Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qaz00 said:
Why this won't work:

DS Processors: ARM9 (32bit) @ 67MHz / ARM7 (32bit) @ 33MHz
N64 Processor: NEC VR4300 (64bit) @ 93.75MHz
The DSes ARM7 is busy doing sound and IO so that cannot be used for emulation so you will have to use the ARM9 - which is 26.57MHz slower than the NEC VR4300.
The ARM9 is a completely different architecture and bus width to the NEC VR4300 so a recompiler or interpreter will have to be used.
You can't use a static recompiler cos writing one is near impossible (and even if you could it would still be slow).
You could write an interpreter but it would be extremely slow (1 NEC VR4300 instruction for several hundred ARM9 instructions).
You could write a dynamic recompiler but it would still be very slow (1 NEC VR4300 for 10 to 100 ARM9 instructions).
The DS's processors are far too slow.

DS RAM: 4MB
N64 RAM: 4MB (8MB with Expansion Pak)
But some of the DS's RAM will need to be used for the emulator itself, the N64 ROM cache (cos you can't run directly off of the microSD), the CPU's registers/caches and the SGI RCP's VRAM/registers/caches.
An EXRAM pak (ez3in1, Opera RAM Pak) would be far too slow.
You don't have enough RAM.

DS Graphics: Unprogrammable 3D Graphics (max. 2048 Polys per frame)
N64 Graphics: Fully Programmable SGI RCP (64bit) @ 62.5MHz (max 24000 Polys per frame)
You will have to emulate the N64's graphics processor on the ARM9 as well because the DS's graphics are unprogrammable and considerably worse than the N64's.
You have to put even more strain on the (already overused) ARM9.

The DS is too slow, doesn't have enough RAM and has far worse graphics. Even if you write a perfectly working emulator nothing will be playable due to speed issues.

noo!!! he has trolled you, we must stop the troll b4 hes trolled others!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I like the title "Duel Screen 64". Will this emulate the top and bottom screens fighting to the death? That would be interesting.
tongue.gif

It would be a better idea than trying something that is technically impossible.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Quietlyawesome94 said:
shub13 said:
Cancelled

Good choice. FYI everyone me and quz explained it in detail in a IRC Chat @ #Daedalusx64.
._. You don't love us enough to explain the details to us TT-TT.

qaz already did. IRC is quicker. I still love everyone though! Hugz?
wub.gif

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to see wide eyed hopes dashed. Reminds me of my youth, with my overly ambitious C64 projects that never amounted to more than about 10 lines of "print" and "goto" commands.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this gets anywhere I'll eat my whole hat collection. (50+ hats) I'm not saying it's impossible but no one's ever going to do it alone, if at all, let alone without knowing exactly how both systems work. (I'm not talking about N64 uses processor X while DS uses processor Y, you need to know exactly how each part is loaded, and how to interact with each part to even have a tinsy tiny chance of it working on a system like the DS)

My only rule is I will only eat those hats if you do it WITHOUT using Win2DS. lol

btw check out My newest Project:

DSPSP

PLAY STATION PORTABLE EMULATOR FOR THE NINTENDO DS

Features:

Emulation of the following games:
- Crysis 2
- Mortal Kombat Deception: Unchained
- Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
Audio
All controls automatically (and magically) change to PSP, such as the 4 direction d-pad becomes a 360 degree analog stick

/JK about DSPSP
tongue.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
THE FUCK?!

I clicked on this thinking someone actually succeeded in doing this but it turned out to be some noob with his head in the clouds (or up his ass, whatever) who knows less than nothing about programming
dry.gif

/rant

shub13 said:
This Will be a Big Project and It will Probaly recieve alot of spam saying "It Cant be done give up"
or "N64 On DS Is Impossible"

But Im going to Ignore those kinds of posts and Continue with this Project
QUOTE(shub13 @ Aug 27 2011, 09:59 AM) Cancelled
Meh, I didn't expect anything else...

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, you guys, admittedly this guy had no idea what he was doing. But you don't have to be a cunt about it.
I'm sure he wasn't trolling, he just seemed misinformed.

D

Deleted_278676

they are right I think you need more power to run Nintendo 64bit games on a handheld gaming device, if the ds had the power the psp had it would be possible but the Nintendo DS has less power than the Nintendo 64 it's self, most handhelds have less power then the console. The Sega game gear was a handheld form of the Sega master-system buy the handheld had less power.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
shub13 said:
Cancelled

Just like every stupid idea you have for projects which you wouldn't have the first idea on how to create, even if they were possible.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Misleading and bordering on troll. This person lacks enough understanding/expertise/skill to not be able to do anything yet that same lack of competence is preventing them from realizing how ridiculous this looks. Please lock.

EDIT: "Cancelled." Just like that...? Now I strongly believe this was nothing but a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hope im not going to die from it before i see the ent in a month