The problem with the Final Fantasy Franchise

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
The only reason that this series tanked is because of Sakaguchi leaving square. Fantasian and Last Story is more final fantasy than the current ones. Imagine if Last Story was released today with a sizeable budget from Nintendo.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Imo, I think the problem is that with games like dragon quest ot tales of, you know what you're getting. The games haven't changed much. However, with final fantasy, you don't know what you're getting. The game could be good or shit.

I remember Miyamoto once saying that the mark of a good game in an established franchise is that the player should be able to tell what series it's from. I don't see that with final fantasy, because each game is so radically different.

Oh I totally agree, But at the same time, you used to be able to tell it was a Final Fantasy game from playing it, The games up until Final Fantasy X was all different buy yet, very similar in some ways.

These days you might be able to tell only because there's Chocobos and some names carried over from previous games, like spells, weapons and summons.

But based on music and gameplay alone it would be very difficult to tell it was a Final Fantasy game.
Post automatically merged:

Tbh nothing wrong with western games, FF is its own hell

Nah he's correct, by westernising the franchise and changing the genre of the gameplay, Final Fantasy has lost a lot of it's identity and charm.

Sure there's nothing wrong with western games.
But think about this for a moment.. This is equivalent of turning The Last of Us 3 into an jRPG with anime style Characters in order for it to appeal to the Japanese market.
I think The Last of Us fans would get confused and upset, however if they did something like this and marketed it as a spin-off then I believe it would be received better.
Because the fans could still expect a third main line game with the same feel to it coming eventually.

Last edited by DaniPoo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto