Modded wii u vs Modded Switch

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi quick question, I've had my Nintendo wii u for about 1-2 years now.

I was contemplating to buy a switch because there are more games on there. A quick google suggested the switch can indeed be modded.

The question is when comparing the mod to the wii u where you can pretty much download games for free
what does modding offer the switch? can you also download games ie latest ones?

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy and emulators, if you get the OG Switch, you just need a jig to hack it, otherwise you need a modchip. You can download any Switch game for free, but you cannot play them online(officially).

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok so how do you download the games out of interest?

what did u mean by OG switch? Im guessing original and it looks like a certain serial number will work
might have to buy the console 2nd hand then

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok so how do you download the games out of interest?

what did u mean by OG switch? Im guessing original and it looks like a certain serial number will work
might have to buy the console 2nd hand then
Just google "switch nsp" and you will find sites you can get them from.

Yes a version 1 switch with a serial within a certain range, you will not be able to but a new one, it will have to be 2nd hand. You can find them on ebay for around £200 in good condition just search 'unpatched switch'

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks
How long has this been doable?

Surprised i only learned about this today

My wii u has so many games and i got it modded up
Is it finally worth investing in the switch and modding it up? Think the games look far better also

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a look on ebay and yer about £200 thats cheap imo

I think the red and blue console looks nicest
What u all think?

Anything else to look out for?

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So whats the deal with controllers?
Once modded up can i connect my wii u controllers to the switch?

Just seen a few listings with game pad things for the switch

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks
How long has this been doable?

Surprised i only learned about this today

My wii u has so many games and i got it modded up
Is it finally worth investing in the switch and modding it up? Think the games look far better also
Not sure how long exactly off the top of my head but we are talking years lol. I only picked one up this May after years of putting it off, so regret not getting one sooner.

Ive just had a look on ebay and yer about £200 thats cheap imo

I think the red and blue console looks nicest
What u all think?

Anything else to look out for?
Yeah I think its cheap, literally like the price of 4 or 5 new games.

I wasn't too concerned with colour as I changed my Joycon shells anyway, I mainly just tried to find one with the best condition screen I could find from a reputable seller.

So whats the deal with controllers?
Once modded up can i connect my wii u controllers to the switch?

Just seen a few listings with game pad things for the switch
There is a homebrew app called Mission Control to let you use different controllers with your switch, I think you can use wii u pro controllers but not the standard ones. I'd check that out for yourself though to be sure

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Btw generally speaking
Ive taken a liking to the red and blue switches
Think that version looks nice

However are these too new to be modded up? few ppl sent me serials for these and looked too new

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Psd99

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the process to modd the switch is quite convoluted when compared to the wiiu mod 😂

When i do get up and running
Will the switch always boot into the custom firmware automatically like tiramisu does on the wii u?

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks that is helpful
What kind of memory card do u all use?

How big should i invest in?
I have a 256gb and it is enough for me, I think I have about 15 games currently installed and still plenty of space left

Well the process to modd the switch is quite convoluted when compared to the wiiu mod 😂

When i do get up and running
Will the switch always boot into the custom firmware automatically like tiramisu does on the wii u?

Without some kind of modchip you will have to boot into RCM and send a payload everytime you want to load up CFW.

You can set the switch to boot into RCM automatically everytime with autoRCM and then use your chosen device to send a payload. A lot of people use payload injectors, I just use the rekado app on my phone since I always have it with me anyway.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thanks what does it mean to send a payload? Is it a bit like two factor authentication where in your case you use an app on the phone

Im just wondering when compared to a wii u modded, a kid just needs to start it up and play but it might not be possible with a switch. Something i will need to find a way to teach the kids then lol

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
thanks what does it mean to send a payload? Is it a bit like two factor authentication where in your case you use an app on the phone

Im just wondering when compared to a wii u modded, a kid just needs to start it up and play but it might not be possible with a switch. Something i will need to find a way to teach the kids then lol
You need a secondary device (pc/dongle/phone) to push a payload through usb to get into the CFW from RCM. On the other hand you can just NOT let your switch die/run out of battery.. My switch is basically always on (mostly docked though). And its been like that for years since the beginning of atmosphere... If the battery runs out, you will have to charge it up a bit and push a payload to get into CFW again. This process can be automated by hardmodding with something like a trinket. There's a lot of information to learn about switch modding, i suggest you reading some FAQ beforehand.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need a secondary device (pc/dongle/phone) to push a payload through usb to get into the CFW from RCM. On the other hand you can just NOT let your switch die/run out of battery.. My switch is basically always on (mostly docked though). And its been like that for years since the beginning of atmosphere... If the battery runs out, you will have to charge it up a bit and push a payload to get into CFW again. This process can be automated by hardmodding with something like a trinket. There's a lot of information to learn about switch modding, i suggest you reading some FAQ beforehand.

yes way more information than I thought.. I was reading a few FAQ's before bed last night

Just looking forward to playing all of the "updated" games in better resolution when compared to the wii u.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
yes way more information than I thought.. I was reading a few FAQ's before bed last night

Just looking forward to playing all of the "updated" games in better resolution when compared to the wii u.
if you can find an unpatched unit for a nice price, its a great device to have imo both for switch games and homebrew and emulation. But yeah, as i said earlier, there's quite a lot to learn about switch cfw. I was lucky enough to pick in up in the beginning and just follow along with the scene :D But for a novice at this time it may seem a bit overwhelming.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What are the implications of having A modded US switch console when based in the UK?

Basically ive seen a switch for sale online but the seller says it is a US console while im based in the uk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Billies Jeans did not