Tutorial  Updated

EmuMMC setup Win/Linux & Quadboot

Ensure you have a pre-cfw CLEAN NAND backup if you want to use sysnand for online

File based EmuMMC is working but if you use FAT32 it is very limited and heavily bottlenecked, if you decide to use exFAT then it is very unstable and can corrupt your SD card easily; as of now use partition based as file based is very slow/unstable!!

Rewriting guide with NYX in mind alongside quad boot files for that.

Pre-Setup [Win/Linux]

• Dump your NAND via hekate or use a clean dumped nand(you need to dump BOOT0/BOOT1 and rawnand) ENSURE AUTORCM IS TURNED OFF!
  • Merge these into one file using:

Linux cmd:
    cat BOOT0 BOOT1 rawnand.bin.00 rawnand.bin.01 rawnand.bin.02 rawnand.bin.03 rawnand.bin.04 rawnand.bin.05 rawnand.bin.06 rawnand.bin.07 rawnand.bin.08 rawnand.bin.09 rawnand.bin.10 rawnand.bin.11 rawnand.bin.12 rawnand.bin.13 rawnand.bin.14 > emummc.bin

Windows cmd:
    copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin.00+rawnand.bin.01+rawnand.bin.02+rawnand.bin.03+rawnand.bin.04+rawnand.bin.05+rawnand.bin.06+rawnand.bin.07+rawnand.bin.08+rawnand.bin.09+rawnand.bin.10+rawnand.bin.11+rawnand.bin.12+rawnand.bin.13+rawnand.bin.14 emummc.bin
  • If you are using a single file dumped nand then:
    Linux cmd:
    cat BOOT0 BOOT1 rawnand.bin > emummc.bin

Windows cmd:
copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin emummc.bin

Setting up EmuMMC[Linux]
  1. Format your SD, clear any partitions and etc.
  2. Create your normal partition (MAKE SURE IT IS FAT32 AND 32K CLUSTER).
  3. Leave enough space to fit the NAND image.
  4. Make that last partition FAT32 aswell
  5. Identify the partition address */dev/xxx
  6. Use this command to write your complete emummc image to the EmuNand partition we made earlier:
    sudo dd if=<your_emummc_bin> bs=512M of=<Step 5, partition add> status=progress
  7. Once this is done download the latest AMS and Hekate.
  8. Download the EmuMMC config and create a folder named "emummc" then paste it there..
  9. Use a tool like GParted to find the first sector of the partition holding the EmuNAND
  10. Convert the value from step 8 to hexadecimal > just google <number> to hexadecimal ; it should give out a number such as 0x1039 and etc; IF on the case that it gives one like say 800 then it'll be 0x800.
  11. SOMETIMES EmuMMC may not work fully with "0x" infront of the sector, it's hit & miss.
  12. edit the config file in emummc with this value.

Setting up EmuMMC[Windows10]
Install tools:
Steps:
  • Using the partition tool, delete all partitions on the sd (all data on the sd will be gone)
  • Create the first partition at the start of the table, make this a Fat32 32K Cluster partition, leave 31GB at the end of the table.
  • Format the end partition as FAT32 aswell, cluster size does not matter.
  • kDBr7Jn.png
  • Using CMD cd into the folder where you have your emuMMC files and dd.
  • Figure out what partition you will specificy to DD by using running the cmd dd --list
  • Wbz3er0.png
  • As you can see K: is my EmuMMC partition and it is linked to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume19, this is the disk we will write to via DD.
  • Using the CMD dd if=<your_emummc_bin_path> bs=512M of=<Disk we identified on previous step> --progress image your EmuMMC onto the last partition.
  • Once the last partition has your EmuMMC, start setting up AMS and Hekate, download Atmosphere CFW and Hekate.
  • Copy AMS + Hekate onto your SD
  • Download the EmuMMC config and create a folder named "emummc" then paste it there.
  • Find your first sector by using the disk tool, right click your EmuMMC partition > properties > partition info > first physical sector.
  • Convert the number to hexadecimal by going on google and searching <Number> to hexadecimal ; a value such as 0x492A3900 or etc will show.
  • SOMETIMES EmuMMC may not work fully with "0x" infront of the sector, it's hit & miss.
  • Open emummc folder on your sd then open the config and paste the hexadecimal number over the existing one.
  • Launch hekate then atmosphere, if it is all done right you should be in EmuMMC

Dual/Triple/Quad boot[L4T Ubuntu/Lakka, Stock-Sys, EmuNand]
Notes:
  • No I won't sit you through this, the process is already laid out there.
  • If you decide to use exFAT I won't really help.
  • You can do the partitioning and file merging on windows but I don't know any tool to write the image to a specific partition.
  • There is NO such thing as *Cleaning* your NAND, if you don't have a clean backup then bad luck, you can maybe get away with clearing logs if you haven't been online for a long time but even then I wouldn't suggest it; should've made a clean NAND backup, I won't guide you through any of that.
CLICK HERE FOR EMUMMC CONFIG

DISCLAIMER: I am not resposible for you killing your switch, bricking it from the failure to make a NAND backup; I am in no way obliged to provide you personal support nor am I obliged to do anything else; I'm not resposible for you messing up your SD Card either.

Windows guide:

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Partition method is actually quite easy but the first post instructions still aren't clear enough. The video along with it cast light on the stuff that wasn't clear to me though.

Sent from my VOG-L09/Huawei P30 Pro

evilarceus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Problem solved. Increased the EmuMMC partition a bit, and changed the partition type to W95 FAT32 (LBA) instead of W95 FAT32. Pretty sure it was most likely the partition size that fixed it.

Followed the guide, not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

fdisk output:

Disk /dev/sdb: 59.6 GiB, 64021856256 bytes, 125042688 sectors
Disk model: Multi-Card
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1 2048 63735807 63733760 30.4G b W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2 63735808 125042687 61306880 29.2G b W95 FAT32

(emummc.bin was copied to /dev/sdb2 using sudo dd if=emummc.bin bs=512M of=/dev/sdb2 status=progress)

ls -l emummc.bin output:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31276924928 Jun 21 12:57 emummc.bin

I set the start sector in my config to 0x03B2C800 (also tried 03B2C800, 0x3B2C800, and 0x03B2C800) and I get "[NXBOOT] Failed to mount EmuMMC from SD card partition!" when loading the Atmosphere payload with fusee-primary. Is there a way to get an output from Atmosphere that's possibly more verbose? (unless you guys can see the issue with my config)

Last edited by evilarceus,

condemned_coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Problem solved. Increased the EmuMMC partition a bit, and changed the partition type to W95 FAT32 (LBA) instead of W95 FAT32. Pretty sure it was most likely the partition size that fixed it.

Followed the guide, not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

fdisk output:

Disk /dev/sdb: 59.6 GiB, 64021856256 bytes, 125042688 sectors
Disk model: Multi-Card
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1 2048 63735807 63733760 30.4G b W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2 63735808 125042687 61306880 29.2G b W95 FAT32

(emummc.bin was copied to /dev/sdb2 using sudo dd if=emummc.bin bs=512M of=/dev/sdb2 status=progress)

ls -l emummc.bin output:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31276924928 Jun 21 12:57 emummc.bin

I set the start sector in my config to 0x03B2C800 (also tried 03B2C800, 0x3B2C800, and 0x03B2C800) and I get "[NXBOOT] Failed to mount EmuMMC from SD card partition!" when loading the Atmosphere payload with fusee-primary. Is there a way to get an output from Atmosphere that's possibly more verbose? (unless you guys can see the issue with my config)

Yep your partition was too small. 30.4G vs the emummc.bin being 31.3GB :)

Speeko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if incognito works with EmuMMC?

I want to use EmuMMC offline, but keep my Sysnand for online stuff - not sure if incognito targets the Emunand correctly

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does anyone know if incognito works with EmuMMC?

I want to use EmuMMC offline, but keep my Sysnand for online stuff - not sure if incognito targets the Emunand correctly

It works but you have to set it up on the first place using another unprotected cal0 cfw.

Reactions: tabzer

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I have a situation.

When I shutdown from emummc and then try to boot the switch regularly, it gets frozen on the switch logo. When it does this, I have to press the power button and it shuts off immediately. Pressing the power button again starts the switch normally and I no longer experience that freeze, until after the next time I switch from using Emummc again. Is this happening to others?

Same issue is happening to me, made me kinda of scared to use emunand...

Reactions: ELY_M

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Right, which makes it understandable to be a low priority bug, but it would be nice to find a fix sooner than later. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm curious to what major bugs still exist.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I still can't boot Lego Worlds. Please, can someone test this for me? I'm starting to think that it might be a card speed issue. The EmuMMC is slower, so that might be an issue.

I didn't try any other game except Lego Worlds and Kitty Kart (the last one works ok).

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I still can't boot Lego Worlds. Please, can someone test this for me? I'm starting to think that it might be a card speed issue. The EmuMMC is slower, so that might be an issue.

I didn't try any other game except Lego Worlds and Kitty Kart (the last one works ok).

Try to install it on SD card instead of on emunand.

Reactions: ELY_M

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Try to install it on SD card instead of on emunand.
Done that already, you sexy hunk.
I also deleted ALL tickets from my NAND using tinfoil and GoldLeaf.

I had something like this happen to me with another game. A corrupted file got stuck in my nintendo directory on my SD card so it could never be removed or replaced with a working file, and the only way I could fix it was by deleting the whole Nintendo directory and re-installing everything.
Did that as well.

Also, reinitialized the console using Maintenance mode and set it up to factory defaults.

Last edited by eyeliner,

Hanekawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Currently on 6.2.0 on my emuNAND, thanks to this guide. I'm pretty new to the switch hacking in general so I'm wondering, how can I update my emuNAND to later firmware? I already know how to update my sysNAND (using ChoiDujourNX) but is the set up any different for emuNAND? How can I do it without updating my sysNAND but only my emuNAND?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Done that already, you sexy hunk.
I also deleted ALL tickets from my NAND using tinfoil and GoldLeaf.

Did that as well.

Also, reinitialized the console using Maintenance mode and set it up to factory defaults.
I tested it. It works for me. :/

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently on 6.2.0 on my emuNAND, thanks to this guide. I'm pretty new to the switch hacking in general so I'm wondering, how can I update my emuNAND to later firmware? I already know how to update my sysNAND (using ChoiDujourNX) but is the set up any different for emuNAND? How can I do it without updating my sysNAND but only my emuNAND?
No different process; all the same.

Reactions: Hanekawa

Peeta01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No different process; all the same.
Want to confirm..... to update sysnand I go into cfw and use ChoiDujourNX. If I want to update emunand I do the same. By going into cfw and update would my sysnand still be considered clean and still be able to go online without ban and keep my fuses?

Last edited by Peeta01,

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Want to confirm..... to update sysnand I go into cfw and use ChoiDujourNX. If I want to update emunand I do the same. By going into cfw and update would my sysnand still be considered clean?
If SysNand is not being used for CFW stuff; update it norm but cfw EmuMMC = ChoiDujourNX

ottos1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can somone help me figure out why i cant flash to sd card my emmunand? im on linux, here's what i see:

sudo dd if=/home/xxxxx/Desktop/backup/emmc.bin of=/dev/mmcblkp2 status=progress

3960239616 bytes (4.0 GB, 3.7 GiB) copied, 15 s, 264 MB/s

dd: writing to '/dev/mmcblkp2': No space left on device

8000721+0 records in

8000720+0 records out

4096368640 bytes (4.1 GB, 3.8 GiB) copied, 15.5001 s, 264 MB/s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1