Tutorial  Updated

EmuMMC setup Win/Linux & Quadboot

Ensure you have a pre-cfw CLEAN NAND backup if you want to use sysnand for online

File based EmuMMC is working but if you use FAT32 it is very limited and heavily bottlenecked, if you decide to use exFAT then it is very unstable and can corrupt your SD card easily; as of now use partition based as file based is very slow/unstable!!

Rewriting guide with NYX in mind alongside quad boot files for that.

Pre-Setup [Win/Linux]

• Dump your NAND via hekate or use a clean dumped nand(you need to dump BOOT0/BOOT1 and rawnand) ENSURE AUTORCM IS TURNED OFF!
  • Merge these into one file using:

Linux cmd:
    cat BOOT0 BOOT1 rawnand.bin.00 rawnand.bin.01 rawnand.bin.02 rawnand.bin.03 rawnand.bin.04 rawnand.bin.05 rawnand.bin.06 rawnand.bin.07 rawnand.bin.08 rawnand.bin.09 rawnand.bin.10 rawnand.bin.11 rawnand.bin.12 rawnand.bin.13 rawnand.bin.14 > emummc.bin

Windows cmd:
    copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin.00+rawnand.bin.01+rawnand.bin.02+rawnand.bin.03+rawnand.bin.04+rawnand.bin.05+rawnand.bin.06+rawnand.bin.07+rawnand.bin.08+rawnand.bin.09+rawnand.bin.10+rawnand.bin.11+rawnand.bin.12+rawnand.bin.13+rawnand.bin.14 emummc.bin
  • If you are using a single file dumped nand then:
    Linux cmd:
    cat BOOT0 BOOT1 rawnand.bin > emummc.bin

Windows cmd:
copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin emummc.bin

Setting up EmuMMC[Linux]
  1. Format your SD, clear any partitions and etc.
  2. Create your normal partition (MAKE SURE IT IS FAT32 AND 32K CLUSTER).
  3. Leave enough space to fit the NAND image.
  4. Make that last partition FAT32 aswell
  5. Identify the partition address */dev/xxx
  6. Use this command to write your complete emummc image to the EmuNand partition we made earlier:
    sudo dd if=<your_emummc_bin> bs=512M of=<Step 5, partition add> status=progress
  7. Once this is done download the latest AMS and Hekate.
  8. Download the EmuMMC config and create a folder named "emummc" then paste it there..
  9. Use a tool like GParted to find the first sector of the partition holding the EmuNAND
  10. Convert the value from step 8 to hexadecimal > just google <number> to hexadecimal ; it should give out a number such as 0x1039 and etc; IF on the case that it gives one like say 800 then it'll be 0x800.
  11. SOMETIMES EmuMMC may not work fully with "0x" infront of the sector, it's hit & miss.
  12. edit the config file in emummc with this value.

Setting up EmuMMC[Windows10]
Install tools:
Steps:
  • Using the partition tool, delete all partitions on the sd (all data on the sd will be gone)
  • Create the first partition at the start of the table, make this a Fat32 32K Cluster partition, leave 31GB at the end of the table.
  • Format the end partition as FAT32 aswell, cluster size does not matter.
  • kDBr7Jn.png
  • Using CMD cd into the folder where you have your emuMMC files and dd.
  • Figure out what partition you will specificy to DD by using running the cmd dd --list
  • Wbz3er0.png
  • As you can see K: is my EmuMMC partition and it is linked to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume19, this is the disk we will write to via DD.
  • Using the CMD dd if=<your_emummc_bin_path> bs=512M of=<Disk we identified on previous step> --progress image your EmuMMC onto the last partition.
  • Once the last partition has your EmuMMC, start setting up AMS and Hekate, download Atmosphere CFW and Hekate.
  • Copy AMS + Hekate onto your SD
  • Download the EmuMMC config and create a folder named "emummc" then paste it there.
  • Find your first sector by using the disk tool, right click your EmuMMC partition > properties > partition info > first physical sector.
  • Convert the number to hexadecimal by going on google and searching <Number> to hexadecimal ; a value such as 0x492A3900 or etc will show.
  • SOMETIMES EmuMMC may not work fully with "0x" infront of the sector, it's hit & miss.
  • Open emummc folder on your sd then open the config and paste the hexadecimal number over the existing one.
  • Launch hekate then atmosphere, if it is all done right you should be in EmuMMC

Dual/Triple/Quad boot[L4T Ubuntu/Lakka, Stock-Sys, EmuNand]
Notes:
  • No I won't sit you through this, the process is already laid out there.
  • If you decide to use exFAT I won't really help.
  • You can do the partitioning and file merging on windows but I don't know any tool to write the image to a specific partition.
  • There is NO such thing as *Cleaning* your NAND, if you don't have a clean backup then bad luck, you can maybe get away with clearing logs if you haven't been online for a long time but even then I wouldn't suggest it; should've made a clean NAND backup, I won't guide you through any of that.
CLICK HERE FOR EMUMMC CONFIG

DISCLAIMER: I am not resposible for you killing your switch, bricking it from the failure to make a NAND backup; I am in no way obliged to provide you personal support nor am I obliged to do anything else; I'm not resposible for you messing up your SD Card either.

Windows guide:

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
the benefit im referring to is that emunand can be recreated over and over and over again.

I don't see how anyone who went through the (documented) process of this could not know this. Was your goal to state the obvious or were you just saying it for some onlooker who might not have a clue of what's going on this thread?

atmosphere released 0.9.1 which covers Nintendo’s 8.1.0. I would say the only option you have is to rinse and repeat....

It looks like the solution might be to update the kip files. I'll have to check back on that. Thanks @TariqSoftDev

RyanfromWork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how anyone who went through the (documented) process of this could not know this. Was your goal to state the obvious or were you just saying it for some onlooker who might not have a clue of what's going on this thread?

It looks like the solution might be to update the kip files. I'll have to check back on that. Thanks @TariqSoftDev

Sorry man. It was obvious... but I’m not sure why you mention something that had a common sense answer...

Ooh I definitely do not have any clue to what is going on in this thread. Zero. But I did figure it out and I updated my emuMMC to 8.1.0 without anything breaking. So probably around as much as you know?

Bro bro. I only tried to help. I hope you get it resolved.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry man. It was obvious... but I’m not sure why you mention something that had a common sense answer...

Ooh I definitely do not have any clue to what is going on in this thread. Zero. But I did figure it out and I updated my emuMMC to 8.1.0 without anything breaking. So probably around as much as you know?

Purpose of it was that if there's anything wrong atmos side it can be figured out by using the EmuMMC driver for deug purposes, that's all.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Purpose of it was that if there's anything wrong atmos side it can be figured out by using the EmuMMC driver for deug purposes, that's all.

I am happy to say that the problem was that I was using the original kip files that were posted. Because I had already rewrote my 8.0.1 emummc to retry the update with the new kip, I am not 100% sure if replacing the kip after the fact would have fixed it, so I can't confirm that aspect. Also, thanks @thaikhoa for the input.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've updated my system to 8.1, burning fuses (no big deal for me). Today fighting with Lego Worlds (showed a message with the error 2002-4373 on game boot) I've cleaned the nand using the option on the system, still no go (deleting settings or whatever). I managed to crash the poor thing, stuck on Switch logo.

I'm now rewriting my EmuMMC, hoping to at least having the chance for my girl to play Hello Kitty Kruisers.
I'll pay for Lego Worlds (if at a discount someday), with that I have no problem, but the Hello Kitty game is trash.

Oh well, lets see if I manage to save Lego Worlds for the time being.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've updated my system to 8.1, burning fuses (no big deal for me). Today fighting with Lego Worlds (showed a message with the error 2002-4373 on game boot) I've cleaned the nand using the option on the system, still no go (deleting settings or whatever). I managed to crash the poor thing, stuck on Switch logo.

I'm now rewriting my EmuMMC, hoping to at least having the chance for my girl to play Hello Kitty Kruisers.
I'll pay for Lego Worlds (if at a discount someday), with that I have no problem, but the Hello Kitty game is trash.

Oh well, lets see if I manage to save Lego Worlds for the time being.

The error code is related to a data read error. Have you ever used h2testw or another tool to determine the integrity of your sd card? As for what you did "clean the NAND", I don't know what you mean by that. I was saying in the prior post to delete the game, install it again (reinstalling NCAs). The only reasons it wouldn't work is either a)Bad Media b)Bad Source c)Bad installation.

Speeko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not yet. Rename rawnand.bin to 00 along with boot0 and boot1 place all files in emummc/emummc.ini > emummc_path=
Thanks. That got me past the "EmuMMC folder now found". Now it hangs on a black screen after pushing the payload and remains in RCM - is this the same behaviour you are getting?

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. That got me past the "EmuMMC folder now found". Now it hangs on a black screen after pushing the payload and remains in RCM - is this the same behaviour you are getting?
Don't use file based yet, the Fat32 formatted SD cards are under heavy bottle neck and exFAT will just easily corrupt, it's either slow emuMMC or corruption risk with loose file based

Reactions: tabzer

idontknowyo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Don't use file based yet, the Fat32 formatted SD cards are under heavy bottle neck and exFAT will just easily corrupt, it's either slow emuMMC or corruption risk with loose file based

I got it to work. Had to compile a new emummc.kip myself. It was very very slow tho so not worth it (yet).

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a situation.

When I shutdown from emummc and then try to boot the switch regularly, it gets frozen on the switch logo. When it does this, I have to press the power button and it shuts off immediately. Pressing the power button again starts the switch normally and I no longer experience that freeze, until after the next time I switch from using Emummc again. Is this happening to others?

Reactions: ELY_M and hipmp5

GreenLink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When I shutdown from emummc and then try to boot the switch regularly, it gets frozen on the switch logo. When it does this, I have to press the power button and it shuts off immediately. Pressing the power button again starts the switch normally and I no longer experience that freeze, until after the next time I switch from using Emummc again. Is this happening to others?

Yea, I have the same issue and my heart nearly stopped when it happened the first time.

Reactions: tabzer

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The error code is related to a data read error. Have you ever used h2testw or another tool to determine the integrity of your sd card? As for what you did "clean the NAND", I don't know what you mean by that. I was saying in the prior post to delete the game, install it again (reinstalling NCAs). The only reasons it wouldn't work is either a)Bad Media b)Bad Source c)Bad installation.
Thanks, man. I decided to reinstall the EmuNand because of reasons. And I reinstalled the game a bunch of times.

Yes, my card *might* be the culprit. I hope it is not, because all else works perfectly.

I've instaled the game in the Emu system storage and in the Sd card to the same result, so I think that there might be some weird stuff going on.
I used ReiNX and now Atmosphere, and that particular game might have issues? Strange that Hello Kitty just works, saves and all.

Or all else failing, I'll revert to my original clean backup and go at it.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Alright if you guys don't mind formally do a write up of it and send it to me; I also got the issue; I'll push this to the EmuMMC/Atmos Git as a issue

I described it as best as I could. I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you post this as an issue to the github, I could possibly chime in saying that I have the same issue. You can go as far as copy/paste what I said.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks, man. I decided to reinstall the EmuNand because of reasons. And I reinstalled the game a bunch of times.

Yes, my card *might* be the culprit. I hope it is not, because all else works perfectly.

I've instaled the game in the Emu system storage and in the Sd card to the same result, so I think that there might be some weird stuff going on.
I used ReiNX and now Atmosphere, and that particular game might have issues? Strange that Hello Kitty just works, saves and all.

Or all else failing, I'll revert to my original clean backup and go at it.

I had something like this happen to me with another game. A corrupted file got stuck in my nintendo directory on my SD card so it could never be removed or replaced with a working file, and the only way I could fix it was by deleting the whole Nintendo directory and re-installing everything.

Last edited by tabzer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...