Gaming Final Fantasy Tactics A2 -- Postmortem?

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:
Youkai said:
I like the game,
Tactics Advance and A2 are both WAY better than the original FF Tactics (don't know how anyone could like the original ... played it like one hour and it sucked so bad ... especially the camera moving all the time
sleep.gif
V)

there's something wrong with your brain

the original is a billion times better than the latest ones
Absolutely agreed. Final Fantasy Tactics is a gem. It's slow to start, and most of the first hour is actually a giant tutorial, but the game and it's storyline are so epic and moving, compared to TA's kiddy gets lost in book crap.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PuyoDead said:
Youkai, wait until after the auction house stuff. That's when random encounters kick in. Also, if you're not getting enough equipment for skills, you may be skipping too many quests. Try to do as many as possible when you can....

Yeah, that's kind of the essence of my appreciation for the implementation of the Job system in this particular FF game. The whole game kind of becomes a scavenger hunt for loot. Take on quests, acquire loot and earn ability points, make new weapons in the bazaar, use those new weapons to learn new abilities for your job -- when you've mastered the requisite abilities for another job you're interesting in, bam! You're good to go. Just continue the process. When the battles are as enjoyable as they are in this game, it really makes the whole thing damn addictive.

NightKry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I like a new graphics in A2, and the law system as well ( although some laws are just stupid >.>), So far I have around 10 hours in, and I'm wondering where the 4th theif skill is...

btw, what IS the auction house?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
NightKry said:
I like a new graphics in A2, and the law system as well ( although some laws are just stupid >.>), So far I have around 10 hours in, and I'm wondering where the 4th theif skill is...

Same here! I really want to change the rank of that girl thief (it really is harder to remember the names of your team than in the last game!)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dice said:
NightKry said:

Same here! I really want to change the rank of that girl thief (it really is harder to remember the names of your team than in the last game!)

happy.gif
Adelle. She's a cute and annoying character.

Yeah, it took me quite a while and lot of quests to finally get the loot I needed to make a small sword that would give her a fourth Thief ability. As already mentioned, you just have to try to do as many quests as you can. Traveling around the map will allow new quests to accumulate, so you can kind of grind a bit.

As an aside, yeah, some of the laws aren't a challenge -- they're pretty impossible to adhere to and win. Something like "no actions that cause >20 damage" is just silly when your regular attacks lob off so much more damage, the monsters are powerful, and you have to defeat all monsters in just a few rounds. This is probably one of the only, minor things I could complain about with this game, though. However, I would have preferred the 3D backgrounds of Revenant Wings. I think that would have looked great with this game.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
My only "real" complaint so far is a minor one, but a bad one none the less. Let's say you're doing a quest where you have to examine something. Well, there's that "opportunity turn" thing (or whatever the name may be), where you get the extra command for that turn. Well, that's great and all, but if you get that extra ability, it'll override the "examine" option when next to the object you're supposed to examine. So, if that happens (and it's very rare that it does), you'll have wasted that turn trying to examine the object. That's just the basic kind of thing that should have been ironed out in testing.

Endogene

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
ive been looking around in the menus, but it appears you cant speed up the gamespeed
having to wait 2 minutes before you can do your next turn is horrible

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the game is awesome!!! Best DS game ever. but a minor niggle is silly laws...

eg. moogles can't perform actions etc. and not attacking enemies lower level than you

just no. oh and i love how there's so many FFXII connections!

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The only annoying thing is we provided the loot for that freakin' clerk so that she can go to a mystery 24-7 Bazaar. And then we have to pay for something that we provide the source, which means we already paid and she wants our money for stocking her store! It drives me nuts everytime I saw "we now stock 'xxxx'!" Yeah, yeah, yeah, we gave you the loot, and you want more money...... jerk!

There, I said it... phew....

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
The only annoying thing is we provided the loot for that freakin' clerk so that she can go to a mystery 24-7 Bazaar. And then we have to pay for something that we provide the source, which means we already paid and she wants our money for stocking her store! It drives me nuts everytime I saw "we now stock 'xxxx'!" Yeah, yeah, yeah, we gave you the loot, and you want more money...... jerk!

rofl2.gif
Yeah, right?! But it's kinda like real life. I guess, off the top of my head, I could compare it to my subscription to Nintendo Power. I'm basically paying them so they can advertise to me.

But seriously, I still love the system. I wouldn't get hung up on that particular element because making new items is fun, and it makes the whole loot-hunting thing very meaningful, I think. I know when I played FFXII, the whole loot thing was kind of pointless. In Revenant Wings, it made much more sense, but it wasn't tied to the Job system. In A2, it's really like a strategy game within a strategy game. You have to constantly be on the lookout for new loot, so that you can make new items to learn new abilities to gain access to new jobs.

tcgiant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I've found about the game that I would really change is how the laws are implemented. In the first FFTA, the fact that the laws changed daily allowed for a great deal of flexibility in planning your battles. In this game, since every mission is given a law by default, it takes that element of strategy out of the player's hands and makes it more complicated to strategize around laws on the field. Also, since the laws don't have any actual recourse beyond punishing the player in the first place, it just seems like a dick move overall, as opposed to in the first FFTA, where your opponents could feel as much of the sting from the judges' punishments as the player could.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
irpacynot said:
Raestloz said:

rofl2.gif
Yeah, right?! But it's kinda like real life. I guess, off the top of my head, I could compare it to my subscription to Nintendo Power. I'm basically paying them so they can advertise to me.

But seriously, I still love the system. I wouldn't get hung up on that particular element because making new items is fun, and it makes the whole loot-hunting thing very meaningful, I think. I know when I played FFXII, the whole loot thing was kind of pointless. In Revenant Wings, it made much more sense, but it wasn't tied to the Job system. In A2, it's really like a strategy game within a strategy game. You have to constantly be on the lookout for new loot, so that you can make new items to learn new abilities to gain access to new jobs.

Yeah, well, at least you got some info from Nintendo Power, but at this system, not even one item fall into our hands. I mean, at least give us one, and we'll buy more should we need more. We provided the loot, so I think we should at least have one, not buy one............

But FFTA2's job system makes more sense........ about obtaining new jobs I mean. It's not like you'l learn the secrets of Green Magick, or Ninja, or Beastmaster by yourself (you'll be a freakin' genius if you do
blink.gif
like in FFT)

phenixz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Raestloz said:
Yeah, well, at least you got some info from Nintendo Power, but at this system, not even one item fall into our hands. I mean, at least give us one, and we'll buy more should we need more. We provided the loot, so I think we should at least have one, not buy one............

But FFTA2's job system makes more sense........ about obtaining new jobs I mean. It's not like you'l learn the secrets of Green Magick, or Ninja, or Beastmaster by yourself (you'll be a freakin' genius if you do
blink.gif
like in FFT)

Yep, I think that should be fair if you got one ... But no, just pay for it! ;-)

Evilkoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't like the storyline, the main character or the clumsy menu system. Other than that it's a really fun game.

maz-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Evilkoko said:
I really don't like the storyline, the main character or the clumsy menu system. Other than that it's a really fun game.
Luso's a lot more likeable than Marche, imo. At least Luso got balls >>

seracrux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My take:

the game still retains the tactical, Job, clan, and quest system that I've grown to like. Graphics and art direction aren't too bad, music is great although I noticed some reused from Revenant Wings. However, the game could use some improvements. Its pacing is too slow, the law system while improved by making it an incentive instead of a penalty is not as fun as it could have been (they should make it random). Im still in the early part, but the story isn't compelling at all, and Lusso is unconvincing sometimes; the story and execution seem kinda forced.

I'd still recommend this to DS owners and am probably going to play this for quite awhile (or until CT comes out) myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    +2
    "My party doesn't lie!!" ummm politician not lying? Has hell frozen over? lol
    +1
    Tries calling them
    +2
    Reach around and touch someone! AT&T!!!
    +1
    Especially me :D:evil::shy:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol +1