3ds debricking assistance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my 3ds is bricked, n2dsxl if it matters, its the blue screen of death. i cannot boot into godmode9 or luma as far as i know, and the screws on the back are "screwed" up, so i cant open the backplate. Even if i did get a flashcart, i dont think i could run it because my 3ds for some reason refused to run ds hardware, or anything that appears as ds hardware on the home menu. i have lazarus on my sd, i just need to force my 3ds into godmode9, can someone please tell me what to do?

please help
Thanks in advance

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my 3ds is bricked, n2dsxl if it matters, its the blue screen of death.
"Bricked" is a rather useless term. "Blue screen of death" is considerably more descriptive. What would be even better is if you could say exactly what it says on the screen.

Even better would be if you said exactly what you were doing with this unit before you got to the "blue screen of death".

Even if i did get a flashcart, i dont think i could run it because my 3ds for some reason refused to run ds hardware, or anything that appears as ds hardware on the home menu.
ntrboot is a function of the bootrom and is unrelated to any functionality (or lack thereof) available from the home menu.

Besides, it's not like there's anything else you can do; what were you expecting!?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Bricked" is a rather useless term. "Blue screen of death" is considerably more descriptive. What would be even better is if you could say exactly what it says on the screen.
Both the top and bottom screens are fully blue except for some text that reads:
BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800FF
CFDEFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000000 00000000Even better would be if you said exactly what you were doing with this unit before you got to the "blue screen of death".
Even better would be if you said exactly what you were doing with this unit before you got to the "blue screen of death".
I was playing tdmf (Denpa Ningen No RPG FREE) I was on an event stage, talking to a merchant dwarf, i had my 3ds closed a while before that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately, no, it will not help me, because that uses an r4 cartridge, which i do not have or will be able to use because again, my ds software doesnt work, but thanks for looking anyways

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
because that uses an r4 cartridge, which i do not have or will be able to use because again, my ds software doesnt work
Sir, did you even read my post!? Because if you're not going to bother reading what people are writing, there's no point in looking for help here.

It does not matter if your DS mode was somehow broken. ntrboot using a flashcart relies on entirely separate functionality in your 3DS!

More importantly, there is nothing else you can do at this point. There is no way you are going to somehow magically be able to use godmode9 without an ntrboot flashcart with your 3DS in this state!

If you're worried about flashing a cart with ntrboot, then you can always get a pre-flashed one. The Ace3DS X seems to be popular lately.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok sorry i tend to miss things when reading long pieces of text
Sir, did you even read my post!? Because if you're not going to bother reading what people are writing, there's no point in looking for help here.

It does not matter if your DS mode was somehow broken. ntrboot using a flashcart relies on entirely separate functionality in your 3DS!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
was playing tdmf (Denpa Ningen No RPG FREE) I was on an event stage, talking to a merchant dwarf, i had my 3ds closed a while before that.
That does not sound good. Normal operation should never corrupt boot partitions.

You can try repairing the damage by rebuilding NSCD header with GodMode9
rebuild_nscd-png.376390
and reinstalling B9S afterwards. This covers both obvious software caused 8046 Bootrom Error reasons.

my ds software doesnt work
This is a mistake many did before you. While NTR-001 is the model number of the first DS system and ntrboot refers to booting from an NTR (DS cart), this does not mean normal game software. Some people even wanted to start Mario Kart DS with a magnet and the ntrboot combination.
It does not work this way. The inserted cart must be NTR type from the hardware perspective and the data protocol. The software on it must be in 3DS FIRM format. Theoretically only signed by Nintendo's private key… but thanks to a error in signature check we can fake a signature and start our own stuff (Nintendo would never be so nice and share their official repair tool).
When triggering sleep with a magnet and holding (Start)+(Select)+(X)+(Power) a few seconds a 3DS tries to load software from NTR cart ignoring the internal NAND memory. This should even work if you physically desolder the NAND chip.

Long story short: In case of real bootrom error (and not some kind of prank splash screen) the only practical thing you can try is ntrboot. Please do not attempt to hardmod. This can do less and has a high chance of screwing things up for good.

Good luck and have fun!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In theory: having done that very same thing, it doesn't seem to.
I'll try to remember that. I've not tried such extreme things like desoldering NAND myself. I would screw up!

It would be of no use anyway. I've tried booting into EmuNAND after having trashed FIRM0 and FIRM1 but failed. Having FIRM0 intact and the rest of the NAND trashed it worked (maybe a limitation of Luma3DS?).

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to replace a failed nand with an SD card, but, alas, it didn't work. NTRBoot just launched a black screen (instead of the blue one when launching the console regularly, as shown in this topic)
The reason it doesn't work with SD cards is that b9s and other common homebrew FIRMs use a driver that is hardcoded to expect eMMC. Unfortunately eMMC and SD init differ slightly so it will fail with a SD card. boot9 and HOS have no issues with SD cards as internal storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto