Hacking TWN firmware outdated?

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
I installed TWN firmware via CTRTransfer (region change method with 3DS hacks guide) - it seems like the latest firmware for this region is still 11.16?

I tried to update the system afterwards, but it says the system is at newest firmware version. It seems it also broke a lot of Home Menu banners

Is there a 11.17 TWN firmware somewhere? Or is this region definitely stuck at 11.16?

(please do not ask why I changed the region, just tell me the actual answer)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I installed TWN firmware via CTRTransfer (region change method with 3DS hacks guide) - it seems like the latest firmware for this region is still 11.16?

I tried to update the system afterwards, but it says the system is at newest firmware version. It seems it also broke a lot of Home Menu banners

Is there a 11.17 TWN firmware somewhere? Or is this region definitely stuck at 11.16?

(please do not ask why I changed the region, just tell me the actual answer)
People will kinda what to know why you done that. But as for 11.16. It seems to be the most recent for that region.

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
11.17 was only for USA/EUR/JPN
so not even for KOR? (noticed KOR has firmware for N3DS/N2DS too so maybe this region has 11.17)

I am wondering though what region would be the N3DS/N2DS sold in Taiwan/Hong Kong?

So many questions, but no answers. I would stay with TWN 11.16 but as I said it breaks Home Menu banners and has some other bugs with CFW which annoys me

(reason I do it is to change system language, it is stupid it is locked behind regions)

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so not even for KOR? (noticed KOR has firmware for N3DS/N2DS too so maybe this region has 11.17)

I am wondering though what region would be the N3DS/N2DS sold in Taiwan/Hong Kong?

So many questions, but no answers. I would stay with TWN 11.16 but as I said it breaks Home Menu banners and has some other bugs with CFW which annoys me

(reason I do it is to change system language, it is stupid it is locked behind regions)
11.17.0-50: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=2023-05-23_00-00-33&sys=ctr
11.16.0.49: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=2022-09-13_00-00-33&sys=ctr
11.16.0-48: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=2022-08-30_00-00-33&sys=ctr

Latest one for KOR/TWN/CHN was 11.16.0. The two updates after that are only for USA/EUR/JPN.

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
disappointed... so have to use the JPN firmware then since I cannot find a fix for the buggy banners

thanks for help

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
This is one of the most irrational 3DS threads I've seen in a long time, and that's saying something.

Literally just fanboying over firmware versions that have no important differences except to those without cfw.

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
This is one of the most irrational 3DS threads I've seen in a long time, and that's saying something.

Literally just fanboying over firmware versions that have no important differences except to those without cfw.
nobody is forcing you to reply?? just scroll and don't be an asshole

I already said it's because of system language and some profile location stuff, which is locked behind regions (otherwise I would not bother)

why do you have to be so mean?

• Haha
Reactions: tmnr1992

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

It was probably the region change that broke the banners. Sometimes a factory reset is needed after region change.

Reactions: anotherthing

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
nobody is forcing you to reply?? just scroll and don't be an asshole

I already said it's because of system language and some profile location stuff, which is locked behind regions (otherwise I would not bother)

why do you have to be so mean?
I stigmatize heavy nand modifications (like ctr-nand transfers) out of concern for users, not to try to be an "asshole". I write exploits for the 3ds in hopes that people will use their elevated system privileges to enhance their 3ds experience, not degrade it (as so often happens with heavy nand mods).

I know using a familiar language for menu navigation is preferred, but I still don't think that's a good enough reason to destabilize your system's nand. Case in point, I have no issue making my way around a Japanese 3ds, even though I understand 0% of the language. Still, I know it's your call since it's your 3ds, but I don't want other impressionable minds reading this thread and thinking ctrnand transfer is a great idea for tweaking their preferences. That's why I didn't "just scroll past", I felt I needed to speak up because it affects others.

Also, thinking 11.16 is superior to 11.17 for the reason you mentioned just isn't true, for the reason Jdbye mentions. The home menu title only changed between those firms for the US region.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I stigmatize heavy nand modifications (like ctr-nand transfers) out of concern for users, not to try to be an "asshole".
CTRTransfer is done and recommended too often when other options exist or when it does not help.

But I do have to say I've done quite some nonsense in this regard myself (with proper backup of course).

Reactions: zoogie

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
I stigmatize heavy nand modifications (like ctr-nand transfers) out of concern for users, not to try to be an "asshole". I write exploits for the 3ds in hopes that people will use their elevated system privileges to enhance their 3ds experience, not degrade it (as so often happens with heavy nand mods).

I know using a familiar language for menu navigation is preferred, but I still don't think that's a good enough reason to destabilize your system's nand. Case in point, I have no issue making my way around a Japanese 3ds, even though I understand 0% of the language. Still, I know it's your call since it's your 3ds, but I don't want other impressionable minds reading this thread and thinking ctrnand transfer is a great idea for tweaking their preferences. That's why I didn't "just scroll past", I felt I needed to speak up because it affects others.

Also, thinking 11.16 is superior to 11.17 for the reason you mentioned just isn't true, for the reason Jdbye mentions. The home menu title only changed between those firms for the US region.
erm, nobody wanted your concern troll. I am not changing the region for the first time, so I know the potential risk of a brick and I am prepared for it

I simply asked because of curiosity, nothing else. Please voice your concerns for noobs in a different place

---

Anyways, I want to thank everyone who has taken their time to answer me politely. There are still some things I am wondering about (two blank Home Menu items with black square as an icon, which only previously happened to me when I installed CFW and the 3DS still was not updated, not sure what causes this) and if there is any way to get rid of it

It was probably the region change that broke the banners. Sometimes a factory reset is needed after region change.
So best way is to backup installed games and then factory reset the console after region change?
If so, this sounds simple and should erase my worries, thank you

• Haha
Reactions: tmnr1992

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean "concern trolling" not that he is a troll.
Either way, it was uncalled and unasked for
This is a public forum which gets indexed by search engines.
Not a private help desk.

If you don't need any "noob lectures" this is fine. Random visitors coming from search engines might not have the needed state of knowledge. Mentioning potential pitfalls is a valid thing -- and a thread creator does not have to "call for it".

Bickering is not going to help you or anybody else. I suggest a bit more friendliness. You will get more replies in the long run when being friendly.

Reactions: CoolMe and tmnr1992

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There are still some things I am wondering about (two blank Home Menu items with black square as an icon, which only previously happened to me when I installed CFW and the 3DS still was not updated, not sure what causes this) and if there is any way to get rid of it
Black icons are not related to region change and won't be fixed by a factory reset, I'm afraid.
That issue seems to be related to CFW's region free patch for HOME Menu (funnily enough, Gateway's RF patch doesn't have that problem), because those icons don't appear when that patch isn't applied.
Same thing can be seen on other regions' firmwares too, but usually only for some really old versions, while TWN firmware is the only one where that bug persist even on the latest one.

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
Black icons are not related to region change and won't be fixed by a factory reset, I'm afraid.
That issue seems to be related to CFW's region free patch for HOME Menu (funnily enough, Gateway's RF patch doesn't have that problem), because those icons don't appear when that patch isn't applied.
Same thing can be seen on other regions' firmwares too, but usually only for some really old versions, while TWN firmware is the only one where that bug persist even on the latest one.
sad, I just learned that TWN firmware has no support for themes either :(

Will have to revert back to what I had

Do you know if at least there is a way to change menu language or location spoof in System Settings without CTRTransfer? maybe I won't have to hop between firmware all the time

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Do you know if at least there is a way to change menu language or location spoof in System Settings without CTRTransfer? maybe I won't have to hop between firmware all the time
There's no way to fully change system language without changing the entire firmware. :(
For games it's possible to spoof languages and locations through Luma's locale emulation feature, but that won't work for system titles.
Some people have been doing custom translations for HOME Menu, so maybe you can try making one using files from official TWN firmware as a reference, but that still won't be full region change, of course.

I suppose there's also an option of setting up an emuNAND to make switching between firmwares easier…
Though it's usually not recommended here, as most users don't need it, but it might actually be a suitable solution for your case.
Heck, I personally still have multiple SD cards with emuNANDs for every available region that I use for testing various stuff.

Last edited by redunka,

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
Some people have been doing custom translations for HOME Menu, so maybe you can try making one using files from official TWN firmware as a reference, but that still won't be full region change, of course.
will look into it, sadly I do not have a lot of free time on my hands for it but might do something one day

For games it's possible to spoof languages and locations through Luma's locale emulation feature, but that won't work for system titles.
This seems to be an optimal solution for me, as I could not figure out how to change location for games like Pokemon X (tried to edit the location in save file but it would always revert to what the 3DS displayed - Japanese location), and now I found a guide, thank you ~

Reactions: redunka

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto