Hacking Secondary emuMMC with different format.

Glendor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,

Im new over here.

I’ll introduce my case:
Actually, im having a Switch OLED with a Picofly chip installed and i have all hekate and the emuMMC with Athmosohere in a 256 Gig sd ovrr exFat format.

I only have a main partition, so the emuMMC was done using the “SD File” option on hekate when creating the emuMMC.

On that one, im installing my current nsp,xci files etc… but now, i badly want to emulate som GBA games and i read about RetroArch, but the point is that my sd is on exFAT format, and this seems to be a problem.

Now , my question is :

Is it possible to , first backup all my sd files on my pc.
Then, create a raw partition with 32 Gigs and format it to FAT 32. After that, restore my backup files on the bigger partition and then create a new emuMMC on that 32GIG FAT32 partition and use it only for retro arch ?
I know that i probably will need to modify the .ipl to declare this new emummc boot option, but honestly i dont know if just restoring the backup files from my actual situation will work… please guys give me some light over here regarding this.

Appreciate it <3

Regards.

Glendor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If your emu is files based Just backup your sd, format to fat32 and restore your backup.
Hi, tx for the reply.

The point is that i want to have like 2 emmuMMC at the same time starting from my non partitioned SD card.

So i want to have mu current emuMMC on one partition (exFAT) with everything i have now and then another smaller partition (FAT32) with another athmospgere setup just to have RetroArtch there.

Is that even possible ?
Post automatically merged:

Hi, tx for the reply.

The point is that i want to have like 2 emmuMMC at the same time starting from my non partitioned SD card.

So i want to have mu current emuMMC on one partition (exFAT) with everything i have now and then another smaller partition (FAT32) with another athmospgere setup just to have RetroArtch there.

Is that even possible ?
And if so, ho do i manage to do it ? I guess that starting from a empty SD only with hekate and exFAT format, i can then create a raw partition from hekate ( im assuming that this option creates a FAT32 partition, idk ) and then, restore the ssd backup on the sd file and create a emummc on the partion i created. And then on that partition just install athmosphere and from there just put the RetroArch.

Im i correct ?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. There's really no reason to have more than one exFAT/FAT32 partition on your microSD card, and in fact I'd discourage you from using exFAT at all. Having multiple emuMMCs is not a problem, but the problem is that Horizon OS will read the first exFAT/FAT32 partition it comes across, regardless of which emuMMC you boot. There's really no reason (that I can think of) to have a dedicated emuMMC for RetroArch. I DO think you should check out Lakka for Switch. It's a Linux distro that's pretty much dedicated to running RetroArch.

If you really want to set up two emuMMCs, I'd follow this tutorial. Note that in this example, they're both partition-based, not file-based. Which in my opinion is the better way to go. In any case, both emuMMCs share access to the same FAT32 partition.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/multipl...restoring-a-clean-nand-for-online-use.562188/

Reactions: Glendor

Glendor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes and no. There's really no reason to have more than one exFAT/FAT32 partition on your microSD card, and in fact I'd discourage you from using exFAT at all. Having multiple emuMMCs is not a problem, but the problem is that Horizon OS will read the first exFAT/FAT32 partition it comes across, regardless of which emuMMC you boot. There's really no reason (that I can think of) to have a dedicated emuMMC for RetroArch. I DO think you should check out Lakka for Switch. It's a Linux distro that's pretty much dedicated to running RetroArch.

If you really want to set up two emuMMCs, I'd follow this tutorial. Note that in this example, they're both partition-based, not file-based. Which in my opinion is the better way to go. In any case, both emuMMCs share access to the same FAT32 partition.
Thank you @RHOPKINS13 , i think i would check on Lakka instead of messing something going with the dedicated emuMMC option.

I would consider to switch my current emuMMC file based to a partition, as you suggested its a better way to go.

Thanks for the help mate.

Reactions: RHOPKINS13

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1