etc on any DLNA capable device but I have a PC hooked up to my TV and a Netflix client on my phone so it ended up not being that useful. If I was using more of the other video services it supports it would be great just to have them all in one place though.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh... underwhelmed. I was never impressed with Hulu, and if I get what I'm hoping I get for my birthday, I can make my own media server without leaving my PC on. I'll enjoy it for the year I have it, but I have no plans on renewing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.