• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you reckon guns should be banned in the U.S.? (Please vote)

Should guns be banned in the U.S.?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 50.9%
  • No.

Votes: 81 49.1%

• Total voters

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if everyone in the US is so tissy about "right to bare arms". Go with 1776 tech then...
Muskets suck...

Let's do it.
Everyone gets a musket.
You may be able to aim, but you will hit your target about as much as a stormtrooper will hit Luke Skywalker.

Reactions: Taleweaver

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why the flying feck can I not own a nuke?

You'd have to have the infrastructure/capital to maintain and launch a nuke. If you could "bear" it, I don't see how the constitution would stop you.

This country is in no way regulated, let alone well.

That is a contradiction. Of course American government does infringe on the right to bear arms, like clockwork. People ask them to every time there is a school shooting, and the government responds with more regulation. However, the school shootings are supposedly increasing in frequency, not decreasing.

Ban all unnecessary weapons of violence.
There are absolutely no legitimate reason to own an offensive, unless you are a military unit, in which it should only be used on duty.

Bold opinion.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
This is such a rocky subject to talk about it always has been, personally i think they should be banned and my reasoning behind it is simple, no access or ownership to guns (or harmful weapons) means people get to keep their lives!

i know in america there are a lot of people who are proud of having one, keeping it locked up for safety and have it purely for security if something goes wrong.. but what about those who can get access to the ones that arnt or knows where the keys or combination are?!

too many times do we all see on the news shootings in schools, streets or any other locations.. who are any of us to take a life?!

i would rather see the ban and know that people i never met anywhere in the world is a bit safer and gets to grow up and appreciate life rather than someone for whatever reason take it away from them

stealthninja77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the USA the right to bare arms is for one reason and one reason only. To keep the government in check. Criminals will always find a way to hurt others in mass. There have been mass casualties caused by evil individuals that didn't involve firearms. Punishing the law abiding citizens doesn't solve the issue with mental health. VILLIANS ALWAYS FIND A WAY. Lets ban Sissors & Knives . Pencils anything sharp? YES!

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ehm, i'm in the middle here:
Yes, any burger of the U.S. should be able to get a gun good enough to hurt someone.
This for it can take a while before a police officer can help you when there's danger.

No, you don't need a gun to be able to actual easy kill people.
Why the hell would you ever need a automatic rifle to defend yourself?
If you'are in such a neighborhood, does it really help by adding violence?

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, the good ol' 2A excuse. The constitution is not an absolute be all end all thing. It's heavily outdated because it's based on the views and principles of people from back in the 18th century. There's no way they would have predicted technology to grow this large and advanced and common sense to change so drastically as time goes on.

And there's the whole "anything can be used as a weapon" excuse. Mass casualties occur in other major developed countries, but it's the frequency of such incidents to occur is what's different. They don't happen as often therefore has way less frequent deaths happening in those places. Meanwhile, the US can also have those same incidents along with gun violence and shootings added into the mix and makes the death toll skyrocket.

But I guess it's too late at this point. We'll just continue to see more and more innocent people and children die and then everyone starts to become desensitized about it and get used to it to the point where it's "normal" for it all to happen (and there's already signs of that happening as more and more people ignore lesser and smaller shootings).

Last edited by NyaakoXD,
Reactions: Skelletonike

RoxFox64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you know much about gun sales. It takes like 2 weeks to purchase a gun because you have the legally able to purchase a gun, the dealer has to run your information, and the serial number has to be associated with your identity with the ATF. Some places even do ballistic fingerprinting making it so that if a bullet is found and intact enough the precise gun that fired it can be identified with some margin of error.

Also mental illness is already taken into account when you want to purchase a fire arm. There's really a lot to the whole gun purchasing process in the United States that people who have never even attempted to purchase a gun before like to complain about.

It also doesn't take a background check to buy a car. EVERY gun sale requires a background check from the NICS and has for an eternity.

And just to be clear, I don't own a gun myself, but I have friends who worked in a gun shop, who did offer me a handgun at a great discount, but the amount of effort it actually would take for me to purchase it was seriously not worth the time for me to do target shooting every once in a blue moon.

Last edited by RoxFox64,

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a sad hypothetical if guns are banned in the US.

Person A: Law Abiding citizen. Owns a gun, never used it, never loaded, only takes it out for regular cleaning.
Person B: Criminal, has unregistered guns, used many times, never caught.

New law bans gun. Person A, being a law abiding citizen, hands in his firearm as to avoid becoming a criminal. Yay him. Person B, already a criminal, doesn't see the need to turn it in. Why would he? What happens? Person B uses gun to harm Person A, stealing from him and possibly worse. Person A may have other methods of defense, but that requires being in close proximity to tackle or hidden away as to avoid being shot at. And Person A isn't going to Home Alone trap his house every night as if to know when Person B is going to show up and which route he'll take.

Given that scenario, do you think making firearm possession illegal is a smart play? Would Person A have had a better chance if it wasn't criminal to have one? The only people who would carry a firearm after a law like that are those who already use them to commit criminal acts. You'd just be giving them more easy targets.

I don't want to advocate that there should be more gun in people's hands, but to quote Robert Heinlein, "An armed society is a polite society." Sane people are less likely to attack others if they know those around them can just as easily fight back with the same amount of force.

Last edited by Dimensional,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you know much about gun sales. It takes like 2 weeks to purchase a gun because you have the legally able to purchase a gun, the dealer has to run your information, and the serial number has to be associated with your identity with the ATF. Some places even do ballistic fingerprinting making it so that if a bullet is found and intact enough the precise gun that fired it can be identified with some margin of error.

Also mental illness is already taken into account when you want to purchase a fire arm. There's really a lot to the whole gun purchasing process in the United States that people who have never even attempted to purchase a gun before like to complain about.

It also doesn't take a background check to buy a car. EVERY gun sale requires a background check from the NICS and has for an eternity.

And just to be clear, I don't own a gun myself, but I have friends who worked in a gun shop, who did offer me a handgun at a great discount, but the amount of effort it actually would take for me to purchase it was seriously not worth the time for me to do target shooting every once in a blue moon.
Current federal law does not require background checks on sales between unlicensed parties, and there are other legal loopholes that allow one to buy a gun without a background check.

Regarding sales with background checks, if a background check times out without being completed, the sale can often proceed without it.

Nearly a quarter of all American gun sales are done without background checks. I don't think you know much about gun sales.

Xellos2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since when crimials follow law? Guns is not the issue, the oen who use them for crimials act is. I live in Chicago, one fo the city with the strictest gun law and we have a huge gang issue. Things is, it is a lot easier to kill kids with a car then guns. Rent a u haul and start running down kids and there isn;t a damn thing you can d about it. Or better yet, car jack a truck and start killing.

A lot of these mass shooting deal with mentally unstable people; but a lot of time these are not reported ti proper authoerity,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not directly banned, but a stronger regularity. Something needs to be changed, that a weapon cant be used that easy way, particular by the wrong pearson, to kill other.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In my country any type of weapon is illegal to own unless you have a reason (it's a pain to get a certificate to carry even if you're a professional athlete that uses those for competitions and such).
Heck, anything with a blade over 10cm is illegal to carry.

Anyway, yeah, guns should be banned. Out of all the developed western countries, the USA has the highest crime rate (and given how big the US is, it's pretty bad).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I voted no solely because I'm assuming this would mean only our police get to keep them, and our police are fucking thugs in this country. The power trip they'd be on if they were able to intimidate whoever they want whenever they want would be insane. In a more utopian society where our LEOs were there to actually protect and serve us, absolutely I'd see no need to have a gun. So basically like most European countries.

bobdog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cars aren't listed in the constitution why is that even part of the argument. The only reason The second amendment was put in the constitution was to keep the government in check. This is well documented in papers written by the founding fathers of the united states. The cops are cowards. They have no obligation to keep you safe. In the 1989 landmark case of DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the failure by government workers to protect someone (even 4-year-old Joshua DeShaney) from physical violence or harm from another person (his father) did not breach any substantive constitutional duty. So how exactly are you suppose to protect your self ? If they pass gun control . Do you think the felons are magically going to turn there guns in? We all know how well the war on drugs worked. A lot of criminals got rich. They banned guns in england now you have knife attacks. Evil people will always find away to kill people.

Reactions: Xzi

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you know when i realized gun safety was an issue in the US was in an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 over 30 years ago

"The Next Fifty Years"
Original airdate: 11/7/1991

Episode summary: Scott Scanlon accidentally shoots and kills himself at his lame surprise birthday party that no one from West Beverly High had any interest in attending.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh... I'm just coming out and say it, because there's no way around it.

Americans... Your second amendment constitution thing is too outdated to take seriously.

Heck... Feel free to interpret it as "your constitution sucks", because let's face it: as a foreigner that's about the only thing we really know about your laws is that it's legal for any yahoo to buy weapons of mass destruction in your local grocery.

Erm... I hate to be the naive guy here, but...

Are you saying none of these regulations exist on guns?

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: What are we playing today?