ROM Hack RELEASE Dragon Quest XI S Enhanced Draw Distance mod

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The poor draw distance in this game was spoiling it for me so I created a patch to double the scale value, focus on the hanging torch in the walls:

Normal draw distance

Enhanced draw distance (x2.5 scale)

Tested in both (docked and handheld), with maxed out CPU.
Increasing draw distance beyond 2.5 lags the the game in complex areas (Gondollia), also slightly increased the shadow distance scale but it's not that noticeable tbh, anyway I hope you enjoy it as much as me :D

Usage: Unrar 01006C300E9F0000.rar drop the folder in your
Code:
mSD:atmosphere/titles/
, use sysclk to set CPU at max (maybe GPU too) or else the game will lag.

FOR DEVS: The file modded is "DefaultScalability.ini", I modded it out desperation, didn't expect it to work, but it worked!
There are other interesting settings you can play with, I attached the ini too (JackGame.rar).

Attachments

• JackGame.rar
    973 bytes · Views: 457
  • 01006C300E9F0000.rar
    3.4 KB · Views: 577
Last edited by cucholix,

Hairy-Breeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is great and much needed! Have you tried with ReverseNX on handheld? I suppose that would cause fps drops regardless of OC, so I'm wondering if we could scale it down if that's the case.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is great and much needed! Have you tried with ReverseNX on handheld? I suppose that would cause fps drops regardless of OC, so I'm wondering if we could scale it down if that's the case.
1 is the default value for draw distance scale, not sure if it will accept 0 or negative values.

However you can turn off post processing effects to increase performance.

Last edited by cucholix,

Hairy-Breeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1 is the default value for draw distance scale, not sure if it will accept 0 or negative values.

However you can turn off post processing effects to increase performance.
How do you turn off post processing effects? I'm think also, to maybe turn down distance scale to either 1.5 or 2.0 but I haven't actually tested it yet.

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The poor draw distance in this game was spoiling it for me so I created a patch to double the scale value, focus on the hanging torch in the walls:
https://twitter.com/Cucholix/status/1182413018778390528
Normal draw distance

https://twitter.com/Cucholix/status/1182412622815064064
Enhanced draw distance (x2.5 scale)

Tested in both (docked and handheld), with maxed out CPU.
Increasing draw distance beyond 2.5 lags the the game in complex areas (Gondollia), also slightly increased the shadow distance scale but it's not that noticeable tbh, anyway I hope you enjoy it as much as me :D

Usage: Unrar 01006C300E9F0000.rar drop the folder in your
Code:
mSD:atmosphere/titles/
, use sysclk to set CPU at max (maybe GPU too) or else the game will lag.

FOR DEVS: The file modded is "DefaultScalability.ini", I modded it out desperation, didn't expect it to work, but it worked!
There are other interesting settings you can play with, I attached the ini too (JackGame.rar).
Are the values all commented out by default? I.E. are
Code:
r.ViewDistanceScale=2.0
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=2.0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=3
r.Streaming.PoolSize=800
all of the values you modified? Are the commented values what the game uses by default?

Reactions: falcorr

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Are the values all commented out by default? I.E. are
Code:
r.ViewDistanceScale=2.0
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=2.0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=3
r.Streaming.PoolSize=800
all of the values you modified? Are the commented values what the game uses by default?
All the settings are commented by default, except 2, I uncommented only the first 3 in your list. I guess they are built in, uncommenting them overrides main settings.

Last edited by cucholix,

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the settings are commented by default, except 2, I uncommented only the first 3 in your list. I guess they are built in, uncommenting them overrides main settings.
Did you find r.ScreenPercentage anywhere? Could potentially open up higher reses.

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but in other ini files, didn’t made any difference in gameplay though.
EDIT: Got it working, going to list the settings that seem to be working or not working:
Working:
Code:
ViewDistanceScale
Not Working:
Code:
MaxAnisotropy, Streaming.PoolSize, PostProcessAAQuality, ShadowQuality, MotionBlurQuality
EDIT: Testing a good amount, the only one I've noticed a difference with was ViewDistanceScale. If anyone can find another one that changes anything let me know.

Last edited by Niko_of_Death,
Reactions: cucholix

one-piece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, there are framedrops even with Max OC in dock flag. Did you tried to change the ini and pack everything to x1.5 or x2?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yes, there are framedrops even with Max OC in dock flag. Did you tried to change the ini and pack everything to x1.5 or x2?
The only setting applied in that specific ini is draw distance, all the other settings are ignored in game.

There’s a gain in frames when setting draw distance to 1.5 - 2.0 yeah, but personally prefer drop some frames instead having noticeable pop in, I can do a pack with draw distance to 1.5 and 2.0 if people is interested though.

Overall with draw distance to 2.5 I only noticed frame drops in Gondolia, and some areas in Gallopolis.

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: one-piece

one-piece

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only setting applied in that specific ini is draw distance, all the other settings are ignored in game.

There’s a gain in frames when setting draw distance to 1.5 - 2.0 yeah, but personally prefer drop some frames instead having noticeable pop in, I can do a pack with draw distance to 1.5 and 2.0 if people is interested though.

Overall with draw distance to 2.5 I only noticed frame drops in Gondolia, and some areas in Gallopolis.
Pretty please, it would be amazing.
I get dizzy with the sudden change of frames, so I would like to experiment the best setting before drops.

Yes the drops are prominent in Gallopolis and gondolia and even in the fields with monsters in the distance and foliage.

Lower DrawDistance options

cucholix

00000780 00000438
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Pretty please, it would be amazing.
I get dizzy with the sudden change of frames, so I would like to experiment the best setting before drops.

Yes the drops are prominent in Gallopolis and gondolia and even in the fields with monsters in the distance and foliage.
There you go

Attachments

• DrawDistanceScale 1-5.rar
    1.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DrawDistanceScale 2-0.rar
    1 KB · Views: 235

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over