Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think we need more activity in the dsi hacking community. we haven't had very many people out in the field trying to hack this game system. i have been trying to hack it (failing though, of course). Imagine what we can do once we hack it. We will use the cameras facial recognition features and intergrate them to our computers through wi-fi. We could make a NAND browser so people can explore the NAND more freely. We could even emulate the firmware on a computer just like dolphin did for the wii. there are endless possibilities. this is what most of the people checking out the dsi hacking community need to know. if we have more people on the frontline trying to get more info of this NAND, then will have more of a chance of getting the homebrew channel. We have endless possibilities in the computer community in general. Think about it this way. The dsi is basically a mini computer with a 2 screens, two cameras, and one mic. all intergrated into the system. I hope now since you read this you've decided to become more involved in the dsi hacking community.

P.S. Your not being drafted
laugh.gif

EDIT: Did this thread go empty?
[/quote]

starfighter1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems it. And as for me i know next to nothing about dsi hacking/coding but im working on getting to know this stuff more and would really like to help but ah well at least im staying in the know. i do know some about game exploit codes though.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Have Twiizers released there hack yet? I think with that we'll be lots furthur into hacing it. Also, what happened with hack with drunken coders? Any way somebody could implement that in some way to install something onto the console?

Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know i think using the drunken coders exploit could help us get the common key because of-course the dsi is going to trust a dsi-mode game to access its NAND.

Saphiresurf

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know i think using the drunken coders exploit could help us get the common key because of-course the dsi is going to trust a dsi-mode game to access its NAND.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Why does the DSi need a homebrew channel just because the Wii has one and the Wii doesn't even have a NAND browser (not that I know of.) so I doubt the DSi will have one. We can use flashcarts for homebrew. We need to get Flashcarts in DSi mode instead of a DSi Homebrew Channel. Although it could fill the menu.
smileipb2.png

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
WarioN64 said:
Why does the DSi need a homebrew channel just because the Wii has one and the Wii doesn't even have a NAND browser (not that I know of.) so I doubt the DSi will have one. We can use flashcarts for homebrew. We need to get Flashcarts in DSi mode instead of a DSi Homebrew Channel. Although it could fill the menu.
smileipb2.png

let me put it to you this way. Which would you rather? Having to buy an extra piece of hardware and a microSD card to play homebrew/ROMs or would you rather have a softmod which allowed you to play straight of the SD slot?

I'll let you think about that for a while.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there even a common key to find? I know people are sure of it but Nintendo may have used something else.

Many people cant afford flashcarts, or just plain don't want to use one due to crap compatibility issues and clones. It would also show Nintendo that nothing is unhackable. Also the DSi doesn't use channels, it uses blocks
tongue.gif
Homebrew Block doesn't really sound good though
tongue.gif

As for a hard mod, maybe. Wasn't that how the Wii HBC started? Then softmodding came into play. Anyways, that would probably be the first hack.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chaz. said:
Is there even a common key to find? I know people are sure of it but Nintendo may have used something else.

Many people cant afford flashcarts, or just plain don't want to use one due to crap compatibility issues and clones. It would also show Nintendo that nothing is unhackable. Also the DSi doesn't use channels, it uses blocks
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

As for a hard mod, maybe. Wasn't that how the Wii HBC started? Then softmodding came into play. Anyways, that would probably be the first hack.

I like your name, but not your views.

I believe Flashcarts are a great way to get the most out of a DSi without damaging it or risking warranty void.

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saphiresurf said:
CrimsoniteX said:
Saphiresurf said:
EDIT: can the camera have better quality through firmware updates like the iphone was.

No, the cameras they used in the DSI are the same ones as the shitty cell phone cameras that came out 5 years ago. No matter what they do, maximum resolution is going to be 640x480, and the lack of a dedicated flash means bad lighting.
that sucks, but they could use the screen as a flash for the camera on the inside.

Give up. It's impossible.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Chaz. said:

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I like your name, but not your views.

I believe Flashcarts are a great way to get the most out of a DSi without damaging it or risking warranty void.
I like your name too!

I do also think that flashcarts are great, hell I think the DSTTi is the best of them all but it has now broken before it started to update to 1.4. Now I would rather have something more stable, which I think would be a Homebrew Block on the DSi

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chaz. said:

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

There IS a common key. There HAS to be, there is no other way. Sorry, but you obviously don't understand this sort of thing that well (I don't either, but I understand this much). There is no way to do it without a common key. They need to have a common and a private key. Besides that, loopy already found the common key, hence there MUST be one. And I'm pretty sure Twiizers have it by now too.

And HBC didn't exactly start as a hardmod. The first homebrew run on Wii was GC homebrew via a modchip. This was used to map Wii memory via Twiizer attack. This let them find the common key, and also trucha bug. This allowed them to start hacking Wii mode instead of GC mode. The first thing done was they edited Lego Star Wars to add an FPS counter, trucha signed it and booted it with a modchip. After this, because they had common key, they could decrypt stuff, and they started working on Twilight Princess, because it was a popular game. They managed to make a buffer overflow exploit by replacing Epona's (the horse) name, allowing them to run unsigned code. They then used trucha bug to install fakesigned content (i.e. HBC). Of course, more things happened between those, and a lot has happened since. But a hardmod was never used directly for HBC. And you never needed a hardmod to use it.

Anyway, in reference to people on the last page asking about "Twiizer's exploit" and "WinterMute's exploit"; These are one and the same. The video released by Twiizers was of WinterMutes's exploit. And this exploit isn't very useful, because of the tiny savefile size, meaning there isn't much room for custom code. But it's a start.

And people are saying "Why will there be a homebrew channel, we have flashcarts?" or similar things; For one, current flashcarts compatible with DSi System Menu 1.4 are afaik illegal because they use copyrighted banner code. Another thing, an HBC makes sense. On a System like the DSi which has "channels" or "blocks" or whatever they're called, it makes sense that someone should reverse-engineer them to make an easy way to launch homebrew. Same with the Wii. I disagree strongly with the statement "We dont need an HBC, we have flashcarts"; that's like saying for the Wii "We dont need HBC, we have modchips", and I dont hear many people saying that.

In case of TL;DR - Basically, There IS a common key, Twiizer's exploit IS released and we DO need an HBC (btw, I say we, I dont even have a DSi)

aneotoena

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik there is no official/trustfull info about loopy having the common key. It was something that was said in the IRC and then started to grow in the web.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think nintendo has actually done something good on their part...

1. no one has truly been able to hack it, they managed to reimage it and have flashcarts, but thats it

2. the fact that they have been using started using actual firmware, and the fact that they havent introduced a new one since 1.4 means that its solid.

i think we have to think outside the box, or in this case the rectangular prism... lol. we have the iplayer and the announced supercard ds two, which has more memory and its own hardware, but i still think there could be more

if only (i forget the guys name) he could collaborate and cooperate with the other ppl and teams out here...

QUOTE said:
The first homebrew run on Wii was GC homebrew via a modchip.

well then maybe thats what we should do for the dsi along with the flashcarts, but instead we shape, incase, and have it read as a SD memory card.

that should be able to do the trick... shouldn't it?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had a little chat with WinterMute, about 2 days ago. He's very much active. I believe he said something about.....Darn it forgot. It started with AP, or something like that. I think you can catch him at #dsidev.

starfighter1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok well i dont know to much about hacking but as the action replay used codes to allow you to do things that you shouldnt in games couldnt the same idea be put to work in allowing for a game exploit (and i understand that could have been a totally noob statement.)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
starfighter1 said:
ok well i dont know to much about hacking but as the action replay used codes to allow you to do things that you shouldnt in games couldnt the same idea be put to work in allowing for a game exploit (and i understand that could have been a totally noob statement.)

You mean use an action replay code to make an exploit in a game? That could work, but for the fact that Action Replay can do no more than a flashcart (i.e. on DSi, action replay will boot the same way as a flashcart and will run in DS mode). Recently datel have gotten lazy, and Action Replays work off the homebrew scene's developments. E.g. on DS, it was basically a flashcart with a specific firmware on it, on PSP, it was a pandora's battery and MMS etc. Therefore your idea will no0t work I'm afraid. If datel DID find something, allowing them to run cheats on DSi only games (or DSi enhanced games), it should be possible to make an AR cheat code to trigger an exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol