1. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    What kind of issues might be present on 8.1 emummc (updated emummc from 8.0.1 to 8.1 with Choi) ? I was able to get it to work well with your recent kip build. So far I haven't run into issues.

2. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Well not sure, it's just standard with any new update that there may be any slew of weird kinks.

tabzer likes this.
  3. James Sableye

James Sableye Newbie
    Newcomer

Is it worth keeping my CFW on sysNAND and a clean build on emuNAND? I wont be updating my FW on CFW and it will let me update my clean build without burning fuses.

Any possible issues with this approach?

4. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

I do it reverse, SysNand for norm stuff since I don't really care for burnt fuses(not like Im gonna downgrade or anything), EmuMMC for CFW stuff.

5. James Sableye

James Sableye Newbie
    Newcomer

i hear you. i'm just thinking, my switch is on 8.0.1 stock FW and who knows, if a softmod comes out in the future that can autoboot CFW without RCM i'd like to hope i'm not already patched out!

6. James Sableye

James Sableye Newbie
    Newcomer

OK - so my idea wasn't great one. When you boot into emuNAND the hbmenu is set-up. therefore emuNAND is never clean. The only way to stay clean curently is to use the internal NAND.

7. alevan

alevan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Romania
    Is there a way to test it if I am using emummc instead of the native soldered emmc?

8. Bl4ckeagle

Bl4ckeagle Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    @alevan
    I think the most easiest way is to create different users?

9. chinesekidx

chinesekidx Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I followed your tutorial and was able to installed emummc. But everything I install through goldleaf/tinfoil usb-installation gets corrupted eventually. I managed to successfully install mario kart 8 and couple rounds in, I get an error and my game corrupts. I know its not the nsp, because I've used the same one before installing emummc and everything worked fine. Is this happening to any1 else?
    I'm using a genuine 128GB sandisk U1 microsd card.

10. Patrykek

Patrykek Newbie
    Newcomer

Poland
    Corruption of games is normal on EmuMMC.

11. chinesekidx

Newcomer

United States
    How normal is it though? 90% of the time that install games, they ended up corrupted. And I'm running 8.0.1 to avoid anything unstable from 8.1.

Would switching sd cards help with this? Or we just have to wait for a more stable release at this point?

12. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Read first part of thread on SD cards.

13. chinesekidx

Newcomer

United States
    I read that part. Are all Samsung Evo microsd cards 100% working? I have a 128gb Samsung Evo u3 that I can try later on.

So this corruption/crash issue has nothing to do with write speeds or anything?

14. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    If I want emummc for CFW stuff and sysmmc for online... I need to disable autoRCM to boot normally into sysmmc, is that right? And everytime I want to go into emummc I have to dothe jig stuff again?

15. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Yep; personally I just removed my vol + strap from my modchip so I Only have to press power + vol up to boot cfw.

16. henkp

henkp Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Wouldn't it be possible to just hekate reboot into stock?

btw still figuring out whether i'm currently using emummc or sysmmc. Don't dare to do a 'Normal' reboot myself until somebody confirms the above...

Edit: so it seems Atmosphere boots with a black&white logo when using emunand. Yet, as I only just got my emunand running and switch was completely clean before, can somebody point me to which screen/image should be black&white? Preferably with the color-edition next to it to make sure I get the difference :unsure:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  17. Atmosfear

Atmosfear Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    Could you add that to your tutorial please? I had the same issue.

18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Global Moderator

France
    unfortunately not possible anymore since 7.x
    But that would be great if there were a way to boot (hook up) the official nintendo bootloader from RCM.

You could set the Home menu differently, theme color, etc.
    For example, if you install the HBL channel on emuMMC you'll know you are in CFW if you see it.
    different users might be a little less quicker to notice, it's only a small icon in the top, but up to you to remember the method you use to differentiate them.

@TariqSoftDev
    Just a confirmation, in your guide for windows, when using dd you say "<Disk we identified on previous step>"
    but there isn't any example (I'm sure it's on purpose to prevent users from copy/paste wrong commandline?), but do we have to type all the line including the slashes and question mark, \\?\Device\etc... or just the Harddiskvolumexx name, its number, or the mounted letter?

General question to all users:
    Are you using different SD Card for sysNAND and emuNAND?
    or keeping the same SD card for both and relying on the different folder name only to hope nintendo doesn't detect your emuMMC partition and data on it?
    If you use different one, it might be annoying to always swap SD cards, but also might be a problem if emuMMC reboots by itself due to error and you are not ready to swap SD or use Jig.

Is there a safeguard to only launch Atmosphere using EmuMMC and not boot atmosphere over sysNAND?
    if the ini file is wrong it doesn't launch at all, or it launches sysNAND?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    TariqSoftDev likes this.
  19. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

It states it in the guide along with a picture, it's needed to type it all since that is what dd for windows links too.

As for your question; I use a single 256G card with my modchip, I removed the Vol up strap so I can dual boot at a buttons press then used Argon with my quad boot files so I can tap & launch ubuntu, emummc and lakka with ease.

• As you can see K: is my EmuMMC partition and it is linked to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume19, this is the disk we will write to via DD.
    • Using the CMD dd if=<your_emummc_bin_path> bs=512M of=<Disk we identified on previous step> --progress image your EmuMMC onto the last partition.

Cyan likes this.
  20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Global Moderator

France
    when you said "it's the disk we will write" it could mean just the "disk name" like "harddiskVolume19" only. Maybe to be less confusing you could add "all the line, including the slashes and question mark") or "this is the link we will write" instead of disk
    that's probably me being too strict on writing guides, but I like providing as much information as possible to prevent user errors. I suppose at worse, dd doesn't write anything and it's not dangerous.

thanks for the SD Card answer. I might just use the same card too.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    TariqSoftDev likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Quadboot, EmuMMC, setup