• Replies 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
rumor has it that it will have a nvidia tegra chip. meaning it will be much stronger than even the wii.
so if it would have that chip and gets hacked we might play wii games on a 3ds XD

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
Rydian said:
KingVamp said:
emulation and muti-tasking
smile.gif
I doubt this will have multitasking for the same reason the iphone doesn't have it. Lack of swap space.

don't wanna reign on ur parade
or anything but the iPhone gen 4 has multiple tasking and my jailbroken iPod touch 2g has multitasking no probs what so ever

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Coreyfrog7 said:
Rydian said:
KingVamp said:
emulation and muti-tasking
smile.gif
I doubt this will have multitasking for the same reason the iphone doesn't have it. Lack of swap space.

don't wanna reign on ur parade
or anything but the iPhone gen 4 has multiple tasking and my jailbroken iPod touch 2g has multitasking no probs what so ever
The Gen4 is not out yet, and this is the first I've heard of the iphone multitasking via jailbreaking, so I'm going to have to ask for source.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
#5661 said:
I use Backgrounder for multitasking.
A google search brings you up enough stuff to look at http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=...2911715a928b061
smile.gif
Works fine for me on my iPt 2G... I can run 3-4 apps backgrounded without lag or that thing where your iPt/iPhone kills the apps due to low memory, depending on what they are.Killing A SINGLE app due to low memory is inexcusable.
iPhone said:
Oh hi, that app with the report you were working on for work that you stuck in the background? Yeah I kinda' killed it. You wanted to save? No, too late, it's dead, I had to kill SOMETHING or else lock up (causing you to lose everything), and it's not like I can tell that one app is more important than another, so I just killed the oldest.
happy.gif
ILU2!I don't know how the 4.0 OS is going to handle multitasking, but It'll most likely involve copying an application's state to disc so it can be terminated without losing anything, then it'll most likely not let you resume it until there's ample memory free. Pseudo-swap, if you will. This might require reserving some extra disc space for that, though.

QUOTE(#5661 @ May 1 2010, 02:31 PM)
A bit OT but how do you randomise your sig, Rydian?
I'll paste it.
http://paste2.org/p/805021
quotes.php sets an array containing the quotes.

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do people keep making threads like this? i don't think we have ANY info on 3DS hardware so wtf

n64 emulator

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
#5661 said:
I use Backgrounder for multitasking.
A google search brings you up enough stuff to look at http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=...2911715a928b061
smile.gif
Works fine for me on my iPt 2G... I can run 3-4 apps backgrounded without lag or that thing where your iPt/iPhone kills the apps due to low memory, depending on what they are.Killing A SINGLE app due to low memory is inexcusable.
QUOTE said:
Oh hi, that app with the report you were working on for work that you stuck in the background? Yeah I kinda' killed it. You wanted to save? No, too late, it's dead, I had to kill SOMETHING or else lock up (causing you to lose everything), and it's not like I can tell that one app is more important than another, so I just killed the oldest.
happy.gif
ILU2!I don't know how the 4.0 OS is going to handle multitasking, but It'll most likely involve copying an application's state to disc so it can be terminated without losing anything, then it'll most likely not let you resume it until there's ample memory free. Pseudo-swap, if you will. This might require reserving some extra disc space for that, though.

QUOTE( @ May 1 2010, 02:31 PM)
A bit OT but how do you randomise your sig, Rydian?
I'll paste it.
http://paste2.org/p/805021
quotes.php sets an array containing the quotes.
Iphone OS4, will have 7 different ways to multitask, 6 of those are for audio streams. the other one is saving state. and if there isn't enough ram left on the iphone any gen with jailbreak multitasking it simply kill's a process by other application, usually mail, safari or one them apple ones because those never close. I'm currently running OS4 on my 2gen touch, which doesn't have multitasking even though it could do it.(yes I am a registered dev) and OS4 can only officially run 4 apps at a time, but people figured out how to run more most likely due to a bug in the beta.

zuron7

RBYG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
It will mostly have the features the current Supercard EOS has and depending on the features maybe a few more additions.
I also had the thought that it will need quite some processor power to bring up 3D images so we might just get Windows 98 running or something higher or lower even.
It would also be interesting if the karts had 3D menu's.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don't think there will be any 3DS flashcarts.
Nintendo learned from the DSi's vulnerability.

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nollog said:
No matter how or when, the 3DS will get hacked,

It doesn't even have to be using a flashcard, could also be a software mod like we saw with the Wii.
And with all the great devs we have in the scene it will be just a matter of time for it to get hacked;)

Nothing is 'unhackable', even a little bug can open the gates for homebrew (like we saw with the twilight hack)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
XLarge said:
Nollog said:
No matter how or when, the 3DS will get hacked,

It doesn't even have to be using a flashcard, could also be a software mod like we saw with the Wii.
And with all the great devs we have in the scene it will be just a matter of time for it to get hacked;)

Nothing is 'unhackable', even a little bug can open the gates for homebrew (like we saw with the twilight hack)
True. But, if there's not enough interest in hacking the 3DS, it might take years before that happens. And even then, you'd still be at the very beginning. Look at the DSi. There's only a couple of people interested in hacking it and some possible exploits were found, but not put to use yet.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Partly why I never said it would be "unhackable". ;D

I'd be glad, Cart manufacturers make too much money off piracy.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Indeed. That's one thing I love about the PSP: no one makes money out of piracy on it. Only memory card manufacturers, but they aren't flashcard companies
tongue.gif

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
What I'd expect to see is a Hologram sticker on the flashcards for 3DS.
At first we'd see a DS flashcard for 3DS.
Than we'd see a 3DS and DS flashcard for 3DS
Than we'd see a 3DS and DSi and DS flashcard for 3DS
Or vice versa... (As in DSi and DS, than 3DS and DSi and DS.)

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Overman1977 said:
I think the ability to run multiple small apps at once would be nice, which might be able to be done given more memory and such.
Unless there was a LARGE amount of memory, a hard limit on the amount of memory each program could use at once, and a hard limit on the number of programs you can run at once, it's not really possible. Yes, each of those things alone doesn't sound bad, but when you put them together, you could end up with a way expensive device that only allows each program to use 32 megs of memory and only allows 4 programs at once because it only has 128 megs of memory... but each program would be limited to 32 megs no matter if you were running four or just one, because the 3DS will most likely lack an MMU (memory management unit).

No ARM chip I'm aware of has an MMU, devices like the Pandora need a separate MMU chip, and nintendo's not going to add something like that to the mix unless they were going to actively use it. You do not want virtual memory being used while you game, so they'd simply make everything fit in RAM, games wouldn't use an MMU as such in the first place, thus no reason to include it.
I don't know what you're talking about, everything ARM9 and above includes an MMU. An MMU isn't just for mutitasking, it's for handling cache, virtual address translation and memory protection so they're very useful for lightening the load on the cpu. For the sort of power required for the 3DS it'll likely use one of the Cortex-A processors so it'll probably include an MMU.

Also the OMAP3530 in the Pandora is an Cortex-A8 processor which is based on ARM V7 but with an MMU so the Pandora doesn't have an external MMU.
Anyway an MMU isn't required for multitasking, it just handles a lot of the overhead required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro