New Switch OLED Modder, I'm setting up 4 partitions and need help!

CrisMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello folks, I'm modding my Switch OLED with PicoFly and Hakate, using a 1TB SD card. I've been researching a lot, but I can't find a comprehensive and detailed guide on the partitions to create for setting up the SD according to my needs, which include HOS, emuMMC, Linux, and Android.

So, to recap:
1. Is `HOS` the SD partition, right?
2. I need to install emuMMC, and I believe it should be the same size as my NAND in the Switch OLED, which is 64GB, not 32GB as seen in many tutorials. Correct?
3. For the Linux partition, since I'll be installing and trying out many programs, can I allocate around 160GB? Many recommend partitions that seem too small for practical use, in my opinion.
4. Regarding the Android partition, can I create it with 128GB? Many allocate 12 or 32GB, but since I'll be using Android as a TV BOX with my Switch, using KODI and experimenting with various programs and emulators, can I allocate around 128GB?

Each partition I create, before installing the respective OS files, means that each OS sees only that partition and not the extra free GB space in the SD, like for example the partitio `HOS` (the SD space left)?

Before I start, do you have any tips I should be aware of? For example, is it better to format the SD in exFAT, or could there be rare incompatibilities with some software, and would it be advisable to format the SD in FAT32?

Then, the partitions created by HAKATE with various OS, do they create primary partitions separated from each other with their respective file systems on the SD (FAT32, exFAT, or ext4, and so on), or are they containers where the OSs believe they are partitioned on a separate "HDD," and each OS doesn't see the partitions of the others?

I hope there's someone out there who can explain the functioning and concept of these partitions coexisting on the same SD card.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can not have different types of partitions on 1 sd card, like Fat32 and Exfat. The whole card must be formated the same format. I would recommend getting a different sd card for linux/ Android and format to ExFAT, and use FAT32 for the Atmosphere/Switch sd card. -Edit- Guess I was wrong! Sorry OP

Last edited by BigOnYa,

CrisMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can not have different types of partitions on 1 sd card, like Fat32 and Exfat. The whole card must be formated the same format. I would recommend getting a different sd card for linux/ Android and format to ExFAT, and use FAT32 for the Atmosphere/Switch sd card.
Thank you for the reply, @BigOnYa. I appreciate your recommendation. However, could you provide specific examples or reasons why it's necessary to use FAT32 for Atmosphere/Switch and ExFAT for Linux/Android?

From what I understand, it's possible to use ExFAT for Atmosphere/Switch as well. What are the drawbacks or limitations associated with this file system? Is it based on personal experience, or are there specific compatibility issues?

If there are no significant issues, I would prefer to use a single SD card and install multiple OSs to avoid switching cards each time. I apologize for my inquiries, but I am eager to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms involved.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exfat on Atmosphere/Switch has more chance of data corruption issues. And FAT32 on Linux/ Android limits you to 4gb file size or less.

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can not have different types of partitions on 1 sd card, like Fat32 and Exfat. The whole card must be formated the same format. I would recommend getting a different sd card for linux/ Android and format to ExFAT, and use FAT32 for the Atmosphere/Switch sd card.

This is wrong and my Switch is a proof of that: I run Atmosphere and Android on the same SD Card. Both use different filesystems (especially Android which needs a ton of different partitions).

Hello folks, I'm modding my Switch OLED with PicoFly and Hakate, using a 1TB SD card. I've been researching a lot, but I can't find a comprehensive and detailed guide on the partitions to create for setting up the SD according to my needs, which include HOS, emuMMC, Linux, and Android.

So, to recap:
1. Is `HOS` the SD partition, right?
2. I need to install emuMMC, and I believe it should be the same size as my NAND in the Switch OLED, which is 64GB, not 32GB as seen in many tutorials. Correct?
3. For the Linux partition, since I'll be installing and trying out many programs, can I allocate around 160GB? Many recommend partitions that seem too small for practical use, in my opinion.
4. Regarding the Android partition, can I create it with 128GB? Many allocate 12 or 32GB, but since I'll be using Android as a TV BOX with my Switch, using KODI and experimenting with various programs and emulators, can I allocate around 128GB?

Each partition I create, before installing the respective OS files, means that each OS sees only that partition and not the extra free GB space in the SD, like for example the partitio `HOS` (the SD space left)?

Before I start, do you have any tips I should be aware of? For example, is it better to format the SD in exFAT, or could there be rare incompatibilities with some software, and would it be advisable to format the SD in FAT32?

Then, the partitions created by HAKATE with various OS, do they create primary partitions separated from each other with their respective file systems on the SD (FAT32, exFAT, or ext4, and so on), or are they containers where the OSs believe they are partitioned on a separate "HDD," and each OS doesn't see the partitions of the others?

I hope there's someone out there who can explain the functioning and concept of these partitions coexisting on the same SD card.

Since you're going with a setup that will include Android and Linux, I recommend you to follow Switchroot's parition docs and Android/Linux install guide which will explain you how to setup the partitions with Hekate. As for your specific questions:

1. HOS is not "the" SD partition, it's one of the multiple partitions on the SD card. This partition will be used by the Switch OS as a storage where you can install your games (works the same with CFW). It can also be accessed from Android as external storage and Linux (by mounting the partition). This means that you want this partition to be as big as possible, mine is around 320 Go on a 500 Go SD card.

2. It is indeed recommend to use the same size as your console MMC which is 64 Go for OLED consoles. Hekate will do that by default for you.

3. It really depends on what you do, the system doesn't take that much storage.

4. You can use any size you need, but same remark as for Linux, Kodi and the system doesn't take much storage. The big files like the media files should either be stored on another device like a NAS or on the HOS partition.

Reactions: CrisMod

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is wrong and my Switch is a proof of that: I run Atmosphere and Android on the same SD Card. Both use different filesystems (especially Android which needs a ton of different partitions).
You may have different file partitions, Sure, but they are all the same type. No way you have FAT32 and ExFAT partitions on the same card/drive. Not possible. -Edit- Guess I was wrong! Sorry OP

Last edited by BigOnYa,

ih8god

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't just send you an image for your SD card if you want to check it out. Might not be exactly what you want but I have SX on like 11.0 or something, a Atmosphere on 16.something, another AMS on current and then left my SYSNAND clean basically.

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You may have different file partitions, but they are all the same type. No way you have FAT32 and ExFAT partitions on the same card/drive. Not possible.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about, please do not spread misinformation like that. That's the whole point of having a partition table: to have multiple partitions of different sizes with different filesystems. You also seem to confuse what is a filesystem (what you seem to call partition type?), partition EmuMMC (storing EmuMMC as a whole partition) and file EmuMMC (storing EmuMMC in a file instead which is then mounted as a partition to the system).

CrisMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You may have different file partitions, but they are all the same type. No way you have FAT32 and ExFAT partitions on the same card/drive. Not possible.
EDITED:
This is perplexing because I think not many people undertake this, and there are numerous confusing pieces of information floating around.

@Eveldee , could you kindly provide more detailed insights on this? I would greatly appreciate it. Later, I'll go through your link, 'Switchroot's partition docs.' If you have any other useful links, I'd be more than happy to follow them.

Thank you, everyone, but here it seems we need some clarification, especially for those who have already attempted it.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You clearly don't know what you are talking about, please do not spread misinformation like that. That's the whole point of having a partition table: to have multiple partitions of different sizes with different filesystems. You also seem to confuse what is a filesystem (what you seem to call partition type?), partition EmuMMC (storing EmuMMC as a whole partition) and file EmuMMC (storing EmuMMC in a file instead which is then mounted as a partition to the system).
Yes you can have as many partitions on a card as you want. But they all have to be the same format -Fat32 or ExFat, but not both. You better go do some more research before bashing others.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

INSTRUMENTAL

-
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes you can have as many partitions on a card as you want. But they all have to be the same format -Fat32 or ExFat, but not both. You better go do some more research before bashing others.
"If you want to run more than one operating system on your machine, you can even create partitions that have different file systems."

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/digi...ave a single,that have different file systems.

You better go do some more research before bashing others.
🙊

Reactions: BigOnYa and CrisMod

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
imaging SD card as hard drive, you could have NTFS, EXFAT, MACOS partition and as many types as you wish.
1708705647302.png

CrisMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
imaging SD card as hard drive, you could have NTFS, EXFAT, MACOS partition and as many types as you wish.
View attachment 421873
Thank you @jkyoho, during the below process:

Screenshot.png

So, does Hekate comprehend the distinct partitions to flash each OS if I pre-allocated by PC as your picture, or does Hekate manage it automatically?

As shown in my attached image above, I'm unsure whether, for Linux (as an example), I need to create a pre-partition in EXT4 on my PC, let's say 160GB, and the remaining space in FAT32 for HOS, emuMMC, and Android. Alternatively, does Hekate autonomously handle the partitioning with compatible partition types (such as EXT4)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto