[EmuMMC setup Win/Linux]&[Quadboot]

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by TariqSoftDev, Jun 18, 2019.

1. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Ensure you have a pre-cfw CLEAN NAND backup if you want to use sysnand for online

File based EmuMMC is working but if you use FAT32 it is very limited and heavily bottlenecked, if you decide to use exFAT then it is very unstable and can corrupt your SD card easily; as of now use partition based as file based is very slow/unstable!!

Rewriting guide with NYX in mind alongside quad boot files for that.

Pre-Setup [Win/Linux]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Setting up EmuMMC[Linux]

Setting up EmuMMC[Windows10]

Dual/Triple/Quad boot[L4T Ubuntu/Lakka, Stock-Sys, EmuNand]
    Notes:
    • No I won't sit you through this, the process is already laid out there.
    • If you decide to use exFAT I won't really help.
    • You can do the partitioning and file merging on windows but I don't know any tool to write the image to a specific partition.
    • There is NO such thing as *Cleaning* your NAND, if you don't have a clean backup then bad luck, you can maybe get away with clearing logs if you haven't been online for a long time but even then I wouldn't suggest it; should've made a clean NAND backup, I won't guide you through any of that.
    CLICK HERE FOR EMUMMC CONFIG

DISCLAIMER: I am not resposible for you killing your switch, bricking it from the failure to make a NAND backup; I am in no way obliged to provide you personal support nor am I obliged to do anything else; I'm not resposible for you messing up your SD Card either.

Windows guide:

Last edited by TariqSoftDev, Jun 30, 2019
    Upaluppa, atoxique, eyeliner and 2 others like this.
  2. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    [RESERVED]

3. AD2076

AD2076 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    Italy
    If you write a "PROPER" how-to you are obliged to write it properly, without misleading information.
    If the converted number is something like 800 then write 0x800 etc.

annson24 and DarknessPlay3r like this.
  4. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    In my case google gave out 800 for 2048 which is 0x800; tried and tested; thank's for the nitpick tho ;) , some converters don't give a 0xyyyyy

AD2076 likes this.
  5. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Well... Me and some people I know executed CFW in the past, at the start of the scene, and are clean since we only executed some emulators and litle hombrew apps. Thigs like that wont get you banned and aren't risky. If you are in this same position, don't be afraid. I thought it'd be necesary to post this for some people.

Upaluppa and TariqSoftDev like this.
  6. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    It wasn't misleading. The number he was referring to was the last thing mentioned, the "hexadecimal", or "the converted number" as you want to call it. It could become unclear to those who assume he's shoddy at English, but calling it misleading is misleading.

TariqSoftDev likes this.
  7. AD2076

AD2076 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    Italy
    I am shoddy at English and I am not the only one here. Better safe than sorry.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you for your edit in OP and sorry for being rude

TariqSoftDev and tabzer like this.
  8. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    I'll add to the original post once confirmed; thank you for the info though.

Last edited by TariqSoftDev, Jun 18, 2019
    Bedel likes this.
  9. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Not wantig to correct or something. I really liked your tuto. But just wanted to inform people who read the coments.

TariqSoftDev likes this.
  10. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    I know, more info; the merrier, helps create a more solid guide, one person can't know "everything".

Bedel likes this.
  11. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Pardon my ignorance. Windows 7 didn't allow for mounting multiple partitions, so it added complications that were not covered in the guide. It works with a backwards approach discussed further on.

Last edited by tabzer, Jun 27, 2019 - Reason: Rude
  12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I guess by looking at sector 0, you check the partition table to get the LBA sector start?
    some partition manager are probably providing the starting sector address too.

I didn't look at the video (YT guides are always bad and from n00bs), but I thought the default windows partition manager didn't allow partitioning SD card, so I guess it's using another tool to partition the SD.
    Also, like on 3DS scene, someone will probably release a emuMMC multi partition manager. I'll wait for such a tool :P it'll be easier to dump/restore partition on the SD with a tool.
    There are other solution like using an image burner (we did that on 3DS early EmuNand management), the partition would be at the start of the SD, instead of the end, sector 1. (sector 0 is required for MBR and FAT32 location)

a GUI tool would be easier.
    one where you can choose to format the SD, and choose how many emu partition you want on it. The MBR could hold the starting addresses or number of partitions+start deducted by size, not necessarily official partitions table (or else windows will ask to format them), the MBR has lot of unused addresses.
    then a menu to read/write the partition number from/to a file.
    Ideally, a "verify" option would be added too, to verify all the sectors where successfully written to the SD before mounting it. not sure if required.

Last edited by Cyan, Jun 18, 2019
    Upaluppa and DarkDengar like this.
  13. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Carefully watch the guide, I use the partition manager tool from the desc of the YT vid to check the partition properties and find "First Physical Sector"

loler55 likes this.
  14. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    I have an sd card mounted to drive x. It has 3 partitions. The 3rd partition is the partition I want to DD to. Can you deduce from this?

Attached Files:

• dos.
      dos.png
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
  15. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Most likely Harddisk 3 , partition 1; harddisk 3 is shown as removable media, partition 0 should be your general partition and 1 being the one left for EmuMMC

\\?\Device\HarddiskVolume10

Last edited by TariqSoftDev, Jun 18, 2019
  16. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    But I have 3 partitions on that disk.

17. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Could you show me a picture of your partition table layout?

18. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    It's weird to me because if you look at the top, my z: drive, which is my SD card is linked to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume9, and according to the table below that, \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume9 is associated with HardDisk1\Partition1

19. TariqSoftDev
    OP

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Yeah this one I'm slightly confused sorry to say, double check your drive letter; it's showing Z: as CD-Rom, if it persists it may be the way your pc is mounting the sd card as a CD-ROM

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Alright so yeah, hate to double comment anyways, so your SD card is X, I think you pressed Z on the last comment anyways, so it shows X is linked to partition 9, this would be the first partition at the start, now you have another media linked to Vol8 although it shows Vol8 as being mounted to e: as a fixed drive; if you can confirm the partition at the end of your SD which is sized for the EmuMMC is mounted to drive letter E:, then you want to write to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume8

Now Vol8 shows as being on the same physical disk as Vol9.

20. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan

You are right. I accidentally said Z instead of X (which is the SD Card) If I explore via the partition tool, it says the partition I want is Disk 2 Partition 3, but that doesn't appear in DD --list. Also, it won't allow me to assign more than one partition on the sd card a letter. IDK if it is related. RN I am cloning an EX4 partition, so the image is transitional.

Attached Files: